Fender Professional — yay or nay? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2016, 02:59 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Fender Professional — yay or nay?

So, now Fender replaced American Standard with American Professional, which also come with some feature changes. Also, this time, the American Pro series include Jazzmaster and Jaguar, not only strats and telecasters.I think you can read about all kinds of feature changes from this blog from Reverb.com (https://reverb.com/news/fender-ameri...eries-revealed)

what do you guys think of this? I thought addition of JM and Jag was great, but the simplification of features for these guitars don't really appeal to me; I get that mod they did to Jag is kinda like Johnny Marr sig., which is better for players in a sense. Also, not having jazz circuits probably is a plus for lots of people. But..... i wanted these to be somewhat more authentic to the original design than what they will offer. Also, Strats and Teles saw some improvements, which is, i guess, great; pickups are probably better (and made specifically for these guitars? possibly?) and neck shape is apparently more "modern" feeling. which is nice.

What do you guys think of this? Also, do you guys see Edge using these to promote his company? I personally don't think it's likely because he didnt do so in last IE tour (no American Elite/their prototypes or anything) and he hasn't used that many things from Fender aside from his signature/their prototypes, but we'll see, i guess.

Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:15 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 AM
So they're back to small headstock again for their Strats? Count me out then. Edge ruined me for anything but big headstock in regards to Strats.

As for the simplification, methinks that's a good thing. Simpler circuits tend to be less confusing to a user and most of those features were just never used anyway. I mean they could just eliminate the tone controls of all Fender Strats and Teles and most players wouldn't even notice it. And considering these are sort of entry level cheapest Fender guitars methinks these are just those kinds of players who wouldn't notice it, as purists would gravitate to a more expensive range of Fender instruments.

Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I happen to love using tone knob (for neck pup) on my cheap Squier strat, weirdly. could be because I want the wooly sounds out of my guitar, could be because I want the jazz tone like Jim Hall's or John Scofield's, though it probably isn't possible to do so. But i get that most people don't even use them and think that they're annoying.

Hey, people think large headstock is the indicative of bad quality because of the horrible CBS era guitars and they're ugly. I don't think so, and Edge probably doesn't, either.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

also, it's interesting that new Professional Jag has similar control to Johnny Marr sig. Jaguar.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I happen to love using tone knob (for neck pup) on my cheap Squier strat, weirdly. could be because I want the wooly sounds out of my guitar, could be because I want the jazz tone like Jim Hall's or John Scofield's, though it probably isn't possible to do so. But i get that most people don't even use them and think that they're annoying.
Anything that takes highs and definition out of my guitar tone is just..... bad in my book. I wouldn't even bother to include them on my guitar builds if it weren't for the Pink Floyd Echoes seagull screams trick.

Quote:
Hey, people think large headstock is the indicative of bad quality because of the horrible CBS era guitars and they're ugly. I don't think so, and Edge probably doesn't, either.
Ugly? Small headstocks are fugly. Big headstocks are beautiful. That means there's just more on the guitar to love. It doesn't hurt that the extra wood adds more tone to the guitar. A tiny bit but everything helps, right? Besides, how can a big headstock be bad and ugly? Jimi Hendrix had them on his and everybody thinks he is the greatest guitarist to have ever lived. Boy, Edge really has ruined me on this issue.

Come to think of it, do the people who buy entry level guitars, starting guitarists, even know about the CBS era? Isn't it just a matter of aesthetics to most guitarists?
Old 12-09-2016, 03:02 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Large or Small Headstock? | Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

well some people say large headstock is a nono. Not me, though. not me.

but it is true that many greats like Jimi and Richie Blackmore used strats with bigger headstock (because they used CBS era strat made in the 60s and 70s). and Edge did, of course.

about the tone knob, I know I shouldn't really need one but sometimes single coil pups can be too ear piercing and I'm often too lazy adjusting EQs on amps and pedals. it's quick and more readily available.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Refugee

Those purists are entitled to their wrong opinion. I have 6 Strats with big headstocks and 1 with the puny tiny headstock. I only got it because it was cheap and I couldn't afford a Strat with a proper headstock. The only reason I have not swapped that neck for one with a bigger headstock is that it really, really plays nice. A V-shaped neck that has really surprised me. So it earned its right to keep it. Even though it does look tiny and wimpy.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

welp, I found this: BIG HEAD HISTORY | Amsterdam Guitar Company
Old 12-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think US Professional is still considered "expensive" so some people buying these guitars may care about these details, like size of headstocks. Or even finishes. I naturally know about these things about vintage fenders/thier lingo because I have watched plenty of FrettedAmericana vids on Youtube. they're quite entertaining, frankly
Old 12-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I fully endorse that message!

As for this new line being expensive, the American Standard was only one step above the most expensive Squier line. They were the cheapest made in USA Fender guitars. Similar to the Gibson Studio Les Paul. If this series replaces the American Standard then people who think they are expensive must be cheap ass Squier Affinity series buyers or something.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:08 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Isn't it kinda hard to compare Gibson USA and US Fender? Because Fender has Mexico division which is kinda serving as "cheap but still with good quality" niche just like Gibson LP studios do? I still get your point, though.

I'm kinda puzzled that Fender didn't choose to do Professional version of Mustang, though. I mean, they made pro. Jag and JM, then why not modernized Mustang?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #12
Refugee

Maybe it will still come? The American Standard series also went through different versions. After all, the initital American Standard Strat started out with a puny wimpy headstock. They might do it if they hear there's enough demand for one.

I don't think its hard to compare Fender and Gibson as these guitars are not made in Mexico, so that branch is kinda out of the picture. So this series seems to serve those customers who want the step up from not having an Asian made Squier but still the bragging rights of owning a MIA Fender. Even though for the same money you could probably get a higher tier MIM Fender.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Probably Fender's logic is that they wouldn't need professional Mustang because they just released bunch of "offset" series which are basically modified Mustang/Duosonic. Fender finally noticed that offset guitars are cool, I guess. well too bad so many people/companies already knew they are cool.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I actually like those semi-big headstocks like JM or Jag have. not as big as 70s Strat but bigger than pre-CBS strats that we, purists, all desire.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:07 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Slight thread hijack here but kinda on topic. I'd love some advice and opinion re 'proper' strats.
I own an American Tradition strat. When I bought it in the 90s I thought it was a standard. I was young and in love with guitars, but naive and uneducated. Once google arrived and i educated myself I was horrified. My guitar was a pile of cheap parts and cheap wood.
But i still have it and I kinda like it. But I'm always left wondering how much better it could sound if it was, well, better.
You gurus, do you reckon a pup change could bring an American Tradition up to scratch or am I better off cutting my losses and getting a new professional? Or something else?

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote