Guitar Rig 5 for U2 tones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbelcik

Refugee
After seeing the first two shows of the tour and getting to chat with the amazing Edge Orchestra before the Seattle show, I've been getting back into playing U2 songs on the guitar. I am currently using Guitar Rig 5 because I live in an apartment and was wondering if anyone else uses Guitar Rig 5 and had any advice for getting some nice Edge tones on it. I only have an Epiphone Les Paul so any tones for songs like UTEOTW would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

I might ditch my multi effect and get into plugins because they seem more convenient. do you find GuitarRig more useful than having a hardware?

Honestly, I don't really like Guitar Rig that much, but it's mainly because I just really want an Axe FX and I can't really get a good Edge sound out of it. But I'm a college student with not a lot of money so it'll be a while before I can afford it. I currently have an AC15 and a Line 6 M13, but I haven't been using the AC15; I do use the M13 for effects and Guitar Rig for amp modeling

well the bad news is that the chip Axe-FX II has got is discontinued so I'm pretty sure they might not release Axe-Fx III. i guess we got to use computers/plugins at some point. I hear tons of good things about Bias (or effects Positive Grid has produced) so I'm thinking of using it instead of searching for new pedals

also, does GutiarRig has effects? how good is it?

however I have heard some rumors about plugin version of Axe-Fx. i think it's a good news.

also, these days i haven't really played U2 songs or created tones based on U2. it's somehow very hard to produce that pristine clean tone unless if i use some lifeless sounding solid state amp model (like modeling of JazzChorus or something) but that actually doesnt sound right.....however these clean amps can produce some nice ambient sound so i think it's a win.

Last edited:
Can't they just make a better chip? Or am I drastically oversimplifying the situation?

Honestly though if they can make a plugin version of the Axe FX that's just as good, I would still prefer a hardware version. I just prefer having a standalone hardware version.

Guitar Rig does have effects, I think they're better than the amp simulations and pretty good to be quite honest. Some of them sound better than the ones on my M13.

I don't know too much about electronics but apparently folks at Fractal audio did make all the programs specifically tuned (or written) to that chip and that particular hardware which contributes to the high fidelity of that unit, so changing some important component would be tough because that will require additional processes of accommodating to that chip. Or at least that's what Fractal discussion forum says.

Last edited:
Plugin version must be pretty heavy tho it is probably too much for my 4 year old laptop.

Also I think Muad'zin might know more about this whole situations about these chips.

Last edited:
That's a shame about the chip. I had some dumb fantasy that I'd eventually save and get an Axe Fx II at some point. Now the price is going to go bananas! :lol:

I thought Axe8 can do a good job but apparently some people are using pedals with that unit so that it won't overload the computational power of that thing

Fractal definitely isn't just going to fold because a chip stopped getting made. I would be shocked if an AxeFx III isn't made. The market for all-in-one digital solutions is booming hard right now.

Yeah, the AXE8 and FX8 are definitely stripped down. I know I just want one unit that can do pretty much anything and from what I've read, the Axe FX does that and that's why I want it

Yeah. I was in the same boat. I got a Helix and I'm golden. Looking forward to Helix Native.

wait Helix Native will be a thing? holy hell. Im on board imma buying some DI box and audio interface.

Line 6

Problem with that is you'll always have at least a tiny bit of latency recording that way. For me I'll probably record guitar parts either completely dry or dry on one track for reamping in Native.

I have heard that Edge mostly records his guitar wet (so instead of tracking his DI sound then applying effects, he records sounds that went thru processors). that sounds kinda tough especially if you really want to dial in tones.

Im pretty sure that Fractal wouldn't just stop making multi-effect processors with amp sim because of the chips but people at the forum are predicting some kind of (drastic?) changes from Axe-FxII if they were to release next-gen unit.

Back
Top Bottom