Has anyone nailed Get On Your Boots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Don't know why this song is driving me crazy trying to get right, I don't even particularly like it much. oh well.

Anyway, here's my version, for what it's worth. I think I'm close but I also think I ought to be doing some signal splitting of my effects to two amps or something because it's the volume of the mix that seems off to my aging ears.

Would like to hear what other folks have tried. Plenty of good versions on the old You Tube but still not heard anything that quite nails it.

[youtube]W-mguHoi_qQ[/youtube]

Anything folks...words of advice, tips or "don't give up your day job?"

Its quite close your video.

Ive spent hours working out tones with the Zoom 505, a vintage piece of FX i borrowed off a friend.

I can record it when i get home from College tomorrow, and show you, tell me what you think :D?

In the video, I'm using the Fuzz Gun but I've stopped using it for GOYB because of a couple of things. Not really positive that The Edge is actually using this pedal on this particular song ("I used Death By Audio's Supersonic Fuzz Gun on the song 'No Line on the Horizon,' and a couple of others I think" - MOJO 2008) and I seem to get closer to the sound just using the DM4. The Fuzz Gun is a pain in the ass pedal...Edge might love it but I hate it, LOL.

In the video, I'm using the Fuzz Gun but I've stopped using it for GOYB because of a couple of things. Not really positive that The Edge is actually using this pedal on this particular song ("I used Death By Audio's Supersonic Fuzz Gun on the song 'No Line on the Horizon,' and a couple of others I think" - MOJO 2008) and I seem to get closer to the sound just using the DM4. The Fuzz Gun is a pain in the ass pedal...Edge might love it but I hate it, LOL.

I think your own video is almost the biggest proof that Edge does use the Fuzz Gun for the intro because your tone sounds almost spot on! Mick's version, for instance, with the DM4 is more album oriented:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p24b8WH64J0&feature=player_embedded

This again is the fuzz gun. Forget about the wrong riff he plays, the fuzz again is very unique and sounds like the live intro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPZAqcJqRk&feature=related

The only thing I'm not sure is if Edge doesn't switch from fuzz to distortion/overdrive + synth wah for the riff after the intro. The fuzz IMO is just too dominant for that part in your video. Also the live version has that OOMPH when he sets it in! Try fiddling around with that a little bit maybe. Your fuzz is dominant throughout the song (verse, bridge solo).

Otherwise good effort!

The only thing I'm not sure is if Edge doesn't switch from fuzz to distortion/overdrive + synth wah for the riff after the intro. The fuzz IMO is just too dominant for that part in your video. Also the live version has that OOMPH when he sets it in! Try fiddling around with that a little bit maybe. Your fuzz is dominant throughout the song (verse, bridge solo).

Otherwise good effort!

Sorry for not replying sooner, I meant too.

So, I took your advice and you're absolutely right. Thanks! Of course The Edge can buy a $300 pedal and just use it for one or two bars of a song! I'm now only using the fuzz gun for the intro and switching over to the DM4 for the rest of the song. It's pretty much nailed. A bit of tweaking and sticking a GE-7 after the DM4 to raise the mids (which I really need modified to quieten that bugger down) and we have our 'oomph'.

Now onto the next thing...the break bit after the first 'you don't know' section

@ 1 minute 25 into this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDuWsQoiAY8[/youtube]

that break part try 393ms with a bit more modulation
on the delay a kind of warble..
the Korg A3 has been mentioned for this part too
but a regular mod delay works

BB

Thanks BB. I had no idea Edge was using the A3 - coincidently and before seeing your post I programmed an autowah into the A3 for the intro and breaks and it seems to do a good job (though still not perfect on the breaks). My new version sounds a lot better.

changes I've made to the version I posted on you tube:
1) fuzz gun only on first two bars of the intro and first bar of the very last chorus (after the "let me in the sound" break.
2) an autowah from A3 on the first two bars of the intro, solo bit after the first "you are so beautiful", the "let me in the sound" break and first bar of the chorus after the "let me in the sound" break". I have the A3 input set low, at about 9 o'clock, to get that high freq sqwaky sound on the intro.
3) fender tweed twin amp instead of an ac-30.
4) tc 2290 for any delay instead of the sdd3k - though still using the sdd3k preamp.
5) ge-7 equalizer (modded to remove noise:heart:) - down on the lows, up on the mids and highs.
6) DM4 (screamer, mid drive) on throughout the song except for the scratching during the verses.

I think that is going through the DM4 pedal and not the DM4 Pro... that along with the Boss Noise Suppressor. In the Barcelona rehearsals, those pedals were marked as Harvard. So it seems that might be going through the Fender Harvard amp.

u2002.jpg

NOTE: Third from Left switch is ON and that piece of tape says: BOOTS.
u2003.jpg

Thanks BB. I had no idea Edge was using the A3 - coincidently and before seeing your post I programmed an autowah into the A3 for the intro and breaks and it seems to do a good job (though still not perfect on the breaks). My new version sounds a lot better.

1) fuzz gun only on first two bars of the intro and first bar of the very last chorus (after the "let me in the sound" break.
2) an autowah from A3 on the first two bars of the intro, solo bit after the first "you are so beautiful", the "let me in the sound" break and first bar of the chorus after the "let me in the sound" break". I have the A3 input set low, at about 9 o'clock, to get that high freq sqwaky sound on the intro.
4) tc 2290 for any delay instead of the sdd3k - though still using the sdd3k preamp.
5) ge-7 equalizer (modded to remove noise:heart:) - down on the lows, up on the mids and highs.
6) DM4 (screamer, mid drive) on throughout the song except for the scratching during the verses.

awesome find there Mr Orchestra! Particularly interesting to see that he may be using the Boost Comp model on the DM4 where I was using the Screamer - I'll have to try that. Also interesting to see his Fuzz Gun settings. His Synth Wah SENS control setting is a bit strange though - it's pretty much all the way down.

1:50 in, the part that Edge calls the "James Bond guitar"... might try less fuzz / distortion and more modulation. (Might be a flanger setting for that warble but I will have to double check that).

Declan Gaffney mentioned that there was a lot of EQ on the studio version for that "James Bond guitar" part. He also mentioned that EQ was done in the mix.

Declan Gaffney: "The Edge’s guitar sound is usually shaped through pedals rather than at the mixing stage. An exception was the ‘James Bond guitar’ part, which was radically thinned with EQ"
IT_U2_06A.jpg

As for live, that might explain the GE-7 with the highs up and lows rolled off.

Plus there is a wah part in the "Let Me In The Sound" (Edge calls that part "Spirit of Punk") part. I've seen some Tribute Edge's have programmed an autowah for that part. If you have an M13 or HD 500 that would be easy work.

[youtube]eGXo7SXEiC4[/youtube]

While it is possible, I'm not 100% convinced the A3 is used.

From the picture I posted, it looks like the Line 6 DM4, Boss NS-2 and Fender Harvard (amp) are involved.

I am not so certain that the Boss GE-7 is involved.

I do use an autowah for those sections, provided by the A3, but admittedly it's not very noticeable on the recording...I've been having problems reproducing my sounds accurately on my recordings, possibly due to the limitations of my computer's soundcard.

I don't have a Harvard...one wishes. :hyper:

I'm quite happy / contented with the sound that I have now achieved (more or less reproduced in that recording - though better 'live' as it were). I'm not going to spend any more cash just for some subtle tweaks; the DBA Fuzz Gun was really an unnecessary expense that I'm probably rarely going to use.

Fender Harvard's are a bit rare and rarer by the day. This has not been made easier as The Edge and Dallas have been buying them up lately!

The Fender Harvard was only made between 1955-1962.

As for what sounds you can get with what, you can get a TON of U2 related tones from a Line 6 M13. So don't worry if you don't have tons to spend. The tones that you have got so far, with they gear you have isn't bad. A little fine tuning and you will be that much more spot on. Keep up the good work and experimenting!

I do use an autowah for those sections, provided by the A3, but admittedly it's not very noticeable on the recording...I've been having problems reproducing my sounds accurately on my recordings, possibly due to the limitations of my computer's soundcard.

I don't have a Harvard...one wishes. :hyper:

I'm quite happy / contented with the sound that I have now achieved (more or less reproduced in that recording - though better 'live' as it were). I'm not going to spend any more cash just for some subtle tweaks; the DBA Fuzz Gun was really an unnecessary expense that I'm probably rarely going to use.

Fender Harvard's are a bit rare and rarer by the day. This has not been made easier as The Edge and Dallas have been buying them up lately!

The Fender Harvard was only made between 1955-1962.

As for what sounds you can get with what, you can get a TON of U2 related tones from a Line 6 M13. So don't worry if you don't have tons to spend. The tones that you have got so far, with they gear you have isn't bad. A little fine tuning and you will be that much more spot on. Keep up the good work and experimenting!

I have no intention of buying a Harvard, it would just be a bonus. I know all about them - I've been in the music business for over 20 years. I have had a couple of chances of buying one but both were refurbished - I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to buying vintage equipment - I would rather by as-is and get my own guy to refurbish under my direction.

As for the gear I already have, I would say that I already have about 15 grands worth of equipment, not including guitars, but I only buy if it's necessary (which is subjective). I think the only times where I've been unnecessarily excessive in buying equipment is buying that DBA Fuzz Gun (not really worth it IMO), a Kay Fuzztone (recently replaced by a homemade clone in a crybaby case) and the expense of getting my DM4 heavily modified for double presets and the ability to control changes via MIDI (great mods but, for the cost of those mods plus the other mods I had done to it, I could have bought an HD 500).

Thanks for your opinions, they're welcome, but as I tried to say in my earlier post, the latest recording does not do it all the justice - it does sound better 'live' and not processed by my computer software. I think some other people will empathize with those woes.

Hi my guess is that the DM4 on top of edge"s rack is sent direct to the harvard on a seperate signal path and that the synth wah is sent to his main amp rack.....

For the intro sound i used the DM4 set to tube drive and wah set to treble parked position (like the fly) and for the main sound its DM4 set to tube drive wah off to the harvard and DM4pro set to boost comp into the synth wah to main amp rack. With this combintation you get the overdrive for the riff and a clean chop from the synth wah. I also believe that Edge employs a similar technique on vertigo. Dm4 for main sound and tweed clean. Listen carefully and you will hear it come through....

Can anyone tell me what to use on the m13?

I did some work for a tribute Edge for a while. He'd used a M13 for some sounds at one point. He also used a HD 500 for smaller travel gigs.

If memory serves, when we use the Line 6 gear, we programmed two Dist/OD models...

...I think that it was a SubOctave Fuzz + another of the drives - It might have been the 'Classic Distortion' (Rat distortion model)

Let me look back through my notes and see if I can find some of the elements that could help. I don't remember off the top of my head.

If Chas (From Joshua Tree-LA) reads this post, he would be able to answer more accurately. Mick (from The Unforgettable Fire-NY) probably could also.

I found a video on YouTube where the guy said that he used: 'Sub Octave Fuzz' & the 'Buzz Saw' (Based on the Maestro Fuzz Tone).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoRHvgCSTE

Dave 'Trabantland' -- Who makes some great SDD-3K clones...

Trabantland

...amongst other pedals, made a video with Mick.

Dave used the DM4 (same distortions are in the M13) and the Digitech Synth Wah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV1qsaB3z_U&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLE51D121B426789B1

I think with the SubOctave with Buzz Saw (adding a Synth Wah when/if you get one) would get you close once you work on dialing it in.

The Facial Fuzz (Based on the Arbitor Fuzz Face) might work with the SubOctave, also.

Back
Top Bottom