Edge's live delay... and other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrTheEdge1996

Babyface
I have a few questions about Edges effects rig during PopMart, if anyone can answer any of them (partly or fully)...

What did he use as his primary delay during PopMart, his TC-2290, SDD-3000, SDD-2000, or that AMS delay he has (or some other delay that I've missed out)?

Did the '747' tone consist of simply a WH-1->Wah->Fuzz Face->SDD-3000 or was there other elements to the sound?

What was the effect used after the chorus of ‘Last Night on Earth’ (the part where Bono sings ‘The last night on earth’ a couple of times)? Sounds like some sort of Wah but I’m not too sure...

Sorry if some of these questions have been asked before, just interested as to whether anyone can help me out!

What did he use as his primary delay during PopMart, his TC-2290, SDD-3000, SDD-2000, or that AMS delay he has (or some other delay that I've missed out)?

- TC and SDD 3000. Sometimes just the pre-amp from the SDD3K with the TC. Sometimes both delays. Like most things Edge - It is rarely ONE thing, it is a weave / combination of things. If memory serves, the AMS is used with shimmer and not as a regular delay

Did the '747' tone consist of simply a WH-1->Wah->Fuzz Face->SDD-3000 or was there other elements to the sound?

- More elements. There was another distortion. In the GW interview with Flood, he didn't recall which. But if you have a Line 6 HD or M13, experiment with the Fuzz Face and Tube drive.

Also, the most important part, wah pedal. Click it on. Barely push the heal down. This filters it slightly to back of some of the shrillness.

If you see Edge's pedals/Controller form that era, you see a Wah, Whammy, Fuzz Face on Edge's right side of his pedalboard/controller. All of those worked together as part of that tone. It's also possible that the Randall amps were employed in that tone.

The other key is the delay with multiple repeats. It regenerates on itself. That is key.

What was the effect used after the chorus of ‘Last Night on Earth’ (the part where Bono sings ‘The last night on earth’ a couple of times)? Sounds like some sort of Wah but I’m not too sure...

- Not sure what bit you mean there. I'm not hearing a wah there.

What gear are you using? You can get a convincing Last Night with a M13 and Whammy or HD500 and set whammy up in the HD. We did it when I worked as a "Dallas" for a U2 tribute. But I don't have the notebook with all the settings we used... but it can be done.

You can get a convincing Last Night with a M13 and Whammy or HD500 and set whammy up in the HD. We did it when I worked as a "Dallas" for a U2 tribute. But I don't have the notebook with all the settings we used... but it can be done.

Last Night On Earth has whammy in it? Where?

Last Night On Earth has whammy in it? Where?

LOL. See what happens when you post late?

What I mean is that you can get a good '747' sound with a M13 and Whammy. Or you could get it with an HD500 (as it has an expression pedal and you can set up a whammy in the HD)

And you can also get Last Night tones on the Line 6 stuff.

I used to tech for a tribute band. We did a show where the first part of the set was Pop stuff. For that, we programmed Mofo, Last Night, Gone... on the HD 500 and then went to our regular set-up for the rest of the set.

Back
Top Bottom