guitar heroes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS

I was thinking, who are the most recent guitar heroes or influential guitar players ?

I am asking this because I am so out of touch from recent scenes. I like ambient guitarist like the Edge, Andy Summers, Johnny Marr, etc. I also start loving more "heavy" or obscure music so I start taking in inspirations from people like Tom Morello, Tony Iommi, Kim Thayil, Jerry Cantrell, etc.

But it is still true that my taste is bit old for 20-year-old, so I just would like to know the recent guitarist who are inspirational to "most" people.
Im horrible at this, as all I can think of is Annie Clark.

i just want your casual opinions on this. :hmm:

Newer players? Here are a few that come to mind:
  • Annie Clark (St. Vincent) - She is genius!
  • Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (Mars Volta / solo artist)
  • Nick Zinner (Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  • Matt Bellamy (Muse)
  • Carrie Brownstein & Corin Tucker (Sleater-Kinney) - Great band. So happy that they have made a new record. It's fantastic and shows what a REAL BAND can sound like - Powerful and awesome!
  • Noel Gallagher (Oasis/solo) - Love him or hate him, it can't be denied that he's written some great tunes over the past 21 years. His new album is super-cool.
  • Johnny Marr (Smiths/Solo) - He might always be know as that guy outta the Smiths but his work with other bands (The Cribs, Modest Mouse..) and his solo work, are all great guitar playing and songwriting. His latest, 'Playland' is fantastic! Highly recommended.
  • Jack White (White Stripes, The Raconteurs, Dead Weather, solo...) - Haters gonna hate but he's another guy that has created some great music, produced and given new life to older artists and been a key figure in the resurgence of vinyl. So hate if you will but dude is 'the goods'.
  • Dan Auerbach (Black Keys) - He, like Jack White, has done a lot to bring rock and blues back to the forefront.
  • Tom Morello (RATM/Audioslave) - Like The Edge or Hendrix, Morello has made 'his own sound' on guitar.

I was thinking, who are the most recent guitar heroes or influential guitar players ?

I am asking this because I am so out of touch from recent scenes. I like ambient guitarist like the Edge, Andy Summers, Johnny Marr, etc. I also start loving more "heavy" or obscure music so I start taking in inspirations from people like Tom Morello, Tony Iommi, Kim Thayil, Jerry Cantrell, etc.

But it is still true that my taste is bit old for 20-year-old, so I just would like to know the recent guitarist who are inspirational to "most" people.
Im horrible at this, as all I can think of is Annie Clark.

i just want your casual opinions on this. :hmm:

Ok, it's my fault that i totally forgot about Jack and Dan, players I have decently liked (except they're losing their magic these days, or is it just me?).
I was surprised that one of my friends who plays guitar didn't know Tony Iommi, thou.

I kind of hate that if you look at technical side, lots of them are in metalcore-like genres like people from Periphery or John Petrucci.

I totally forgot to mention Dimebag Darrell, other great player who wasn't all about technique.

Lastly, I think I'll say this for the second time, but I love Tom Morello. When I saw him on TV for the first time and made scratch noise, I was blown away.

I'm sure I'll get around to making a list with explanations sometime, but as a fan of heavier music, Tom Morello and Dimebag Darrell instantly come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Jonny Greenwood is usually the one who gets named from Radiohead, and his flamboyant style tends to be an eye catcher, but I've always found Ed o'Brien to be the real guitar hero of Radiohead. If only because Jonny plays something else half of the time while Ed is still rocking the guitar. And when Jonny is playing a flashy guitar part Ed is always coming up with some real ambient stuff that you never suspect to be guitar. And of course Ed usually has more pedals on stage then Thom and Jonny combined.

Jonny Buckland anyone...? Nah, just kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

probably i am not the fan of Radiohead enough, but i've seen the pedalboard of Ed, and that was humongous. In a way, that was actually more complicated than the Edge's because Ed does wet-dry-wet thing and has separate board for them and stuff.
I am just saying that Johnny is just one of those guys who has eye-catching thing as you guys say. He's got killswitch in his guitar, he has weird amps (Fender 85, right?) and things. Like Tom Morello, who has tricks that no one has ever seen (in 90s, of course).

Jonny Buckland could've been one...though he's not. Same deal as Dave Keuning.

probably i am not the fan of Radiohead enough, but i've seen the pedalboard of Ed, and that was humongous. In a way, that was actually more complicated than the Edge's because Ed does wet-dry-wet thing and has separate board for them and stuff.

