Even better than the real thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr mc sarcasm

The Fly
Hi,

I'm having trouble with the opening (intro) for EBTTRT....
I have this guitarbook for the 1990-2000 album, but for the intro it says:

Key sig. denotes A dorian mode???????????

and I should play (according to the book):

----------15ma

A - - - - - 0 - --

Don't understand a WORD of what they are saying???

HELP!!!!!

15ma is the pitch that it's in usually 8ma means 8 notes up so 15 i would presume is 15 tones/notes up
A dorian modes is a scale, key sig. denotes means the key signature is in "A dorian" but usually you don't need to know that stuff. Because usually one sharp in the key signature means it's in G but I think A dorian would also have one sharp...it's pretty confusing...but forget that

And you need to use a whammy pedal to acquire the beggining if you don't just this is the closest you can get:
------------------------------------------
--0---0----<12>----0---<12>--------

Thanx SWlondnr!!!!!
But.....that little riff you showed me isn't working really well yet.....I'll let you know if I find another way of playing it....

ok...you do need a whammy pedal for the intro to the song. i think the key is actually D, not E, so the intro would be something like:

|----------------------|
|----------------------|
|7--7--(whammy)-|
|0--0--(twice)------|
|----------------------|
|----------------------|

but if you dont have a whammy pedal, you can play this:

|------10--10-|
|---------------|
|7--7----7----|
|0--0----0----|
|---------------|
|---------------|

it sounds OK, but there's nothing like a real whammy pedal!

Just in case anyone is confused, the key for this one is A on the AB album but D live on ZooTV and later. And yes, you can't play the intro properly without a whammy pedal or similar.

gragravar said:
Just in case anyone is confused, the key for this one is A on the AB album but D live on ZooTV and later. And yes, you can't play the intro properly without a whammy pedal or similar.

Yes edge changes the key in live versions, eg. capos and tunings
In the R&H pride version is tuned down a step from the album version. But in the Slane video, it's tuned down a whole step. I suppose they alter it according to bono vocal range or it might sound better.

SWlondnr said:

Yes edge changes the key in live versions, eg. capos and tunings
In the R&H pride version is tuned down a step from the album version. But in the Slane video, it's tuned down a whole step. I suppose they alter it according to bono vocal range or it might sound better.

Edge does use capo and tunings to change the key live, but for EBTTRT, he just plays the song the next string up.

i think Pride on R&H was played in standard tuning but the editor of the video tuned the sound down, or something to this effect. wierd :huh:

I think discothequeLP is right abuot the tuning on the R&H movie....I always need some kind of weird tuning for that version of Exit..!!.....Why they are messing with tuning is unknown to me.

The fiddle with the tuning, I dunno to probably fit bonos vocals, because song songs he goes pretty low/high, so they raise so it isn't such a strain on his voice.

And the wierd thing they do to change the pitch is something they experimented in the original pride version, they lowered it down a note and as the lower the note the speed changes aswell, but in the end they decided not to do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom