Educate my mind....musical terms etc....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
I admit it. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say stuff like pickups, splash, ride etc. I have no idea what pedals are really supposed to do. Can anyone give the the low down on what all this stuff means? Drums and guitar terms etc. Help!
biggrin.gif

------------------

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

"I was in charge of this band for two days. Two days was all I lasted." -- Larry

"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect." -- Bono, 1982

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

a bass guitar is that thing Adam has around his neck in order to imitate making sex
biggrin.gif

Did this help? No? Ok a pickup is this thing which "picks up" the sound of a guitar or a bass (electric ones). As for the other words, sorry. Never really played with english speaking musicians
frown.gif

am

hey man i was/am just like you, but whenever your in a conversation about something that you think the other person knows more about...just stand there and go..."ya, that ones better"..."no, your right"...."yup".........until you can understand what there talking about and learn about the stuff there talking about......................then after you know some stuff...then you can be like..."no, that ones no good"..."no go for the gibson"...."screw squire"..."now put some reverb on that one"......trust me it works
biggrin.gif

(p.s. notice how i didn't help you at all)

I thought my thread was hopelessly dead, but come to find out it's full of useless information! Woohoo!
tongue.gif

AM - lmao @ Adam's bass, always wondered what that sound was coming from it!
tongue.gif

BLOCK - ummmm...ok...so when do I start to understand?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

"I was in charge of this band for two days. Two days was all I lasted." -- Larry

"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect." -- Bono, 1982

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by clarityat3am (edited 07-02-2001).]

Hee - I always just stare intently into their eyes and nod thoughtfully whenever someone starts talking about something I dont yet understand!! It usually works and they think I'm really bright....unless THEY'RE really bright and decide to question me on it... In that case i just pray for an earthquake to disrupt things!!

Hey, I actually have a degree in audio engineering (don't laugh) so I might be able to help you out. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

Oh, by the way, a ride and a splash are both different types of cymbals.

Drum Terms:

Splash- A thin accent cymbal usually 6"-12" wide.
Crash- A thin-medium thickness cymbal usually 16"-20" wide.
Ride- A thicker, heavier cymbal usually 20"-22" wide.
Hi-Hats- A pair of cymbals that mount on top of one another (Like a hamburger bun) and have a foot pedal to control their position. Usually 13"-15" wide.

Any other questions about drums?

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Drum Terms:

Splash- A thin accent cymbal usually 6"-12" wide.
Crash- A thin-medium thickness cymbal usually 16"-20" wide.
Ride- A thicker, heavier cymbal usually 20"-22" wide.
Hi-Hats- A pair of cymbals that mount on top of one another (Like a hamburger bun) and have a foot pedal to control their position. Usually 13"-15" wide.

Any other questions about drums?

Ummm...so those are the different kinds of cymbals then...what about different kinds of drums?? Are there too many to explain?
confused.gif

Thanks for the definitions JS!
biggrin.gif

Is there anyone out there that explain different kinds of guitars and bass guitars to me?
confused.gif

------------------

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

Originally posted by clarityat3am:
Ummm...so those are the different kinds of cymbals then...what about different kinds of drums?? Are there too many to explain?
confused.gif

Thanks for the definitions JS!
biggrin.gif

Is there anyone out there that explain different kinds of guitars and bass guitars to me?
confused.gif

Well not being a guitarist I can't give you much info their. But I can tell you about bass.

A bass guitar, Adam's instrument (no giggling), is usually found with four strings - 5 and 6 strings exist. The strings are usually toned, low to high, E A D G. Although Adam normally plays with his tuning down a half step - I explain that some other time.

A bass is also part of the rhythm section, the bassist bridges the drummer and the melody. So in essence Adam covers a sounds gap between Larry and Bono/Edge. The purpose of the bass, and it's sound is quite different from the guitar. If you have more questions (I'm sure you will) let me know.

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

*points at Clarity's Larry stick*

yup, Larry-man usually hits cymbals & snares with those... occasionally, he eyes pretty girls in the audience and gives them away.

Edge does that too... with funny, triangle-shaped, plastic wedges.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Of course you probably know all of that, since you have one of Larry-man's coveted prizes.
tongue.gif

Ok- well here's bass part II. Since you are coming at this totally new let me let you in on a little secret - Bass guitar is the best instrument to play, women love you because you're the cool laid back guy in the band, you can play notes that cause entire rooms to vibrate (which women also love), you don't have to buy $1000 worth of guitar effects pedals, you don't have to cart around a van's worth of drum equipment, and you don't have to carry around the ego associated with being a lead singer.

All you have to do is keep good time with your drummer, provide a good "feel" to the music, and let the women come flocking (exhibit A: Adam Clayton). There really is no need to learn anything else - so go buy a bass and large stick. Use the bass to play, and the stick to beat off all your new adoring fans.

[This message has been edited by DorianGray (edited 07-24-2001).]

LMAO you guys are killin me here! lol
biggrin.gif

------------------

When you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit, you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it --- Summer Rain

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

wow I never knew that about U2 or anything of this info...

pretty cool stuff!

------------------
Joe "elevate me" Despres

PLEASE come visit my awesome Beatles website!
It has polls, trivia, graphics, and much more!

www.angelfire.com/music2/online beatles

Any other bass players have woman troubles too? I mean "they" get a whiff of those big fat J-bass pickups and it's like an aphrodisiac.

:p

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

Originally posted by DorianGray:
Any other bass players have woman troubles too? I mean "they" get a whiff of those big fat J-bass pickups and it's like an aphrodisiac.

:p

That explains why I'm not picking up any men!
tongue.gif

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question.

J-Tree: I would suggest switching to a P-Bass and wearing tighter skirts and revealing tops. The combination of the meatier P-Bass sound and the look of sexual voracity should attract plenty of men.

If that doesn't work give me a call and I'll tell you how to straighten a truss rod. (Man I never knew music could have so many sexual innuendos)

J-Tree: I would suggest switching to a P-Bass and wearing tighter skirts and revealing tops. The combination of the meatier P-Bass sound and the look of sexual voracity should attract plenty of men.

..and Adam loves female bass players
smile.gif

Never seen or heard of Adam using 5 or 6 string (although rumor has it that he owns a Musicman Stingray 5 string). Lately He's been using mostly a couple of 4-string Fender Jazz basses, a new Lakland Jazz bass (4-string as well), and his old Fender P-Bass. He's done some mods to most of his basses. He put a Jazz neck on his 72 P-Bass because he likes the Jazz neck better.

You should go out and check out a couple of basses and see what you like. I'm a Fender P-Bass man myself, but everyone has their own favorite brand/type depending on what their sound is.

------------------
------------------

pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

Zooerang, let?s meet in Dublin and I?ll take you to same music shops

------------------
Although it's a confusing time, I think it is genuinely exciting. I think the world is filled with possibilities at the moment. ~ Adam

Oh Dorian! I love you and you know it! LOL
eek.gif

Ack, I hate skirts! Well, it's not the skirts that do me in, it's usually the SHOES! How come I couldn't be born a man?! Then I would be cool no matter what! LOL

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question.

What? You don't want to take me too? I feel all left out - man. I thought I was loved. Oh well - so goes the life of the bassist.

sorry Dorian, you can come as well. Just pop over to Ireland
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
You know that we all love you.

------------------
Although it's a confusing time, I think it is genuinely exciting. I think the world is filled with possibilities at the moment. ~ Adam

Originally posted by AM:
sorry Dorian, you can come as well. Just pop over to Ireland
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
You know that we all love you.

I was planning on going to Dublin and the rest of Ireland this fall. I was just accepted into a PhD program, so I guess I'll be spending time studying instead of going to to Ireland
frown.gif
Oh well, maybe some other time, I'll meet you all there soon enough.

------------------
------------------

pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

Looks at the thread she started...hmmmm. So this has turned into bass discussion?? <pauses> Cool! Carry on!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------

When you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit, you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it --- Summer Rain

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

Well actually there's another bass posting here in "Even Better...." so maybe I'll carry on the bass discussion elsewhere. I guess the guitarists and drummers are too busy delivering pizzas to comment on this thread. (That one should inflame some people! Maybe it will get those guys talking)

Originally posted by clarityat3am:
Looks at the thread she started...hmmmm. So this has turned into bass discussion?? <pauses> Cool! Carry on!!!
biggrin.gif

I guess the guitarists and drummers are too busy delivering pizzas to comment on this thread. (That one should inflame some people! Maybe it will get those guys talking)

biggrin.gif
@ Dorian. Ok, let?s move back to our own bass thread
smile.gif
Clarity, check in anytime
smile.gif

------------------

Back
Top Bottom