Guitar settings and levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockhound252

War Child
Hi all. I got a problem. How can i level both guitars? Les paul and Strat. I see much difference in the volume. How do you think edge does that?

You can use a boost pedal or a separate overdrive with the gain set at zero and use the level to boost the volume. You would engage these effects w quieter guitars to level out the volume between guitars.

Probably different preamps for different instruments that run through different assigned patches in his custom multimillion dollar rig. Or they are selected manually by Dallas for each song. My stompbox suggestion is reasonably affordable and analogous in theory and function. Played a gig w a strat and a les paul and used a Boss OD for this purpose w excellent results.

I think Edge has multiple wireless units with volume levels assigned so that it will be even. im pretty sure that U2's got a touring sound engineer with them so they know what Edge needs.

I think Edge has multiple wireless units with volume levels assigned so that it will be even. im pretty sure that U2's got a touring sound engineer with them so they know what Edge needs.

So basically different preamps (in the wireless units) set to different levels for the different outputs of the different guitars.

Or use a compressor with single coil guitars with the output above unity to the level of the humbuckers guitar. Then turn it off when you play with the humbucker guitar.

or use some kind of clean boost? so that tonality wont be compromised?

alternatively i hear that Billy Gibbons use EQ so that all the guitars sound similar to his original 1959 LP standard (named Pearly Gates). I'm pretty sure that'll even out the tone and volume differences between guitars

or use some kind of clean boost? so that tonality wont be compromised?

alternatively i hear that Billy Gibbons use EQ so that all the guitars sound similar to his original 1959 LP standard (named Pearly Gates). I'm pretty sure that'll even out the tone and volume differences between guitars

True. But on the other hand The Reverend doesn't use a different guitar for every song. Pretty much the same guitar for most of the show. Which is even more ironic as Billy Gibbons is one of the biggest guitar collectors out there.

i think Billy do changes guitars occasionally for some aesthetics reasons. i know he's a good collector but his vintage collections are super valuable and i can imagine him afraid of bringing any of those guitars.

Of course the difference with Edge is that Billy wants the same sound, no matter which guitar he uses, and Edge actually wants that unique sound that every guitar has. Even if probably 99.9% of all people would never notice.

One approach isn't necessarily better or worse, and attention to detail is a very good thing. Although it stands to reason that Billy's guitar tech has it probably easier then Edge's. But based on all his interviews Dallas seems to value his boss's attention to detail.

well at least Edge doesn't use different kind of strats for every song, so..... it's easier for us to emulate him now? no?

I dare say that Edge is one of those artists who uses the most guitars on tour. That, together with his insane amounts of FX makes him one of the hardest guitarists to emulate.

His tone, not his playing style, is what makes Edge hard to emulate.

In my defense i said it's "easier" now to emulate him a bit, but still enormously difficult to pin down what he's using. however his strats aren't as mysterious as it used to be, so.

but again on this tour he's using 3 different kinds of strats (his actual signature guitar, one with black body/black guard and rosewood fingerboard, and one with sustainer) so it's not like everything is as clear as a bell.

In my defense i said it's "easier" now to emulate him a bit, but still enormously difficult to pin down what he's using. however his strats aren't as mysterious as it used to be, so.

but again on this tour he's using 3 different kinds of strats (his actual signature guitar, one with black body/black guard and rosewood fingerboard, and one with sustainer) so it's not like everything is as clear as a bell.
3 signatures. 1 tune down. 1 half tune down. 1 Usual tuning.

Back
Top Bottom