Gone Solo Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbelcik

Refugee
Does anyone know what effect Edge is using during the ending solo to Gone. I know it's some sort of filter but I can't figure out what kind. I've been trying to replicate it on my M13 but no luck. Anyone (E_O) want to help me out?

Also I should specify that this is the version from Boston on the Elevation DVD.

I know we were able to dial this in on a M13 and later a HD500 when I worked as a tech for a U2 tribute.

The outro is the 747 sound. Set the WH-1 for 2-octaves up. Keep in mind you will be missing some of the harmonic richness, if you aren't using a 12-string.

The basics of that sound are the same as the 747 sound.

Key ingredients, Whammy, distortion and Fuzz Face and Delay with a lot of feedback (repeats). Also use a wah to filter the shrillness out of the tone. (click it on and barely press the heal back to cut some of the shrill high of the Whammy)

As for the distortion, I will have to see if I can find my notes on how we did that with the tribute I tech'd for. the OD to push the Fuzz Face + Fuzz Face, a wah to back off a bit of the 'shrillness' of the 747 tone. I know that we got a lot of good Edge distortions using the Tube Drive and Rat sims. Try one or the other with the fuzz face.

I don't recall using a compressor (Dynacomp sim) for this tone. But again, I will have to see if I can find my notes to find what the ingredients were that we used.

As, as mentioned... the guitar you use will make a difference too. A Rickenbacker - even a 6-string will get you close. Chas used my 6-string Rick when I worked with him, for this song.

Single coils from a Tele or Strat will be a bit too thin/shrill. Humbuckers from an Explorer / LP could be way too much. But you might be able to compensate some by experimenting with your amp and guitar tone controls.

All of that said....

If you mean just the trill / fast bit near the end, try the tube driver and bridge pickup. Again, the guitar will matter. And you will be missing some of the harmonic richness if you are not using a 12-string.

Back
Top Bottom