Fans playing U2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The_Edge89 said:
Try here
http://www.u2sound.com/archive.htm
Go down to
"ASSORTED SAMPLES TO ACHIEVE SIMILAR SOUNDS THAN U2"
There's clips/songs by Scott Perreta and the webmasters U2 tribute band.

I'll see what I can do myself!
Maybe I can do some....

Thanks man! Some really great samples there! The Acrobat was pretty amazing! All of them were very good!

But don't get me wrong here folks, I'd also love to hear novice players do U2 songs!

Oh yeah, and I could contribute with a song or two some day :)

Last edited:
Here's a couple of cover bands' efforts:

Australian U2 Show
http://www.austu2show.com/music.htm

Zoo2 (click on the videos link)
http://www.geocities.com/edgelett.geo/

and Lemon, from Chile:
http://www.u2lemon.cl/inicio.html

.. you mean us though, don't you ...! Er, I do have a video of me singing ISHFWILF at my work farewell backed by a choir (gospel version, more of less) but I've neither the vanity or bollocks to watch it to see how it came out, never mind post it anywhere online.

I'll be VERY impressed if anyone here does have a go & post their home done versions!

Cheers ~Ultra

Wow, that was very good! Congratulations - well done! I like these acoustic versions of U2 songs and hope to hear some more! I stored your version of Acrobat on my HD and will burn a CD if we get enough songs eventually :)

..And good luck finding the job you like!

Wow thanks guys it's nice to get complements from complete strangers :)

The_Edge89 - I really want to get far with my vocals (I lead sing/songwrite in a band) and i'm also pretty useless at self assement :) so I'd love to know which areas you think i could improve on. Don't worry about offending me, i'm pretty thick skinned :)

flameandthefire - Thanks for the kind words they mean a lot, if your burning a U2 fan CD maybe i could do a couple of extra songs. I started learning guitar on U2 songs mostly so i've got a few i could do and i could get my band to do some bass tracks, some lead or maybe some piano. I'm multi tracking so the sky is the limit.

It sounds like a fun project - Let me know if this sounds like something you would be interested in

jimkeenNOSPAM@gmail.com (kill the NOSPAM to email me

Last edited:
Yeah all right,
I hoped that I wouldn't offend you.
I'm not that kind of person...
And I can as well admit that you do have a better vocal than I do (even though I'm still in my middle teens and that's when your voice starts fuctioning again...)

It's maybe because you make the song a bit personalized, and don't stick with the actual melody/words sometimes which is good btw, that I don't liked it at first.
Now after a secind listening, I didn't actually fins much to "complain" about I you know what I'm saying.

It seems that you have the power to belt out your voice, so don't be afraid to, I'm sure your audience would really appreciate a lead singer who give them all the singing one has got.
I mean, if you went to a U2 concert wouldn't it be kind of a
let-down if Bono didn't gave you all he got during the concert?
Especially when you know he can do better than just mumbling the words with no passion at all...

Have you got something else for me to "analyze"?
I'm not vocal coach but...and Acrobat is a special song.

Hope you got something out of all those words I wrote...
And I suppose your're older than me as well...
so I understand if you're a bit upset about a junior fan give critic to a senior U2 fan...
:wink:

But keep it comin' and don't ever lose your self-confidence 'cause your really good!

Hey thanks for that man. i'm not in the slightest bit offended or upset with anything you said. I love constructive critisisim because it makes me better at what i love to do.Hey thanks for that man. I’m not in the slightest bit offended or upset with anything you said. I love constructive criticism because it makes me better at what I love to do.

I’m only nineteen and I don’t like that adolescent sound that comes with all teen voices…sounds so amateurish, but I guess that now is the time for practicing later I can perform.

I’m afraid I don’t really have much other stuff to analyse, most of my songs that I sing on I just sort of work on them and play them but never record them…which Is stupid because we have two track recording capability here enabling us to record drums and bass first and play guitar and sing and stuff over the top, just got to get the band involved.

And I don’t know about me being a “senior U2 fan” I feel quite ashamed that I only got into them in 2001 even though they have been around my entire life, even longer!

Thanks again :)

Oh I see so, you're 19..
I thought that your voice sounded much more mature, I couldn't tell you where that close to my own age (15, 16 in January 05)

Therefore I thought of you as a senior U2 fan...
Myself I've been a fan of U2 ever since my birth I guess, remembering daddy playing Lemon on the stereo everytime I needed to sleep during the days...
I got more into U2 just pre-atyclb

Bravo Steak :applaud:

You fooled me with your voice too, I would have guessed you to be much older than 19 with that barritone. The way you pronounced "bastard" gave away your aussie nationality, but that's very cool too.

Did you tab that yourself or download it from somewhere? I'd be interested in that tab if it's not too much trouble. I've got a pretty crappy computer, but maybe if I can get around that I'll throw out one of my versions, I've only been playing for a couple of years though, so don't expect too much.

Great thread idea.

Hey this is absolutely GREAT, Steak and others! I'm really happy to see that you like this idea! Hey everybody, this is a big idea, let's make it happen! Let's collect enough songs to fill up one CD!

But let me tell you something - do not rush! There's no need to rush! _Take your time_ to record you playing U2 songs! There is _absolutely_ no need to rush. I myself am very thrilled about this, but haven't been able to record any songs yet. But at least one contribution will come from me too! Sooner or later. And that's a promise!

Let's keep this idea in mind and not forget it! One day we'll have enough songs for a CD! And remember! No matter if you are a beginner or a pro! Just give your best! That will do! That is all we want! Just give your best! This is going to be a tribute to U2 by U2 fans! This is going to be great!

The idea sounds good, and I could record something. However, I don´t post on the net..

First, I don´t have the technique, I mostly work on analog tape in my home studio, just to record some improvisations you know.. to record my grand piano, I´d need some good microphones (like Schoeps or whatever), the SM 58 is a nice live mike for singing, but not built for recording a grand piano.

Then, being a musician, I am familiar with the copyright stuff, and to post covers by any other artist (including U2) on the net would probably violate their copyrights. They have composed the song, so ít would have to be authorized.

However, it´s a nice idea, and I would like to contribute a very unique piano version, f.e. Running To Stand Still, if you can work out the things above w Principle.

No i don't think it's a violation of copyright.....i may help out on the running to stand still.

And i'm working on tabbing out what i play for acrobat :)

I'm not sure what the legality of posting a cover song on the internet is but I doubt there would be any problem unless you were trying to pass it off as your own and/or trying to make a few bucks off of it.

What kind of basic recording gear do you need to record a decent quality MP3 anyway?

I'm sitting and improvise-recording "Tryin' To Throw.." right now, with just my electric guitar, the effect unit (V-Amp2) an amp and computer microphone.
Try placing the mike about a meter from your amp...
And of course a program to record/encode it with, Audacity.

Sounds pretty nice to me although it can take some time setting it all up after you've moved your stuff to your computer-room from the living room :huh: ;)

(Edit: Oh yeah, and let me tell you:
I've put some pieces of both One and All I Want Is You into it;))

Last edited:
I use a SM58 microphone set up next to the guitar amp, i set up the levels, press record in adobe audition (previosley cool edit pro) and play away.

I then use the same program to run the multi track and then i sing over the top. In a pinch I sometimes just put a mic next to the guitar and sing and play at the same time....but timeing sometimes suffers for this...

The_Edge89 said:
What happened to this thread?:eyebrow:

I just got a new pc and downloaded audacity. Now I just need a half decent mike and a vocal coach (lol). Just give this thread a bump once in awhile as a reminder to post tunes.

This isn't pleba, it'll take awhile for this thread to get lost in the back pages.

I'm using an Explorer copy by Slammer... I did originally try it on my Strat copy, but it didn't sound good. All of the effects were done through a Digitech RP200.

For the chorus:
Amp Model - HiGain (Gain 10)
Delay - 230 ms
Reverb - Garage (Decay 60)

For that lead bit in the second verse and that riff before the slow bit, I pretty much used the same settings, except I cranked down the gain and turned up delay level.

For the slow bit:
Amp Model: Clean 1 (Gain 99)
Cabinet/Mic/Gate: BRIT 4/Silencer/Threshold 10
Delay: 400 ms

Back
Top Bottom