Gold-top Les Paul for Studio version of BD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was a clip, from Europe... where they swapped out the Explorer for a Les Paul in the middle of Beautiful Day. I'm guessing a string broke? There was a noticeable change in tone.

Les Paul would be a bit darker. Explorer is a bit brigher. SG and Explorers seem to have similar (not exact) tone to me. But that can vary from gutiar to guitar, I suppose.

In the 2001 Guitar Player magazine feature, Edge talked about using the Explorer for Beautiful Day, and how the band (particularly Adam) were happy to see and hear it used again.

The clip with the Goldtop may be just that: A video clip. I am not sure that he used a LP of any sort on "Beautiful Day".

We don't know what guitars he used in the studio, and sadly won't find out unless we ask him or Dallas. :lol:

We know 'some' of them. :D

Thanks Breathe, I took that shot in Montreal :)

I hadn't heard about that guitar change myself yet either. :hmm: Am going to check youtube for that! Do you know which leg it was Edge_O?

tHE FIRst concert from Helsinki. After the Pitch part edge changed the guitar. There was some reason, i think was relationed with the first String E. HE changed to the Cream Les Paul.

Interesting part to me was that he switched to the LP when he has 13+ Explorers!

Guessing there must be at least 1 or 2 spares on the tour? But you can see that the LP sounds darker, different and not as chiming as the Explorer. (At least to my ears)

Not saying the LP is bad. Just different.

Perhaps none of the other explorers were 'ready' to be played right that instant? Since Dallas usually tunes every guitar the song before they're used, perhaps he didn't have one ready. Let's see, setlist was BD > NYD > Boots. Odd, neither of those songs use the cream Les Paul.. Earliest song in the setlist for that is MLK! :scratch:

He has a lot of options in guitars refering. I he has the cream les paul in standard, perfect. Its more complicated playinga standard song with a Eb tuning

Back
Top Bottom