Edge's Les Paul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Edge has (had) at least two Les Paul Customs that were (Alpine) white, not yellow.

That said, the topcoat on many Gibson and Fender guitars yellows over time. So this is why The Edge's 1975 (w/gold knobs that was auctioned) and his remaining LP Custom (w/black knobs, used often for Zoo Station during the Vertigo tour) have/had taken on a 'yellowing cream' hue.

As for the pickups, LP's of that era usually had T-Tops in them. ALthough, I've heard rumour that one of the two LP Customs had DiMarzio's put in but that has not been confirmed; to the best of my knowledge.

Also keep in mind, stock or not, this doesn't mean that Dallas has not altered/rewound the pickups. As per evidence in the Vertigo era tour Guitar World magazine article, some of Edge's guitars have 'custom wound' pickups.

Best wishes to one and all.

have you noticed that little gold rim that go's around the open humbuckers? Is that build into the guitar or are they part of the humbuckers?

Shot at 2007-08-08

two theories

1 aren't those humbuckers gold plated? in which case what you're looking at on the outer edges is the light playing off the worn off parts? altho mine aren't that nice, my gold plated humbuckers do exhibit that type of light colored wearing around the edges..

and more likely, due to the uniformity of the way it looks in your picture, the fact that the hummies look reallly dark:

2. those are black humbuckers with the gold plated surround rings, as pictured on this site, about half way down:

gold surround mounting rings

hope that helps? (not an authority by any means!)

also, is there any way to turn the alpine white finish into the cremey color faster, instead of it narually occuring over many years? thats obviously what Egde did..

Nope they are gold plated - the pickups. That's funny but not true. The rings are after market additions. Many tribute Edge's on the U2 Recording Yahoo forum have done the same to there LP Customs.

could you rephrase that? you kinda confused me :wink:

Edge's LP Customs, like most Alpine White LP Customs... as the top coat ages... they turn creamy yellow-ish. It is a normal thing for most white guitars, certainly of a certain vintage that has that kind of top coat applied.

Fenders white finish from that era (1950'a through 1990's) do the same thing.

Gretsch finishes used a different topcoat that doesn't 'yellow' as much as Fender and Gibson finishes. It isn't the colour as much as the clearcoat/topcoating used.

Another example is Lake Placid Blue, a classic 1960's fender colour, tends to 'yellow' a bit and hence many 60's era Lake Placid Blue guitars look a bit more 'aqua' or green depending upon exposure to 'the elements'.

Back
Top Bottom