Fender Benders, or Gimme Some Gibson?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
What is the best guitar brand... I'm thinking of getting the traditional Gibson brand seeing as it has a fatter sound. But, on the other hand, strats and telecasters sustain the higher pitches (and "twang"). What do you guys think is best for the purposes of Rock and Blues music? More importantly, what do you think is the best brand/style of electric guitar out there?

Rock on.

I play a Fender Telecaster, and I will NEVER give it up. The guitar is a tank, stays in tune for entire gigs, it's light, and the higher pitch allows it to cut through music and be very distinct. I also have a DeArmond electric w/ twin humbucklers, while it's not as reliable, the pick-ups are always hot and it's great for generating natural feedback. It really depends on your needs.

MrBrau1 said:
It really depends on your needs.

Yeah, I entirely agree with that. But, what do you think is the most versatile guitar body/brand... Personally, I'd go with a vintage Gibson, but I'm a newbie when it comes to electrics. I've talked to a lot of professional players, and when they talk about the authentic Gibson Les Pauls... it's almost like a PLEBA convention: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm looking for a guitar that can do a multitude of things, and one that won't limit me in terms of style in the long run. Since I'm investing a lot of money into this, I just want to make sure that the right decision is being made.

So basically, a guitar that can do: classic and modern rock, blues, maybe some jazz, and other things in that vein. Make sense?

PS- I apologize if my guitar terminology is not up to par with you guys... I'm still learning.

The American Fender Telecaster does all those things here are some noteworthy players with a world of different styles:

Bruce Springsteen
Keith Richards
Radiohead
Steve Cropper
Edge
Prince
John Fogerty

I love my Tele like nothing else, and you can get an American made one for around $800, compared to the Gibson Les Paul American made whic will start around $3,000.

MrBrau1 said:
I love my Tele like nothing else, and you can get an American made one for around $800, compared to the Gibson Les Paul American made whic will start around $3,000.

That price does scare me. I guess I'll just have to give the Telecaster a try... I know that it is a good quality guitar, but I really like that deep blues sound. Like you said before, sometimes you get feedback with the 'casters (on lower volumes)... so I think that was the main drawback I had about strats and teles.

Thank you MrBrau, you've just made my decision harder... which is probably a good thing.

:up:

After the Coldplay concert, you should change the countdown to how many more days until you get an electric fender.

:up:

cujo said:

it's almost like a PLEBA convention: :drool: :drool: :drool:

going into a guitar shop is definetly like that. then you run into that one really ugly pink sparkly one...:yuck:

What about strats vs. telecasters... any thoughts? Or is this a stupid question...

I play a Les Paul, and it's mostly for rhythm. While I love my LP, I have to concede that a Strat is generally more versatile to the different standard styles and sounds you can cover (blues, motown, etc.) The Tele's a bit too twangy for my taste - too much high end without texture. I like the hoarseness of a strat.

If you want to just make a lot of noise, and you don't know enough to get creative with your own sound, go with one of the standard setups. LP/Marshall stack, Strat/Fender twin, get yourself a standard effects set (distortion/delay) and start there.

Then move onto finding your own sound. Pretty soon you'll be putting in orders for custom guitars, and building a board for your pedals. Watch out.

skim1420 said:
Then move onto finding your own sound. Pretty soon you'll be putting in orders for custom guitars, and building a board for your pedals. Watch out.

Thanks a lot guys, but with all of these things to consider I think I might delay buying an electric. Right now I have an acoustic/electric, which is great when it's amped up... I really want to go out and get one, but what to you guys suggest... get more proficient with my playing on acoustic, or go to electric? I've been playing for about a year now, and I feel confident enough that I can make the transition.

PS- what about amps... any suggestions there?

Thanks again, all of you have really helped a lot.

I bought a Epiphone Les Paul and ripped out the old crappy pickups and replaced them with Seymour Duncans.

Honestly, you can end up with a pretty good guitar by taking shortcuts in cheapness like that.

If I was to buy a second electric guitar right now, I'd either get a Telecaster or Rickenbacker.

Well I was thinking about getting a cheap knockoff of a Les Paul called Barracuda, and I haven't heard anything bad about the brand. My plan is, to buy an affordable electric, and learn on it... once I understand the subtle differences between higher-end (and higher-priced) guitars, I think I'll go get a G and L*

Do you guys know anything about the brand... I heard it was created by Leo Fender after he found his company was becoming too commercial. So he left with the original Fender templates and started up with his partner from the Fender firm. From what I hear from the pros... these are the true Fender guitars and I think eventually I'll invest in one.

The plan from there... when I save up enough, I'll get a Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall stack, sound good? :wink:

* the brand might be called GNL, I haven't actually seen it.

Last edited:
cujo said:
The plan from there... when I save up enough, I'll get a Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall stack, sound good? :wink:

Sounds fantasic. Make sure to save up for a Vox AC30 also.

Hello Cujo,

I've been playing guitar and bass (mostly bass) for almost 30 years and have bought and played a shedload of both over that period. First, there is no "best" electric guitar, in the end it all comes down to personal preference, if you like a particular guitar you will be much more likely to play well in whatever style you choose. Also, any decent guitar plugged into a decent amp and cab should be versatile enough to take on a wide range of styles so don't buy into the popular misconception that a particular guitar is good for a particular style and nothing else, e.g. Les Pauls are only good for metal (or whatever). A few years ago the idea that Edge would play the solo for New Year's Day on any instrument other than a Strat seemed inconceivable but when in the mid/late 80's he started using a Les Paul (which is often alleged by would-be gurus to sound nothing like a Strat) for that solo no-one could tell the difference by sound alone. I would also point out that there are lots of good guitars made by firms like Epiphone or Tokia that are, to all intents and purposes, almost indistinguishable from the Gibsons and Fenders they look like. I have played some real dogs by Gibson/Fender and some lovely Epiphones and Squiers (Fender's budget line). You do not need to spend a fortune on a guitar to get a good one. Consider G&L by all means, along with Fenders and Gibsons. But if this is your first guitar I would suggest that you also have a good look at the Mexican Fenders, Fender Squiers, Epiphones, Tokais and whatever else catches your eye in that price range. These guitars are much less expensive than the top of the range instruments, the good ones play very nicely and there is no reason why you should not be playing it in 20 years time, assuming you keep playing of course. I would suggest a good starting place would be an Epiphone Les Paul (with the humbuckers, not the noisy single coil P90 copies) or a Telecaster of some sort, perhaps a Tokai or Japanese Squier (second-hand only but worth finding). Both are classics of guitar design and you should be able to do pretty much whatever style takes your fancy with either. Don't swap the pickups out untill you have played it through a good amp for a while and are sure the change is necessary, especially on the Tele, the pickups are not as bad as many people claim and Fender's own pickup is inherently noisy too. I would suggest staying away from cheaper Strats because of the tremolo system which can be a bit iffy unless it's well made. Also consider second-hand instruments. If I had to recommend a copy guitar, I would have to give my vote to Tokai, who I think make some of the best mass production guitars on the market at any price. My main bass is a Tokai Jazz, and I own a real Fender Jazz and a 70's Rickenbacker 4001 amongst others so the competition is fierce.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Mick

gragravar said:
Also, any decent guitar plugged into a decent amp and cab should be versatile enough to take on a wide range of styles so don't buy into the popular misconception that a particular guitar is good for a particular style and nothing else
Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Mick

Thanks a lot for your input Mick,

I entirely agree with what you've said... the only reason why I was thinking of going for a higher-end electric is because I've played acoustic for awhile now. It seems to be the concensus though, that the best route is to get a middle of the road less-"reputable" (not meant to be a bad connotation) electric, and then later on get the big mothers... or re-tool by adding new pick-ups...

I've heard good things about the Mexican Fenders, and even the Japanese 'casters... but I think that Epiphone might be the way to go, to get that deeper ("metal") sound... and like you say, it's more about performance than the brand. You can have the best equipment in the world, but if you can't use it... well, it's not gonna help.

PS- I went and picked up a Roland Cube-15 Amp (just a practice amp) to plug my acoustic/electric into... and man does it sound awesome. With the different distortion settings and such, I think it'll keep me occupied while my search for the perfect axe continues. If you guys see any good deals, be sure to pass them on.

Thanks again Mick, great stuff :up:

Cheers,
cujo

Hey Cujo,

Glad you found my reply helpful. Just to say that some of the Japanese Fenders are excellent instruments, they are arguably more consistently good than the USA ones in my experience. But every instrument has good and bad examples. One of my favourite guitars is a Korean Fender Squier Telecaster. It cost me about ?60 UK (about $100 US). The bridge pickup was broken so I put a slimline humbucker in there because the Fender pickup is quite noisy, that cost me ?25. The body is made of chip and sawdust, which you might think would sound dreadful, but it's a hardwood sawdust so in fact it sounds great. The action is lovely, the neck is great, it sounds marvellous, it's just a great guitar in fact and has given great service over the last ten or so years and has been dragged and dropped all over the world. I have got rid of many more valuable instruments than that one over the years but that one is a keeper. Anyway, I would suggest you go out looking for a few days and take no money or cards with you, and just play whatever takes your fancy. Eventually you will find something you like. Explain the issue to the sales guy, if he keeps steering you towards high-end guitars, go elsewhere.

Good luck

Mick

It's funny the difference in opinion people have about certain guitars when you speak of what country produced them. Having read a few British Guitar buyer magazines, I see that the reviewers there are more prone to suggest brands from Asia and Mexico... while the conservative American magazines usually stick with domestic high-end stuff. I'm glad I have gotten diverse feedback from you guys, cause it has stopped me from buying into the Fender/Gibson only mentality...

I've run across an advertisement in my local bargain finder for an Ibanez Les Paul with an asking price of $700 Canadian (2 British Pounds :wink:)... I think I'll check into it...

Thanks again
Talk to you guys later

cujo

I've come across another guitar one not mentioned in this thread (to my knowledge)... and have been told it's a great deal. Here's the specs on it:

- Hamer Studio
- Seymour Duncan Pick-ups (both)
- 100% Solid Mohagony
- GREEN (very rare color for the model/brand type)
- comes with Roland practice amp and case
- mint condition

It's listed at around $1400.00 Canadian...

What do you guys think? (If anyone still reads this thread) :wink:

cujo

Last edited:
so thats like 12 dollars american? that does sound like a great deal, go for it.

Looks nice to me Cujie, you'll have to see how good green looks though. Sometimes color really can make a difference.

Last edited:
as i am just beginning to play the guitar, this thread has been very helpful for me as well. i've been mulling over my options but just haven't been able to figure out what was the right one for me. good of you to post all this!

:yes:

I know how overwhelming it is when starting to research the many idiosyncracies of various guitar styles... good luck on your search. Just don't settle on something you won't be satisfied with.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be getting that Hamer soon... I'll be sure to post a pic.

I would just like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. You made my quest maybe a little longer than I anticipated... but it was worth the wait.

Cheers to the EBTTRT forum, and all of you who grace us beginners with your knowledge.

Hey Cujo,

Don't know if you settled on your geetar yet...but I couldn't help but notice that you seemed to be leaning towards the solid body Les Paul types...

Also noted that you were looking for something that is versatile across a number of genres...and I couldn't help but think of the Gibson 335. Well of course I couldn't afford that, but I did get the Epiphone Dot, it's clone with the humbuckers. And as Mick points out (dang you are knowledgable Mick I'll have to remember that ;)), sometimes the clones can give as good if not better service! Alot of fellows will tell you to switch this and that if you buy an Epi, I say if it ain't broke...:)

I'm pretty happy with my Dot, yet I'm no lead guitarist...more Bono style I guess..;). Incidentally, I think the lead guitarist from Coldplay plays either a 335 or a Dot...or at least he appears to be in the In My Place video..

Amps: I would have to say I lean away from Marshalls, especially for what you say you want (ie versatility across genres). If money were no object I'd say a vintage VOX amp would be great. Remember tho that they need lots of babying and maintenance can be a bitch on a vintage amp. Or maybe a Fender Twin. Or...if like me you want to get in the tube amp class for under a grand and get the best value for your buck I'd say the Peavey Classic 50 or the Delta Blues 30 are just peachy.

Mick's advice is definately sound tho: try before you buy and don't go with your $$ the first time..;)

Well that's my rookie advice..

Thanks a lot gabrielvox... your advice is very welcome to both me and other amateur guitar hunters. I did unfortunately make the mistake of taking the money with me to get the guitar... but I did have a lot of background information on it before I went in. If you're interested, there's a sister thread to this talking about the one I eventually a bought a few days back... the Hamer I've been hyping up.

Thanks again for your help... in a few months I'll probably be looking for an amp with more authority, so I might run after you guys again for advice.

cujo
recently betrothed
(in the guitar sense of the word).

:sexywink:

I have a 57' Gibson Les Paul Custom and it is the greatest guitar. I will never give it up. It can play just about any type of rock music.

Back
Top Bottom