From The Sky Down: Gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
One thing that I noticed in "From The Sky Down" is The Edge playing what appears to be an Ibanez Roadstar II bass on "40" from the December 1989 Dublin show footage.

I think that it belongs to Adam. I do remember seeing a picture of Edge... from the Zooropa sessions... with this bass.

While I don't remember seeing Adam use it on stage there was a picture in Guitar World... around the time of the Pop album... of Adam with it.

You can see this bass in the studio in the following video - at 0:17 seconds (on a stand), 1:56 (Adam playing it in control room) and at 2:23 (Adam playing it in control room)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2009/feb/15/u2-no-line-horizon

A couple of other Adam gear notes...

A couple of other Adam gear notes...

...In "From The Sky Down":

Adam playing his white Gibson Triumph Les Paul Recording bass (later used for "One" on some 360 tour dates)

Adam playing his Gibson RD Artist bass (later used for "Magnificent", until he rec'd the candy apple red Reverso)

Danny Lanois playing his Telecaster on "One".

Another interesting bit is Danny Lanois playing his Telecaster on "One".

Looks like it could be Danny's 1951 Telecaster, that he mentioned in the Jan 2001 Guitar Player article.

There is the one part in the movie where they talk about bring the bit he was playing a bit down in the mix.

For me that clips shows a few things.
  1. Danny plays guitar on a lot of the songs. Which makes sense as he's mentioned that he often does so that he and Edge can both track parts together.
  2. It brings home the fact that there are multiple guitar parts per song and hence multiple guitars used.
  3. And the other factor that most have not considered... Some of the guitars used on the albums is Danny playing some of Edge's guitars. He's mentioned playing Edge's Goldtop before. (Jan 2001 Guitar Player). But he's also mentioned using his own guitars. This means that his Firebird, his Goldtop with P-90's, his Telecaster and his Gibson and Guild acoustics could be on the songs.

Why was edge using a different amp. I see in the clips that edge is using a different AC30.

I will have to watch again and take some notes. As it was during time off between shows... and it looks like the small/promo rack of gear was being used... it's possible it was spare amps being used for the footage from Canada.

I'm looking forward to having the DVD so I can see it on my TV, instead of a rough copy on my computer.

For me that clips shows a few things.
  1. Danny plays guitar on a lot of the songs. Which makes sense as he's mentioned that he often does so that he and Edge can both track parts together.
  2. It brings home the fact that there are multiple guitar parts per song and hence multiple guitars used.

While I agree with both statements, the clip where he's playin' the Tele is more a free jamming session with Brian Eno to come up with some ideas and melodies. So whether there are different guitars used on "One" etc remains an open question.

Why was edge using a different amp. I see in the clips that edge is using a different AC30.

As E_O says, he has his smaller Promo rack with him (where you can also see the DM4, Korg and the DL4!). The part where it's just him playin in "One" hes using his Fender Harvard or Tweed. What is funny though is that when they're all jammin together the AC30 is behind Bono and his pedals, while Edge has Bono's amp + the Fender, you're right about that.

What I like in the "One" jam is that you can hear 100% that he's using other gear than one road, there are probably fewer effects in the chain. For instance the delay sound is different than the TC he uses on tour I guess, you completely hear the almost digital slapback (so maybe it's the DL4, just a guess). He also has a couple pedals in front of him which are hard to see in the current quality, maybe on DVD we'll have a better look.

Also, you see Bono's DM4 and DL4 (non-rack versions) on the floor behind him.

The Les Paul that Edge uses on One and Horses in FTSD isn't one of his live guitars, is it? On this one I noticed that the pickups have gold covers, whereas the cream LP that he uses on stage the pups are open.

James

Back
Top Bottom