Gibson SG's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Am I the only one who just doesn't seem to like this guitar? Even though Edge uses it for one song I find myself wondering what kind of song it would be used for....shredding? I perfer a good strat or tele or les paul to the SG...just my opinion

personally, iv always prefered fenders over gibson.
elevation is pretty much a 'rock' song so i can see why dallas wanted him to try playing it with an sg.
humbucker pickups tend to be used more for the rockier tunes due to their natural crunch

I like the SG. I'm going to get me one, one day. It has better access to high notes then the Les Paul, cause some of us like to do more with a guitar then just play chords.

Besides, it has been the guitar of choice of Tony Iommi, guitarist of Black Sabbath and Godfather of heavy metal.

I like the SG and between fender and gibson i like them both very much but i love the gibson les paul custom, espacially in white (like edge's) so i would have to go for gibson

Nice SG. I've got the same one like the Edge plays. Its a custom shop historic '62 reissue with the maestro tailpiece. I'd be willing to sell it for a good offer. In the meantime it rocks though!

GIbson SG

What is is that you do not like about the SG?

The only time you can hear the true tone of the SG through the amp is the middle bit of Elevation.

Perhaps the effects combination you don't like?

I'd love to have a 1966 Gibson SG as nice and fantastic in tone as The Edge's.

I'm a bit baffled when people like Les Pauls but don't like SGs, since for the most part they're the same guitar with different bodies. Same pickups, same neck, etc. I can see the smaller SG body giving it a shorter sustain than an LP, but that's about it.

I don't like the look of the SG, and it reminds me of AC/DC. My first "real" guitar was a Les Paul, and it's always been my favorite. I like the thick tone and the heaviness of the guitar. I got a Strat a couple of years later and that's a slick guitar - great to play, nice weight, clean look, precise tone - but I've still love the always slightly off Les Paul sound. I don't think the SG has the same sound - to me it sounds "cheaper" if that makes any sense.

I'm a bit baffled when people like Les Pauls but don't like SGs, since for the most part they're the same guitar with different bodies. Same pickups, same neck, etc. I can see the smaller SG body giving it a shorter sustain than an LP, but that's about it.

TECHNICALLY, an 'SG' IS a Les Paul. Gibson changed the Les Paul design in 1961, much to Les Paul's chagrin.

Les didn't like the sharp edge's and the double cut-away. It was soon after that the contract with Gibson was up, and due to his impending divorce and not wanting to lose money in the deal... the Les Paul name was briefly retired and the 'latest' version (the 1961 LP) was rechristend "SG" (Solid-body Guitar).

[more here: Gibson SG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]

It may make some think AC/DC but for me there is more to an SG than AC/DC. Robbie Krieger played one for most of The Doors existence. Eric Clapton used one during Cream. Duane Allman was one to play an SG from time to time. Lest we forget Pete Townshend.

I get it, some don't like the SG. But seems Edge does find some use for one. I'd like to see him use it and the Pelham Blue SG (backup to the Heritage Cherry) a bit more.

I'm not too keen on the SG look either. I like the Les Paul.
Also don't like the Fender look, because everyone has them.

Rickenbackers, LPs, Explorers, etc are my thing :love:

LPs are my favorite guitar, but I also think SGs look really cool. I pretty much think all of the classic guitars are attractive to look at and comfortable to play, except for maybe the Explorer. Never really been a fan of those. I love Flying Vs though.

Really? Because to me, an SG can cover a lot of tones, including many that a LP or Explorer can achieve.

But then, that is why I have more than one guitar; to get varius tones.

All I could get on any of the three tube amps (Fender, Peavey, and Rivera) I used it on was dark, thick tone. Even set to as clean as the amp could get. Nothing light and airy. Different story with the Tele. I can get both dark and airy.

Back
Top Bottom