Gibson Signature Explorer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Pac_Mule

Refugee
I sent an email to Gibson, and told them what a cool idea it would be to make an Edge Signature Explorer, since they have singnature models for most of their guitars, but lack any for the explorer, and since Edge is probably the biggest explorer player, I suggested they do that. Then I got an email back that said they liked my explorer idea :hyper:

I seriously doubt that it will happen anytime soon.
I heard he took off the Vox logo from his amps back in the day to avoid being called a Vox artist or something.

And still today they don't mention The Edge anywhere on their "Artists" section of the official Vox Amplification website.
It is really strange conisdering the fact that he is certainly one of the biggest artists around today that gets his sound with the help of his Vox amps.

Why would he want Gibson to make a series of signature Explorers for him in that case?
Isn't Metallica's James Hetfield quite known for his use of the Explorer as well?
As much as I would love a signature model of the awesome Explorer I still doubt it will happen.

I think the tough part of this would be getting The Edge in on it, since he explicitly states he doesn't have a signature guitar. He appreciates sound as a whole more than a guitar, and I think said something like, "I'm not nearly nostalgic enough to stick to one guitar."

Then again, he was involved in the release of the music rising Epiphone Les Paul. If he's into charity he could make it so that the proceeds go to whatever lost cause he fancies.

But anyway, why would Gibson need Edge's approval to rerelease that guitar? As far as I know of its a stock model from a discontinued series. All they need to do is just reissue them to original specs. If they can't call it The Edge Signature Explorer, just call it the I Will Follow or something. I'll still buy it.

Gibson would have to have The Edge's permission to use his name or 'likeness'. So there might be legal issues with calling it anything U2 related.

Edge's Explorer is a 1976 Ltd Editions reissue Explorer. It was a reissue of the original 1958 Explorers. Since then, Gibson has made a 1976 reissue, which is funny as that is essentially a reissue of a reissue. It is like having a Jimmy Page Les Paul. Yes, Jimmy Page famously used a Les Paul for much of Led Zeppelin's career but the guitar is ALREADY a signature model - a LES PAUL signature model.

Biggest issue with a The Edge signature model guitar... it would be expensive, like Bono's Irish Falcon. Most could not afford it. If they were to make it on the cheap or have Epiphone make it, it would not be as good of quality. And in that, it would not have all the alterations and touches that Dallas adds by rewinding pickups and such. SO it would be a The Edge model in name only.

If you want that, buy a Epiphone Music Rising. I am not saying it will be as good as The Edge's Epi Music Rising, unless Dallas Schoo rewinds the pickups, sets it up and works his magic, as he does on The Edge's guitars, it won't be as great sounding/playing as The Edge's. But at least then, it's a decent guitar, although not as up to specs as The Edges'. And in that, the money goes to Music Rising, so everyone wins.

yes but Gibson has already put out many Signature models, Like Slash's LP, Jimmy Pages LP, Zakk Wyldes LP (s), etc.

Back
Top Bottom