Guitar cables ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agocont

The Fly
Hi all,

Somebody knows which guitar cable brand and model in particular the Edge uses on his guitars and effects ?

And you guys ? which guitar cables do you use ?

I think Edge uses Mogami cables. or rather, Bob Bradshaw prefers these cables and he probably used those on Edge's rigs.

George L for patch cables, and Fender tweed cables. I used to have a whole bunch of others but the singer of my previous band lost them in a Turkish airport. Lesson learned, always try to find a spot for your own cables in your own luggage/guitar case. Then at least you only have yourself to blame. I also like to make my own guitar cables, using Neutrik plugs.

I use one that came with accessory set that I bought from the music store. However that thing only had one cable so I bought audio technica cable. I like them.

There is a lot of snake oil being told about guitar cables, similar to the hifi business. Length matters, capacitance per feet or meter matters. But a well placed buffer in your signal chain matters even more. Personally I place high emphasis on reliability. Good soldering for the plugs matters as 9 out of 10 times this is where the cable will go bust. Only then comes an internal break in the cable. The former can be fixed, the latter is a lot harder.

I was thinking to try the new mogami overdrive edition cables, guitar - fractal fx8 - vox. Somebody has experience with this kind of cable or in general with mogami brand ?

I have no experience with Mogami. I've never even heard of them. A quick Google search netted me this from their website:

Platinum Performance for the Stage
Mogami has added a ruggedized Platinum-level cable series to meet the unique demands of electric guitarists. The new Overdrive Series includes guitar and speaker cables, designed to work separately or in combination with synergistic results.

Mogami Platinum guitar cable is recognized as being among the finest instrument cables on the planet, exhibiting extraordinarily neutral, extended, and detailed sound from any instrument. However it was designed for careful stage and studio use where cables can be handled with professional care.

Mogami Overdrive Guitar Cable, while being more rugged, reveals even more presence, dynamics and upper frequency definition. For tone purists who make the most of the stage, this is your cable.

Overdrive Cables contain no electronics, just pure copper. Following the guiding principal of Mogami cable, these cables are designed to deliver the original sound of the instrument with no coloration.

Complementing the Overdrive Guitar Cables are speaker cables designed for sonic synergy, yielding even more midrange energy and punch. Overdrive Speaker Cables and Overdrive Guitar Cables work well independently of one another, but the combination ensures maximum, uninhibited performance from both.

That does sound like pure snake oil marketing speak. They really may have the best cable in the world, but whoever wrote that was trying to impress people with too much money and not the sense to spend it wisely.

Yeah Muad'zin i have read some characteristics of this kind of cable on line, it should be interesting to try it,
of course, as with all professional things the price is high, but if this only brings benefits that well-being :)

Back
Top Bottom