Freestylin' Friday: Something Borrowed, Something Blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Something Borrowed, Something Blue.

While The Edge does have plenty of guitars to chose from... this doesn't preclude him from borrowing guitars from Bono or others.

Edge with Bono's 1958 Gretsch Chet Atkins, in the "Night And Day" video. (I dont' think it was used on the recording).
YouTube - ‪U2-NIGHT & DAY‬‏

Edge with Bono's late 1950's Gretsch Country Club in the "Magnificent" video.
YouTube - ‪U2 - Magnificent‬‏

He can be seen with Bono's blue sparkle Gibson ES-175 in the video for "The Ground Beneath Her Feet".

YouTube - ‪The Ground Beneath Her Feet - U2‬‏

The Blackberry Loves U2 commercial shows Edge with a Gretsch Duo Jet.

YouTube - ‪BlackBerry U2 Commercial (BlackBerry Loves U2)‬‏

Not sure if this is Edge's, Bono's rented for the video shoot... If it IS The Edge's... Play it more! Great guitar!

Here's a rarer moment. Edge with a late 1950's single cutaway Gretsch Silver Jet.

The guitar wasn't his, he borrowed it from Ash's guitarist, Tim Wheeler. This was the Y.E.S. concert in Belfast, May 1998, that lead up to the peace accords in Ireland.

The tone is a bit 'wonky' but again, it's not his guitar nor rig.

YouTube - ‪U2 ONE (with Ash) 1998 May 18, Belfast, Waterford Hall. Ireland‬‏

Edge with Daniel Lanois' Gibson Firebird. "Falling At Your Feet"
YouTube - ‪U2 & Daniel Lanois -Falling At Your Feet- Live on RTE 31-10-‬‏

And there is this one:

TheEdge6503a.jpg

TheEdge6503.jpg

That one was used on June 5th, 2003 when The Edge played 3 songs during Daniel Lanois' show at the Henry Ford Theater in Los Angeles.

It could have been rented, borrowed from Danny, or just one that Edge keeps at home. Uncertain. What was certain was that guitar through an Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man delay into a vintage Vox AC30... and he sounded like The Edge. So whether it's a giganto rack of gear or not, he still has that Edge-thing happening.

What did he play with Danny? "Still Water" (from Dan's first solo album: Acadie), "Falling At Your Feet" (from Dan's album, "Shine") and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

Love the duojet. He needs to play solid gretsch's on state!

The black Gretsch DuoJet may have been a good guitar for "Magnificent".

There is some evidence that shows a Telecaster may have been used during the recording of "Magnificent". Was a Tele THE "Magnificent" guitar? Most songs, as I've often stated, have more than one guitar. But it seems if the Tele was used, the choice of the Gretsch may have had more to do with the pickups for the slide solo. The Filtertrons would give a better sustain on slide than the Telecaster might.

The the DuoJet could have been a good marriage of the solid body Tele and the filtertron pickups for the lide solo.

Not second guessing Edge. He's far better at beng The Edge than I. Just stating that a DuoJet could have been a good guitar to use for the tune.

All that seems to no avail at this point, as "Magnificent" hasn't been played since Anaheim 1 (June 17th)

The Edge is the only person who can really be "The Edge", but he isn't infaliable and does make mistakes.

Someone should tell Dallas to make him play Duojet.

Back
Top Bottom