Gibson Tarbacks Replica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agocont

The Fly
Hi all,

I have a new gibson explorer, and i would like to replace the original ceramic 490 and 500T pups with the "Tarbacks "

Somebody of you that read this post, can advise me a lutist that build an exact replica of these Bill Lawrence pups like in the Edge's Explorer?

Agostino

I read somewhere that on the Edge's 76' explorer there are the Bill Lawrence super humbuckers aka
" Tarbacks " pups

A bit off topic, but what's it like to play? Physically I mean. Is it comfortable for your playing arm's elbow/wrist? I've always thought explorers looked unplayable in a way, yet loved them.
Stupidly I've been too intimidated by them to ever pick one up in a shop...

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

I used to have one, I had no problems with my playing arm or elbow wrist. Hell, the guitars I'm building are probably terribly in that regard as I'm choosing style over comfort in that area. The human body is incredibly flexible and adaptable. Unless you suffer from existing conditions in your right arm or shoulder you can get used to almost anything.

The I trees ting thing about the Explorer is how it sits on your body (standing w/a strap). It's easy to see how/why Edge wrote things up around the 10th to 12th frets, as that is sort of where ones hand naturally fall on the Explorer.

As for pickups. The '76 had, as mentioned Bill Lawrence Super Humbuckers (Tarbacks).

They are similar to T-Tops and lower output PAF style pickups.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

thing about the Explorer is how it sits on your body (standing w/a strap). It's easy to see how/why Edge wrote things up around the 10th to 12th frets, as that is sort of where ones hand naturally fall on the Explorer.Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Fascinating. Thank you!

Can anyone expalin the outputs level of each pickups comparing the different gibsons used by the edge this last tour?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hi guys,

Instead, i find the explorer beautiful and i don't notice all this uncomfortable thing you described, maybe because i have it from about 3 weeks, maybe till now i played it only for few hours i don't know. I can only say at the moment i am very happy with my new baby :)

About the stock ceramic pups they are on this explorer, i only don't like so mutch, because the sound is so dark and i was finding something with a more open sound and i found through the descriptions that the original 76' explorer have the bill lawrence tarbacks on board, that are yes ceramics but with a sound very similiar to the t-tops in that 70's era but with more basses, as edge_orchestra mentioned in the last reply too.

Searching online i found a person called mick from manlius pick up, that build authentic t-tops humbucker and i asked him if he could built a copy of these famous tarbacks, therefore i ordered to him the build and i want try to replace the stock pups to see if the sound will change.

Back
Top Bottom