Good Edge soundsite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muad'zin

Refugee
Can anyone recommend a good site where I can find various settings to recreate Edge's guitar sound? Preferably an easy to use site instead of some forum where I have to do various forms of thread necromancy to dig up what I need.

Thanx, its a start!

Although its hard to imagine that with gazillions of U2 fans and untold quadrillions of Edge wannabees nobody's made a site with a easy to use repository of everyone's findings.

when you say settings what are you looking for?

alot comes into the matter ie guitar/ amp/effects

are you looking for effect chains/delay times
its easy enough listing stuff but youll always get
people saying thats wrong this is right
so really its a no win situation sumtimes..

ill soon have clips on my edge/u2 gear page
http://www.geocities.com/bbbruce5

ill prob list the chains and people will have to
use there own gear to get there own Edge copy sound

at the end of the day its all fun
check checking the page for updates
on the clips

cheers BB Mac

I agree with BB. I had thought of putting a page together, but the amount of effects out there you can use and modify would be huge. Maybe if I can work out some way to do it...

What I'm looking for is a site that says stuff like: For a song like New Year's Day you need a Stratocaster guitar with an effects chain that has predelay, compressor, overdrive, slight chorus, EQ and delay set to xxx ms. General settings may vary from effect type but for me (creator of said site) I use something like this (in which case a series of settings follows). I know stuff like that is not perfect, but we can't all afford 2 skyscrapers full of effects gear.

Back in the stoneage, between Popmart and Elevation, I stumpled across the U2 soundsite by this German guy calling himself the Phaser. He had stuff like that. By the time I was interested enough to actually use it, years later, he changed his site to a mere listing of U2's gear and all the interesting effects listings per song were gone. And now the site is as good as dead.

am22884 said:
Yes, sad that the u2 soundsite went down. I wonder if anyone archived the information??
I printed out a large part of the site, or at least the sections on effects - not about the guitars I'm afraid - if I remember correctly.

I'm having trouble registering at the u2sound-forum.com -site, is it down somehow?

I would definitely be interested in seeing the info on effects if you decide to share it. I had problems signing up at u2sound-forum.com. I had to use a different email address, so you might want to try that.

am22884 said:
I would definitely be interested in seeing the info on effects if you decide to share it. I had problems signing up at u2sound-forum.com. I had to use a different email address, so you might want to try that.
Ok, thanks am22884, I'll try to register at home with a different e-mail - if it would work.

I'll try to write the info from the old u2sound.com site on my computer a.s.a.p. I don't think I have the files saved on my hard disk, so I'll have to write everything. But that's no prob in itself, it can take a while though. But I promise that I'll do it, and I'll post it here immediately!

Muad'zin said:
That info would be extremely helpfull, starkj!
Hey,
I've been in contact with Peter Rizzo, who is one of the guys at the U2_rec group (on Yahoo! Groups). A couple of years ago, he compiled a series called "Deconstructing the Edge", which included almost everything that can be found on the web regarding Edge's equipment. He did not want the series to be further distributed or published on any third party website, and I respect this completely. He is the author and has the copyright, and therefore the issue can't be discussed any further. I also want to point out that he was very friendly.

He urged me (and everybody else who's interested in Edge's gear) to join the u2sound-forum.com -forum. I've tried to join the forum, but have only received an error message when I've carefully filled out the form and pressed the register button. But I'll keep trying.

If anyone here is interested in other info I've collected and put together myself, then I still offer to publish this on a simple web page for you to download - if it helps.

The yahoo U2_rec group is top notch. Been a member there for a while. Missed out on the "Deconstructing The Edge" series. I might be wrong, but is seems odd to collect all that info and limit it's availability. A bit pointless in my opinion

starkj said:

Hey,
I've been in contact with Peter Rizzo, who is one of the guys at the U2_rec group (on Yahoo! Groups). A couple of years ago, he compiled a series called "Deconstructing the Edge", which included almost everything that can be found on the web regarding Edge's equipment. He did not want the series to be further distributed or published on any third party website, and I respect this completely. He is the author and has the copyright, and therefore the issue can't be discussed any further. I also want to point out that he was very friendly.

So where can we find this elusive Deconstructing the Edge?

He urged me (and everybody else who's interested in Edge's gear) to join the u2sound-forum.com -forum. I've tried to join the forum, but have only received an error message when I've carefully filled out the form and pressed the register button. But I'll keep trying.

When I applied using my hotmail address I also got an error message. I had more success using the email address I got from my provider.

If anyone here is interested in other info I've collected and put together myself, then I still offer to publish this on a simple web page for you to download - if it helps.

We are always interested. :drool:
If you want simple easy to find information then websites > fora. Websites allow you to find stuff with a simple click of the menu. In a forum you have to search all sorts of old threads and sift through inane babble to find the occasional gem. Websites are for info, a forum is for communities. If no website exists then we should create one. There is plenty of expertise here. If we all contribute your simple site could become the new U2 sound site.

Guys, I have knocked up a basic site here>

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/amib2005/Index.html

It's split into 4 sections; Edge's guitars, effect's and amp's. The fourth section is users gear where hopefully everyone will contribute there ideas and settings for creating Edge's sound.

I've started with some basic stuff thats probably mostly wrong so anyone who has info/ ideas to share please drop me an email at am22884@yahoo.co.uk

starkj, if you could manage to upload that info it would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom