G-string issues! (not the underwear)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mucca

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
For some odd reason the G-string on my guitar keeps snapping on me. I've had to change it so many times!! Grrrrr....it's getting me really annoyed!:mad:

I'm not tuning it any higher than a G and it's not like my string is old or anything.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with my guitar???

is it breaking at the bridge? if it is, try lubing it down (hehe) with WD-40 or something. . . i used to break strings alot, but after i lubed up my bridge they didn't break as awesome

oh yeah, and get heavy strings. they don't break as easily and have better tone, but people say they're harder to play (i don't believe 'em)

It's actually breaking where the nut is which is kind of weird, none of my other strings break like that....

The normaly way of stringing it??? I think I'm doing it properly.
I put the string into the bridge or whatever it's called first and then put the top of the string into the nut, tie it around a couple times and then start tightening.

Sorry I'm a newbie guitarist.:(

Sorry to butt in, but what brand are you using? Is this an acoustic or electric guitar? I've had difficulties with some brands it the past and finally settled with Elixir. They're expensive but my acoustics are higher end and the strings stary bright for a long time.

I have a yamaha acoustic. I had a person check out the problem but all he did was stick a rubber covering on to the string where it wrapped into the nut.

I think U2ute meant the brand of strings. Although I don't have this problem with my guitars it is fairly common. Try experimenting with different brands of strings. I also use elixers, even though they are more expensive they last longer so you don't change them as much.

Another common trick is to try wiping down your G string with a rag with lemon pledge on it where it connects to the nut. I'd get rid of the rubber covering, it might just be creating more friction instead of relieving it.

you might be picking it to hard, or where the string goes into the guitar it might be a bit rough and might be cutting the string up. You could take it 2 ur local guitar store and they could sort that out for you fairly easily, as I had a similiar problem with my high E string once upon a time

I won't be the picking because it's breaking when I tune it (and I'm not tuning it higher than it should be).

Strangely when I took it to a guitar store the guy had no clue why, he adjusted something inside the guitar though, but I have no clue what he did.:shrug:

bur on nut

The standard cause of breaking like this at the nut or bridge is that there is a bur in the grove where its breaking and the nut (or bridge saddle) needs to be filed down and made smooth.

also your action could be totally out of wack (but this is doubtful)

But really now, it's the first non-wound string that you hit on a downstroke, so it absorbs most of the energy before you hit the subsequent downstrings. It's just something you live with.

It happens. Like others said, it's likely because the bridge is a bit sharp against the string. Next time you change it (or have it off) take a bit of light gauge sandpaper and carefully smooth it. Not too much, you'll mess the intonation. If that doesn't work, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom