Edges Old set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breathe

Refugee
Miami...New Orleans..Belfast and....Miami
What was edges old set up? A memory man and AC30 right? Does the memory man have overdrive? If it does that would mean all the early songs like out of control,I will fallow ,new years day ect......would edge only use delay and overdrive on those songs?

What was edges old set up? A memory man and AC30 right? Does the memory man have overdrive? If it does that would mean all the early songs like out of control,I will fallow ,new years day ect......would edge only use delay and overdrive on those songs?

(2) Deluxe Memory Man (delay) and MXR DynaComp (Compressor).

A lot of what Edge did was getting some drive from the EH Dlx Memory Man and also by using the volume on the guitar.

If you set your amp/effect to where when your guitar is at... say 6-7 and clean, when you roll the volume up, you will get it to push the amp/effects and overdrive.

Keep in mind there is a difference between a Memory Man and Deluxe Memory Man; Vibrato / Chorus on the Deluxe.

And yes, much of the live sound of U2 up through War was overdrive from the amps (pushed by drive in the EH DMM and/or guitar volume) and EH Deluxe Memory Man using the modulation from the Vibrato setting.

For the WAR tour, add the Korg SDD-3000, Furman Parametric EQ.

Seems, from looking at the Red Rocks video, that there might have been a yellow Boss pedal being used. It could have been a Boss OD-1. Couldn't have been a Boss OD-2 (As that wasn't first made until 1985). It also could have been a Boss SD-1.

2 memory man and a dunlop comp and a guyatone dist i think

The Guyatone Zoom distortions was 'rumoured' to have been used during the 'October' tour. I've not heard that confirmed from any official sources. And the rumours seem to place it there during the October tour only. That said, as it was red in color, it might have been that someone had mistaken the red MXR Dyna Comp as being the Guyatone Zoom.

OCTOBER ERA GEAR:
* per U2 Magazine. Vol 2. February 1982 *

U2 are a very hard-working band, having played some 217 shows in 11 countries in the last 12 months. They're always on the lookout for the old Vox AC30's with the original Rola G12 'Blue' loudspeakers still intact. The Edge plays a superb black Fender Strat, which, unusually these days, is complete with tremolo arm, as his main instrument, but also has a Gibson Explorer which is used on certain numbers and also serves as a spare. Both these are tuned a semitone down to E flat so as to suit the natural pitch of Bono's singing. The guitar is fed via a change-over switchbox to two Memory Man echo units, the output of each being fed into a separate Vox AC30 combo. The two echo units and the two Vox are set up to give different sounds, and by simply stamping on the switch, he can select either or both as required. The AC30's are stood down on the floor, tilted forward, and with a piece of carpet laid on the floor in front of the amps so as to minimise the throw of sound onto the stage. Each Vox is separately miked, one with a Shure SM58 the other with an AKG D1200 - the latter being due to availability rather than to any specific performance considerations.

The Edge also use Shure SM58 vocal mikes and a Yamaha CP70 electric grand piano on stage.

WAR ERA GEAR:

Per Musician magazine (1983) and U2 magazine (Vol 7 / May 1983)

The Edge uses a Fender Stratocaster or a Gibson Explorer through a vintage Vox AC30 amp with a Memory Man echo "which is a real budget echo, but it works really well; it's functional and uncomplicated." He likes "very heavy" strings, ranging from .011 or .012 gauge up to .056. "My Explorer isn't one of the vintage '58s, it's more like a '76, but it's great in that it has a nice top end without that extra raunch and distortion that a lot of players like in a Les Paul; it's like a compromise between a Les Paul and a Strat." He admits to occasionally using a Les Paul in the studio, as well as an Epiphone steel guitar he picked up at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. "It helps give an 'American' feel to "Surrender",' on the new album. The Vox amps are like the original Beatles amps, with the original box speakers -- little 12-inchers with a very gutsy middle sound." The Edge is partial to Roland's Chorus 120 amps, because of their "tough, clean sound."

Per "U2 by U2" (published in September of 2006):
... when it came to 1983's "War" album, The Edge wanted more direct sounds and backed off on the Echo. 'U2 by U2' book also mentions The Edge using a Fender Amp to get the tones on "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

During the War tour, Edge can be seen using a Vox AC30 and a Roland JC120. Another JC 120 was used for the piano.

Also, Edge began using the Korg SDD-3000 during the WAR tour. (per: Guitar Player / June 1985 article)

Guitar Player: Early in your career, you used an Electro-Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe for the echo effects. Is that still part of your setup?

The Edge: That's been put out to pasture at this stage. It was getting so old and battered that our stage manager was having to dismantle it every night to try to get it to work. It was on a life-support system, the poor thing, by the time we stopped using it. Now I've got two Korg SDD-3000 digital echoes. They have the same sort of features as the Electro-Harmonix, but with a digital clarity. At first, I couldn't get used to digital because it is so clean. There were all these frequencies that I hadn't heard for years coming out of my amplifier. And the definition of the repeats was so clear that it was off-putting. What was an atmospheric thing from the old analog suddenly became a very scientific, precise repeat. I never find myself using the far reaches of the Korg's echo potential; I tend to stay within the mid-area, between the parameters of about 50 and 400 milliseconds. I began using the Korg at the start of the War tour.

No.

Edge's early gear was simple but effective. Don't let the simplicity fool you.

He got a lot with a little. And each item complimented the other. It was Edge's imagination through that small amount of gear. It was a decent Explorer / Stratocaster into the mod-delay -- in this case, the analog EH DMM with vibrato (finding settings that made the guitar sing) and that through a classic Vox AC30.

Even today, those are the key components of The Edge's sound. His imagination. And his Guitar, well-set mod-delay and classic Vox / Fender amp.

Edge used the Vibrato NOT Chorus setting on the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. That is a common mistake that I've seen.

At some point (later Boy tour to October tour) Edge began using (2) Deluxe Memory Man.

The EH DMM is analog. This has a thicker sound than a Boss digital delay (or similar). Plus the DMM could overdrive the amp.

Amp-wise, you won't get the breakup / natural overdrive from a Pathfinder, Line 6... that you would a valve amp (Blues Jr, Vox AC15, Vox AC30...)

Breathe: What Overdrive pedal did you order?

One thing that many miss, TONE comes from your hands. How you play, how you strike the strings...

David Gilmour has fantastic tone. David Gilmour also has a huge rack. But I've seen Gilmour play acoustic and the tone is fantastic.

I can not stress enough just how important learning to play the instrument, learning to play clean and in time will have a greater effect on your tone than any piece of gear.

This is why that for anyone starting out...

Step I: I recommend a lot of playing of just a guitar through amp -- Record your playing and be honest with yourself. Work on what sounds wrong. It is NOT forgiving. But hearing the in that raw state will help.

Step II: Add a delay pedal. If your timing is off, the delay is NOT forgiving. But it will help you with your time. It could be frustrating at first but will pay off.

But really, a good Strat and LP or Strat and Explorer will get you a long way. Match that with an M13 and you get LOTS of bang for your buck. And you can do TONS of U2 from various periods with the M13. You can definitely do loads of U2:Three through Rattle and Hum (and really, beyond that). You can definitely nail the early stuff. And all of that through a decent valve amp. Fender Blues Jr is 525 for the Humboldt Blues Jr. The NOS Tweed is 580.00. AC15 is 600.00 and you can later upgrade speakers.

Concentrating on the core of decent guitar and amp are key. And the M13 or HD500 (same price) are a great next step and in the long run, are price effective too.

Just my .02

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :D I ordered (My dad did actually) a Behringer OD400 Ultimate Overdrive he did it without telling me....He heard me talking about how i needed a overdrive pedal so he ordered me one. If it were up to me i would have ordered a better quality one but....he does not know much about guitars. :lol: Whats your .02 on the Vox Valvotronix? I think its a pretty good amp for the price.....I want to get a AC30 and a M13 (That first) Next mouth i am getting a boss gt8 (if you know anything about the quality let me know) I found it for a cheap price for my b-day....so i thought i could use that until i get my M13.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :D I ordered (My dad did actually) a Behringer OD400 Ultimate Overdrive he did it without telling me....He heard me talking about how i needed a overdrive pedal so he ordered me one. If it were up to me i would have ordered a better quality one but....he does not know much about guitars. :lol: Whats your .02 on the Vox Valvotronix? I think its a pretty good amp for the price.....I want to get a AC30 and a M13 (That first) Next mouth i am getting a boss gt8 (if you know anything about the quality let me know) I found it for a cheap price for my b-day....so i thought i could use that until i get my M13.

Not a fan of the Valvetronix. I worked with a guitar player that had one. It had a number of issues.

Save the money and buy a VoxAC15CC with the blue in it, or the green and install a blue later. The one with the green are about $599.00, if memory serves.

AC30 will be more expensive. I think the AC15CC with blue (or later upgraded to blue) would work well and be a bit easier on the finances.
I don't know that much about the GT8. I think the Line 6 HD500 or the M13 (both are $499.00) are some of the better multi-effects units out there. Plus, the Line 6 stuff has effects updates you can download, from time to time.

I love playin BOY to WAR stuff, and havin' a Strat/LP + DMM and an AC4 is all you really need for that. I'd never let go of my DMM, it's such a great device...who cares if it's not digital and you won't get delay times 100%. It's so much fun to play with and get nice overdrive sounds.

The AC4 is all you really need for your home environment. AC15 or 30 really is a bit of a shame to have JUST at home cuz gigging them makes much more sense, as you'll never be able to really crank them up the way you should!
Try turning the AC30 up for 1/4 and watch the police raid your house. Haha. :)

Though no overdrive pedal is really needed, an old 80's SD-1 always comes handy. Have one and the overdrive really is unique compared to what you squeeze out of an amp.

I think the idea of experimenting with your guitar volume and tone knobs is important. Many seem to turn them all the way up and then think "Why don't I get a variety of tones"?

This is especially useful on guitars with separate volume knobs for the bridge and neck pickups. Want the neck pickup but it's a bit too dark? Go to the mid-position but dial the bridge back a bit. You get mostly the neck but some highs from the bridge. Works in reverse too.

The same can be said of your amplifiers. Experiment a bit. You will with patience find variety.

As we'd talked about Edge using volume to set the level lower and get overdrive with more, I was reminded of a clip with Johnny Marr. Johnny's played with The Smiths, The The, Modest Mouse, The Cribs, his own band Johnny Marr and the Healers... as well as being asked to guest on albums and tours with The Pretenders, Talking Heads and Bryan Ferry. In short, Johnny is a genius.

He talks a bit about getting variety of tones from his guitar in this clip below:

Johnny Marr - Fender Guitar - BBC Radio 4 - Today - YouTube

In related news... Look who I ran into at Guitar Center today. :D Johnny 'Freakin' Marr!

Me_JohnnyMarr-576x768.jpg

Edge_Orchestra said:
I think the idea of experimenting with your guitar volume and tone knobs is important. Many seem to turn them all the way up and then think "Why don't I get a variety of tones"?

This is especially useful on guitars with separate volume knobs for the bridge and neck pickups. Want the neck pickup but it's a bit too dark? Go to the mid-position but dial the bridge back a bit. You get mostly the neck but some highs from the bridge. Works in reverse too.

The same can be said of your amplifiers. Experiment a bit. You will with patience find variety.

As we'd talked about Edge using volume to set the level lower and get overdrive with more, I was reminded of a clip with Johnny Marr. Johnny's played with The Smiths, The The, Modest Mouse, The Cribs, his own band Johnny Marr and the Healers... as well as being asked to guest on albums and tours with The Pretenders, Talking Heads and Bryan Ferry. In short, Johnny is a genius.

He talks a bit about getting variety of tones from his guitar in this clip below:

Johnny Marr - Fender Guitar - BBC Radio 4 - Today - YouTube

In related news... Look who I ran into at Guitar Center today. :D Johnny 'Freakin' Marr!

Wow that's amazing!!! Glad to see you met him Jeff!!! He is one of my favorite guitarist I almost met him once but sadly he had just entered his car..... :( can't say I remember what song he did with modest mouse. Which song? :wave:

Wow that's amazing!!! Glad to see you met him Jeff!!! He is one of my favorite guitarist I almost met him once but sadly he had just entered his car..... :( can't say I remember what song he did with modest mouse. Which song? :wave:

It was very cool and Johnny Marry was very nice. Very distinctive guitarist. He's definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Which Modest Mouse song? Lots. He was on the whole last album. "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank".

He's working on his own album now and then will be working w/Modest Mouse again.

What was he shopping for at Guitar Center? Les Paul Jrs.

Edge_Orchestra said:
It was very cool and Johnny Marry was very nice. Very distinctive guitarist. He's definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Which Modest Mouse song? Lots. He was on the whole last album. "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank".

He's working on his own album now and then will be working w/Modest Mouse again.

What was he shopping for at Guitar Center? Les Paul Jrs.

I had no idea!!!!! :lol: I saw him leaving a restaurant in south beach a while back. But I was to afraid to go to him...and when I had the balls to do it it was to late. Same thing kind of happened to me when I saw the back of Edge in NY. I was to starstruck to run after Edge there was a lot of people in my way......:( I kick myself in the ass for that everyday :lol:

I see Johnny Marr nearly all the time, he lives by Brothers house in Manchester.

:up:

He's a cool guy. I've always heard he was happy to talk with fans. That was my experience. I love The Smiths but he was probably surprised/happy to have someone talk to him about his band (The Healers), Modest Mouse and The Cribs and not The Smiths /.when is he and Morrissey gonna reunite.

Back
Top Bottom