Educate my mind....musical terms etc.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2001, 11:59 AM   #1
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Educate my mind....musical terms etc....

I admit it. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say stuff like pickups, splash, ride etc. I have no idea what pedals are really supposed to do. Can anyone give the the low down on what all this stuff means? Drums and guitar terms etc. Help!

------------------

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

"I was in charge of this band for two days. Two days was all I lasted." -- Larry

"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect." -- Bono, 1982

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

clarityat3am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 06:33 AM   #2
AM
Refugee

Local Time: 07:54 AM
a bass guitar is that thing Adam has around his neck in order to imitate making sex

Did this help? No? Ok a pickup is this thing which "picks up" the sound of a guitar or a bass (electric ones). As for the other words, sorry. Never really played with english speaking musicians

am

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 11:24 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 08:54 AM
hey man i was/am just like you, but whenever your in a conversation about something that you think the other person knows more about...just stand there and go..."ya, that ones better"..."no, your right"...."yup".........until you can understand what there talking about and learn about the stuff there talking about......................then after you know some stuff...then you can be like..."no, that ones no good"..."no go for the gibson"...."screw squire"..."now put some reverb on that one"......trust me it works

(p.s. notice how i didn't help you at all)
BLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 11:57 AM   #4
I Serve Larry's Stick

I thought my thread was hopelessly dead, but come to find out it's full of useless information! Woohoo!

AM - lmao @ Adam's bass, always wondered what that sound was coming from it!

BLOCK - ummmm...ok...so when do I start to understand?

------------------

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

"I was in charge of this band for two days. Two days was all I lasted." -- Larry

"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect." -- Bono, 1982

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by clarityat3am (edited 07-02-2001).]
Old 07-02-2001, 05:30 PM   #5
Banned

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Hee - I always just stare intently into their eyes and nod thoughtfully whenever someone starts talking about something I dont yet understand!! It usually works and they think I'm really bright....unless THEY'RE really bright and decide to question me on it... In that case i just pray for an earthquake to disrupt things!!
Miss MacPhisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:32 PM   #6
War Child

Hey, I actually have a degree in audio engineering (don't laugh) so I might be able to help you out. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

Oh, by the way, a ride and a splash are both different types of cymbals.
ti-hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 06:09 PM   #7
Bad Daddy Johnny

Drum Terms:

Splash- A thin accent cymbal usually 6"-12" wide.
Crash- A thin-medium thickness cymbal usually 16"-20" wide.
Ride- A thicker, heavier cymbal usually 20"-22" wide.
Hi-Hats- A pair of cymbals that mount on top of one another (Like a hamburger bun) and have a foot pedal to control their position. Usually 13"-15" wide.

Any other questions about drums?
Johnny Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 12:04 PM   #8
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Drum Terms:

Splash- A thin accent cymbal usually 6"-12" wide.
Crash- A thin-medium thickness cymbal usually 16"-20" wide.
Ride- A thicker, heavier cymbal usually 20"-22" wide.
Hi-Hats- A pair of cymbals that mount on top of one another (Like a hamburger bun) and have a foot pedal to control their position. Usually 13"-15" wide.

Any other questions about drums?
Ummm...so those are the different kinds of cymbals then...what about different kinds of drums?? Are there too many to explain?
Thanks for the definitions JS!

Is there anyone out there that explain different kinds of guitars and bass guitars to me?

------------------

clarityat3am@hotmail.com
Old 07-21-2001, 04:22 PM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am:
Ummm...so those are the different kinds of cymbals then...what about different kinds of drums?? Are there too many to explain?
Thanks for the definitions JS!

Is there anyone out there that explain different kinds of guitars and bass guitars to me?

Well not being a guitarist I can't give you much info their. But I can tell you about bass.

A bass guitar, Adam's instrument (no giggling), is usually found with four strings - 5 and 6 strings exist. The strings are usually toned, low to high, E A D G. Although Adam normally plays with his tuning down a half step - I explain that some other time.

A bass is also part of the rhythm section, the bassist bridges the drummer and the melody. So in essence Adam covers a sounds gap between Larry and Bono/Edge. The purpose of the bass, and it's sound is quite different from the guitar. If you have more questions (I'm sure you will) let me know.

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.
DorianGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:13 AM   #10
I Serve Larry's Stick

Keep going....and feel free to treat me like you're talking to a kid about this stuff cuz I don't know anything! lol
Old 07-24-2001, 02:23 AM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 01:54 AM
*points at Clarity's Larry stick*

yup, Larry-man usually hits cymbals & snares with those... occasionally, he eyes pretty girls in the audience and gives them away.

Edge does that too... with funny, triangle-shaped, plastic wedges.

Of course you probably know all of that, since you have one of Larry-man's coveted prizes.
J-Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:01 AM   #12
The Fly

Ok- well here's bass part II. Since you are coming at this totally new let me let you in on a little secret - Bass guitar is the best instrument to play, women love you because you're the cool laid back guy in the band, you can play notes that cause entire rooms to vibrate (which women also love), you don't have to buy $1000 worth of guitar effects pedals, you don't have to cart around a van's worth of drum equipment, and you don't have to carry around the ego associated with being a lead singer.

All you have to do is keep good time with your drummer, provide a good "feel" to the music, and let the women come flocking (exhibit A: Adam Clayton). There really is no need to learn anything else - so go buy a bass and large stick. Use the bass to play, and the stick to beat off all your new adoring fans.

[This message has been edited by DorianGray (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old 07-24-2001, 07:07 AM   #13
I Serve Larry's Stick

LMAO you guys are killin me here! lol

------------------

When you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit, you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it --- Summer Rain

clarityat3am@hotmail.com
Old 08-02-2001, 04:24 PM   #14
The Fly

oooh this has been very educational for me, too! Please continue!!!
SanDiego Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 02:27 AM   #15
Babyface

Local Time: 08:54 AM
wow I never knew that about U2 or anything of this info...

pretty cool stuff!

------------------
Joe "elevate me" Despres

PLEASE come visit my awesome Beatles website!
It has polls, trivia, graphics, and much more!

www.angelfire.com/music2/online beatles
bono10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 07:35 AM   #16
The Fly

Any other bass players have woman troubles too? I mean "they" get a whiff of those big fat J-bass pickups and it's like an aphrodisiac.

:P

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:05 AM   #17
I Serve Larry's Stick

More info...I must have more!!
Old 08-08-2001, 01:07 AM   #18
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by DorianGray:
Any other bass players have woman troubles too? I mean "they" get a whiff of those big fat J-bass pickups and it's like an aphrodisiac.

:P

That explains why I'm not picking up any men!

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question.
J-Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 08:43 AM   #19
The Fly

J-Tree: I would suggest switching to a P-Bass and wearing tighter skirts and revealing tops. The combination of the meatier P-Bass sound and the look of sexual voracity should attract plenty of men.

If that doesn't work give me a call and I'll tell you how to straighten a truss rod. (Man I never knew music could have so many sexual innuendos)
Old 08-08-2001, 09:37 AM   #20
AM
Refugee

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DorianGray:
J-Tree: I would suggest switching to a P-Bass and wearing tighter skirts and revealing tops. The combination of the meatier P-Bass sound and the look of sexual voracity should attract plenty of men.
..and Adam loves female bass players

AM is offline   Reply With Quote