He also doesn't use a humongous midi controller to control his rig but old school pedal tap dancing.

I am just saying that Johnny is just one of those guys who has eye-catching thing as you guys say. He's got killswitch in his guitar, he has weird amps (Fender 85, right?) and things. Like Tom Morello, who has tricks that no one has ever seen (in 90s, of course).

Ed does tricks too though, he's just not that flashy as Jonny is on stage. That tends to attract attention. But I've been in a Radiohead tribute band and sometimes I had to play Jonny parts, and sometimes Ed parts, and his were just that more difficult to decipher and pull off. Jonny's parts were on the order of 'what kind of weird things is he doing now on his guitar?'. Whereas with Ed it was more like 'what kind of weird things is he doing with his entire rig?'. Being able to replicate Ed's parts really made things difficult for us in what we had to haul along in gear and during soundchecks. It drove quite a number of sound engineers mad.

No evidence so far of Edge using or having used the Klon. Which is an awesome pedal though. Having built one myself I understand why people are willing to pay good money for it.

i aint paying 600 bucks for overdrive. jokes aside, there are so many Klon clones these days that I cant even....

No evidence so far of Edge using or having used the Klon. Which is an awesome pedal though. Having built one myself I understand why people are willing to pay good money for it.

Judging by the studio photos over time, Edge has LOADS of pedals that have never made the touring rigs.

He bought one of each of the DBA pedals and only two made the rig, last tour.

Many of the pics and videos during NLOTH sessions showed ZVEX Box of Rock and Fuzz Factory's on the floor at various times.

So does Edge have a Klon or any of it's Klones? Probably. Has he used them on records? No evidence thus far. But it's possible.

If you want a somewhat affordable Klon clone, I recommend the J. Rockett Audio Designs 'Archer'.

It's a great Klon Klone at $179.00.

KTR Klon prices around $300-$400 and original Klons go for $2000-$3000

ProGuitarShop.com - 'Archer' demo clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn89e_INbeY

...I wonder where his DBA pedals went. at least i didnt see in the pic and though it's not final product, I thought DBA could've been just a place holder.

...I wonder where his DBA pedals went. at least i didnt see in the pic and though it's not final product, I thought DBA could've been just a place holder.

Depending upon if they play NLOTH tunes (or others where he incorporated the DBA pedals [ie: DBA Harmonic Transformer was use for the solo on "UltraViolet" during the 360 tour)... So if there are not NLOTH tunes which incorporated the DBA pedals .... The DBA items might not be in the rack.

I remember he was using one of DBA pedal for until the end of the world and other songs with very high-gain sounds. well, if he's got other high-gain sounds (possibly from Axe?),t hen yeah, no need for fancy, boutique pedals, i guess

I really wanna see the Edge use high-gain amp like any sort of Mesa amps or even Soldano. There, I said it.

I feel like Edge can use Mesa Mark 5 quite well. nice options, channel switching and stuff. Though clean sound on Mesa is not as pristine as Vox or even Fender.

I've always been of the opinion that you don't use a Mesa or a Marshall for clean sound. That is not to say you can't do it, just that a Fender or a Vox will do it better.

I've always been of the opinion that you don't use a Mesa or a Marshall for clean sound. That is not to say you can't do it, just that a Fender or a Vox will do it better.

Well, most of "heavy" bands would use clean channel from Mesa or Marshall but that's because they just love the distortion sound and don't want to carry around another amp. Prob. Edge own do that because he's got too much clean sound going on so using those "heavy" amps wont make sense.

Well, most of "heavy" bands would use clean channel from Mesa or Marshall but that's because they just love the distortion sound and don't want to carry around another amp. Prob. Edge own do that because he's got too much clean sound going on so using those "heavy" amps wont make sense.

Considering that most metal bands have to travel minimally hauling another amp along is probably not a bonus. Besides, most metal bands (at least the ones I know) don't use that much clean anyway, they're more into producing a brutal sound. To them a clean guitar sound is what you briefly use for an intro or a bridge section, not a whole song.

As for Edge, what he considers hi-gain, most metal bands probably consider just a mild crunch. :wink:

Still, the ideal amp (at least for me) would have a Fender clean preamp section for clean sounds and a Marshall hi-gain preamp for when I have to make the foundations shake.

Back
Top Bottom