Edge's guitar h.r.c. New york

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agocont

The Fly
good morning to all, i have a curiosity. I'd like to see Edge's guitar picture signed like BONO 88' which is to new york hard rock cafè. Does someone can help me to advise a web page site or picture of this guitar attach here?

I remember reading an article about it in the early 90's but have never actually seen a picture of it! According to an interview with the Edge it was a black 79 Strat! The signature was done in red marker pen & so does not actually show to well on the black of the guitar!

I believe the hard rock never got the guitar!!! I think they got mad that Bono signed it and not edge and yes it was his original 79 strat! And from what I've heard Edge still uses his original 79! E_O will have to confirm i know the story is somewhere in these forums i think its under "Edge's blackie strat"

Here is the story!

Hi, I remember reading an interview with the Edge back in the late 90's where he mentiond the famed original black 70's Strat & he said that it was a 79.
He aslo said that he had quite a few replacements for the guitar now & that the original was actually destined to be given to the Hard Rock Cafe as they had asked him for a signed guitar.
On the night that Bono & the Edge were to go to the Hard Rock with the guitar the Edge came down with Flu & couldn't make it so Bono went on his own with the guitar! Edge had actually forgotten to sign it & when the Hard Rock management pointed out that it wasn't signed Bono grabbed a red marker pen from someone & signed it! To Bono's amazement the Hard Rock Cafe then seemed to be not happy that the guitar was signed by Bono & not its actual owner the Edge!!! In disgust at there attitude towards this Bono took the guitar back & said forget it then! Edge was joking that he now still had the guitar but that it had Bono's signature on it but luckely it was not very readable as red marker doesn't show up on black to well & that it was now fadeing.

The original Strat that we see in all the video's up until Rattle Hum is definately a post 76 Strat as it does have a serial number on the headstock & is also lacking the Comfort Countour decal from the ball end of the headstock which also dissapeared around 1976 when Fender moved the serial number from the neck plate to the headstock.

hi all, thanks for your interest to answerring my post; even i know this hard rock cafè story eheheh but i'd like to know if is there a picture of this guitar, i am big curious.....

The guitar is Edge's original 79 strat. The hard rock never got the guitar...and I'm pretty sure no one has a picture of it with Bono's signature because we did not see this guitar live until the vertigo tour so I'm sure the signature faded by then

I can only assume that Edge retired his 79 Strat before Dallas started working for him as I have never heard of it ever being mentioned by him.

Anyway you are talking about is this guitar retired by the edge from hard rock cafe'? Are you sure to know this information? Because on web it mentioned that the guitar is into new york h.r.c. and it is possible to be see it there today...... there aren't other informations on it, i don't know...

I don't actually know if the HRC ever actually got one of Edge's guitars! He's not known for parting with them! He apparentley still misses the 75 Les Paul Custom that he gave up for the Music Rising Auction.
I think the guitar you may be refering two is in fact Bono's black Fender Lead II which I beleive was given to HRC & is or was on display a few years ago.

There is mention on the Gear Shultz forum that Edge's late 70's Black Stratocaster was either given to The Hard Rock Cafe or the Rock and Roll Museum in Ohio? The poster couldn't remember which one it was! Strange how no pictures of it in either have surfaced on the net? Surley if it was there somone would have taken a picture of it & posted it on the net somewhere?

yes steve, even i think if it was there someone would have taken a picture, maybe i think the famous black strat there's no more into new york H.R.C. only the story of it exist today on the web...
the black strat that you can see in my avatar picture is an original 79' black strat, i have a serial of that famous strat, if today into H.R.C. of new york lost it, i can lead mine, but i am not the edge ihihihihi...... just jokeing...

I can only assume that Edge retired his 79 Strat before Dallas started working for him as I have never heard of it ever being mentioned by him.

Edge used his original "blackie" during the JT tour (when Dallas worked for him).

The one at the HRC might be a Lead II.

The Stratocaster that the RR Hall of Fame has is the Clapton Stratocaster that has the Rene Castro painted skeleton/snake.

Love_Town-Rattle_And_Hum-display-1.jpg

You can also see that the white pickguard, that was seen on the Clapton while Edge used the guitar during Love Town through the Zoo tours had later been replaced by a mauve-ish colour mirror pickguard.

Fen-Strat-Clapton-Pewter-1989-1.jpg

YankeeStat8-30-92-2.jpg

yeah, yeah i know this RR hall of fame picture, this is a curious guitar with scheletron ehehehe

The skeleton and snake was the 'logo' for the Love Town tour. Rene Castro had painted the Love Town backdrops and staging too... as well as a Yamaha acoustic for Bono.

As for the Hard Rock Cafe' guitar, I don't recall seeing pictures but I have heard that they had one.

Would it have been Edge's original "Blackie" as some seem to think? I find that doubtful.

The story I've heard/read somewhere is... that a guitar was to be signed by Bono and Edge. Edge went and the person at the door wouldn't let him in. He said: But I'm The Edge. He was supposed to be there for the event. But the doorman didn't believe him at first. So Edge then either didn't or refused to sign the guitar. Bono apparently signed it twice.

Update/Edit:
I checked the Hard Rock Cafe' site... You can see the memorabilia and sort by clothing, instruments, etc. I didn't see any Edge guitars.
http://memorabilia.hardrock.com/?type=instruments

Back
Top Bottom