For U2 sound: POD XT Live vs. BOSS Gt-8?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanZigs

The Fly
Hi. I'm looking into upgrading from my Boss ME-33 effects pedal (which has served me well for a few years) to one of the newer top-of-the-line models. I have read numerous excellent comparisons between the POD XT Live and the Boss Gt-8 and I still don't know which to get. The problem is that most people writing those comparisons are interested in playing metal and I'm most interested in playing U2 songs. I'm also into 90-2000's alternative rock (Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Foo Fighters etc.)

Has anyone here played around with both to try to get a nice U2 sounding tone? Which one is better for this? If possible, could you please post a sample of the tone you were able to get with the box you use?

Thanks,
DZ.

2 POD XT Live presets

I decided to go and buy the POD XT Live. I have been tweaking around and have managed to reproduce a few good Edge effects. It really takes a lot of work to get the perfect sound and though there are some decent presets on the Customtones.com site, I have not been blown away by any of those yet.

For those interested, I have posted patches for Streets and With or Without You on the site. For both songs I used the "Study of Edge's Delay" webpage to get the exact 100% correct delay settings.

The patchs that I uploaded are "U2 Streets" and "With or Without". They are designed to be used with headphones and the "Studio-direct" Output mode

I am still working to get a good tone for One and Until the End of the World. If anyone has something, it would be much appreciated.

I'll put a backup of my POD memory on YSI. For the UTEOTW patch, I put in a cool effect where the expression pedal controls the "FX-sweeper" MOD mix. Keep it at 0% for the verses and then move it to about 60% for the chorus to imitate the effect on Achtung Baby.

Here's the link to the bundle (remove the spaces). Please let me know what you think and if you have any improvements please share with everyone.

h t t p://s62.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=0ABELHPNWCYNW0E3ENET65UQ64

Dan,

Is the XT live quick at shifting patches? Ie. could you move up and down preset banks without having a 1/2 second pause between sounds?

What are the external routing options like? for example could you use the Distortion of the XT, come out, go into a SDD3000, then back into XT for an Amp model / other effect?

Can you also customise the effects loops to exactly how you want them with the XT?

Im looking at getting either the XT Live or the XT Pro......just cant decide.

The XT Live switches patches perfectly. No delay at all.

There is no external routing. The only thing that comes close is the ability to use MIDI to control the effects changes

You have a lot of freedom in customizing the effects loops, but not complete freedom. For example, you can put the MOD, DELAY, VOLUME pedal and REVERB before or after the AMP; however, you cannot but the STOMP after the amp. You also cannot put the MOD delay, etc before the STOMP. You are also limited to one AMP effect (BOSS GT-8 the Vetta 2 and some PC programs let you use split channels)

I have recently bought the two add ons for the XTL and I am very impressed with both of them.

Having had 2 other multieffects processors, I have to say that this pedal is a dream come true.

hmm.....

Thats a bit of a bugger. I was hoping to use my SDD3000 for delay, then go back into the Pod for other effect / amp models etc.

Does anyone know if the Pod XT Pro can do this? Surely Edge uses a similar routing for his sdd3000 / tc2290's ?

thats what im thinking.....

What do you think of the XT pro?

Do you have to use the Line floor board? there are fairly good cheaper alternatives out there......what do you guys use?

Its a shame the XT Live doesnt have an effects / return loop

To be honest, I haven't quit gotten around to experiment with my XT Pro. I still lack a cabinet speaker. I just had all the routing and cables done, at €360. I haven't got the Line floorboard, I got me the Ground Control Pro from Voodoo Labs so I could control more then one rack unit.

It does seem weird though that XT live has no effects send/return loop. Maybe they figured that anyone using it wasn't planning on using other effects. And that anyone who does goes for the XT pro instead?

ill have to check out your floor controller - i need something that can control my A3, SDD3000 and XT Pro (if i get one).

Is there a funky way I can control various stomp boxes too? other than turning them on manually as such?

Voodoo Labs also has a device called the GCX. Its a 19" rack companion to the ground control pro that allows you to control up to 8 different loops which is perfect for connecting stomp boxes. You want a stompbox, just activate its loop. The ground control pro can control up to 4 GCX switchers. I have one already and when I get some more money I'm going to get a 2nd one just for stomp boxes. The GCX also serves as a buffer preventing loss of signal.

Anyway, this is their site, http://www.voodoolab.com/products.htm

nice one, cheers for the info.

I have a feeling my salary is going to get hammered this month on guitar stuff! oh well!!

Only a few more bits untill im happy with my rig......then its onto getting a vintage les paul! haha...i wish.

How do you find the XT Pro with switching patches? instant? or is there a like 1 sec pause like you get with an A3 for example.

Ideally I want to play the most of my songs through the POD and be able to switch patches quickly during the verse / chorus etc.

Same goes for the switching between units with the voodoo? is it nice and quick? Had any probs with yours?

Probably the best thing to do is go to a good music store and ask to play around with the effects processor that you are interested in. If they're a good place, they will let you fiddle with it for at least a half hour no questions asked.

I had a POD XT Live once and I hated it because of its inconsistency in volume and general lacking tone. If you really want a good edge tone, I would reccomend getting separate pedals. Get a good tube screamer, vox AC30 reissue amp, and nice Delay unit like the lin6 delay modeler and you'll be well on your way. You can get some good sounding stuff from the XT Live though. But in this case i would prefer spending some extra bucks for the "real thing" like what edge uses.

I use a fender deville amp with those prior mentioned pedals and I've liked the tone I've achieved. Saving up for that VoxAC30, though!
you can check out some of my "edge influenced" tracks at my bands site-

triplew.cityofashburn.com
click on the "launch media player" and listen to the song "once again." The solo is heavily influenced by edge.

Why anyone would actually waste their money on individual pedals these days is completely beyond me. It is far more expensive, much more bulky and you cannot program presets. Furthermore, you must spend your time slouched over fiddling with nobs instead of tweaking on your computer. It's a completely outdated technology!!!

The difference in sound is insignificant. I am able to get tones that essentially the exact same as the Edge from my XT Live. The key is to not run it through a guitar amp and to use the Studio Direct settings.

Go take a look over at guitargeek.com and take a look at all the bands that are using XTLive's or any other effects processors for that matter. Guess how many you'll find? None. The reason? You can't cram in hundreds of QUALITY effects and presets into one digitally programmed box. Why do you think Edge uses all vintage seaparate effects? Because he likes pure tone, not imitated tone. To say that separate effects are outdated technology is completely ignorant. Have you even used quality separte effects pedals?

Post your comments on "outdated technology" on a true guitar bulletin and you will be a laughing stock. Of course, some people are more concerned with versatility than tone. If thats you, than stick with your effects processors. But you'll find that real "tone" players go for separate pedals.

Okay. Despite your ad hominem attacks, you make some good points.

Since I am a scientist, I will ask you to define what you mean by "pure tone" "real tone" and "lacking tone".

I have listened to some of the songs on your site and they sound very good, but I honestly do not really hear a difference between what I can get out box and what you are playing. Maybe too many years playing music too loud have ruined my ears or maybe the POD XT is just a great product!

Edge uses individual pedals, yes, but he also uses multieffects processors (eg. the Korg A3)

Why do the bands on Guitargeek all use individual pedals? Firstly not ALL bands do. Secondly, have you noticed that the most recent review is from 2004? Isn't that around the time when most of the new modeling technology actually got good? Finally, there is a nostialgic quality about using the same pedal as Jimi Hendrix or your favorite guitar hero.

As someone who plays guitar as a hobby and not a profession, I'm interested in bang for your buck and buying individual pedals is just not worthwhile for people like me.

Not only for this tour, also during Elevation did he use 2 Pod Pro's.

As for seperate pedals or racks vs. multi effect processors.

It's all about how much money you are willing to spend vs. how anal you are about your guitar tone. I dare to say that 9 out of 10 people listening will not notice the difference. Especially considering that 99% of all bands will never make it out of the small club scene. And its notoriously hard to get a good sound when probably most of the backline and/or PA and the guy behind the mixer isn't even yours to begin with. So your monster rack/pedal collection may sound like shit while a simple plug directly into the PA Pod XT may sound great.
IMHO it only becomes an issue when you have more control over your overal sound. Like with big acts like U2 who do use their own PA and their own mixers and crew.

DanZigs, your tones sound really good,
could you please reupload a fresh image of your pod's memory?
i am using a pod xt and i would really love playing with your latest tones.
keep it up!

Last edited:
My tone library

Sorry for the slow response, I was in Cuba this past week for spring break ;)

Here's my tone library...

http://www.send space.com/file/y6bzxv

(remove the space)

The tones are optimized to be used together with the appropriate patch on my Variax.

ok, this is a bit embarassing,
but since i got no answer for a few weeks...
i forgot about this topic....
and missed the file...! :banghead:
would it be too muxh trouble to ask for it once more?

Repost of my soundbank

http://www.send space.com/file/ikofoa

Here you go. Again, please remove the spaces.

By the way, I use a lot of patches for several songs. For example:

- the Bad patch can be used for City of Blinding Lights by turning on compressor and distortion and tapping the tempo.

- The New Year's Day patch can be used for Miracle Drug.

- the Learn to Foo patch works nicely for Vertigo.

Also, most of the patches (eg. One, Sometimes) are setup so that you can turn on + off sound effects over the course of the song.

Back
Top Bottom