Edge's gear in the 80s (especially late 80s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I know, i know, it's probably discussed before. But what's Edge's gear in the 80s, especially after JT? you know, the time when U2 became superstars and such.

I see bunch of pics depicting Edges gear setup in the early 80s, up to War era. basically 2 guitars, couple of MMs, and vox amps. but as soon as it enters UF tour and onward i see less and less concrete information. even less than his IE tour setup.

I just wonder this as they're hitting the road with JT 30th anniversary tour and I kinda want to revisit the 80s, just like they do. Also, I wanted to answer my long standing questions about how he got those tones in the 80s. sure I like Edge's 90s tone more but 80s was also nice. I wanna know about all of it. Amps, pedals/effects, and guitars. sure, you can also tell me about strings and picks.

Im also wondering how he's gonna replicate sounds off of these records on this anniversary tour. are they gonna shrink the gear?

If memory serves me right his rig at that time was a lot like mine. In the sense that he and his tech probably cobbled it more or less together by themselves as best as they could from what was available on the market at the time. For the next step they had to go to the Bob Bradshaws and Pete Cornishes of the world.

From what I've read his rig used to be the Boss SCC-700 switching system, which could control 7 pedals.
https://www.boss.info/us/community/boss_users_group/837/

There was also the TC-2290 which had its own TC0144 controller with MIDI capability via the 2290 and the option to put and control some effects in its effects loop as well.
2290 - Controllers

Korg SDD-3000 did not have any MIDI capabilities and he used what I think was some DIY switching contraption to give it some more preset capabilities and live controls.

So he had three controllers, DIY SDD3K controller, Boss SCC700 and TC0144 at his feet. Not the most elegant of solutions as it still leaves too much pedal tap dancing as you cannot change effects that are in separate switching systems at the same time. Which is probably why when his sounds got even more complex with Achtung Baby he sought out Bob Bradshaw. I have no idea what pedals he was using at that time but its probably not that much radically different from what was in his later Zoo TV rig. The TC controller probably had the MIDI rack units. Probably at least 2 2290's, 2 SDD3K's (you gotta have spares on the road, especially with vulnerable rack gear). Probably something for reverb as well. And the AMS DMX Delay Harmonizer which became his main shimmer unit until it got replaced by the Axe.

As for what he will use on this tour, it will probably be a wall of Axe-FX units. Metal bands have to have those walls of Marshall stacks, Edge won't rest until he has a wall of Axe-FX units. :wink:

Seriously though, I doubt he will downsize his rack as the Joshua Tree only is like 50 minutes of music at best, so most of the show will still be the same hits they play now. Unless they're actually going to play the same setlist they did back then in which case he really could use less gear. But I highly doubt that. I still think hits like One, Beautiful Day and Vertigo will be in the setlist. And now that he's comfortable with the Axe I doubt that he will go back and bring out some of those old gear relics of the 80's. That shit got retired for a reason. If Dweezil Zappa can play Frank Zappa's whole catalog with the Axe then Edge can do the same for just the Joshua Tree.

So I know he started with the Memory Man. By JT he has the Korgs and the 2290s. My confusion has always been, during the JT era, which of those delays were used for what?
I often see it written that the Korgs are the key to his delay sound but I thought it was the 2290 with its modulation that was more central to JT...
Anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Makes sense the SDD replacing the memory man. It has only limited presets, no MIDI capabilities. Set and forget it to a short slapback is all you basically need or the pre-UF songs. Use it for its preamp and the 2290 for the rest.

Although from what I gathered it was the main delay as well with the custom switcher during the UF tour.

but didn't he use SDD3000s for more "anthems" like Streets and Still Haven't Found? or at least that's what i've heard.

I remember he had MXR Pitch Transposers during the 80s. is that the only rack mount units he had in JT era aside from SDD's and TC2290s?

Also, I remember reading about Edge discussing this tour and he is saying that they are considering playing some B sides from JT/Rattle and Hum period. so.....who knows, they might really keep the theme of reliving late 80s U2 when it comes to setlist.

About Dweezil, he has myriads of pedals aside from Axe-Fx. somehow, too much effect is not enough for so many people. I'm not blaming, guitar effects are great.

Hmmm. The interwebs seem to confirm the TC was the delay in Streets. Which is really his signature delay sound. I'd love to know about the rest of the album.
But oddly it's always the sdd that seems to get the 'if you want to sound like Edge, you need one of these' reviews. Is that because of the preamp?

From Musician Magazine - 1987

U2 CAN PLAY

Bono sings and plays his Hohner and ProHarp harmonicas into a Shure SM 58 microphone. He plays his custom-made Fender Telecaster into a MESA/Boogie amp and also plays a Washburn acoustic.

Edge also has a Washburn acoustic in addition to a Fender Stratocaster, a Gibson Les Paul Custom and a Fender Telecaster. His onstage keyboard is a Yamaha CP 70B. His offstage set-up includes a Yamaha QX1, a Yamaha QX7 sequencer, a Yamaha DX7 and an E-Max Sampling Keyboard. Amps include a Vox AC30 and a MESA/Boogie. Effects include a t. c. 2290 digital delay, Yamaha REV7, SPX 90 and Korg digital delay. All of this is controlled with a Boss Sound Center Control and a Photon MIDI converter.

Adam Clayton's basses include three Fenders: a Precision, a Jazz, and one that's custom-made with a graphite neck. Adam also has a Zon bass with Bartolini pickups. It's all driven with a BGW amp into four Harbinger speakers and a Yamaha crossover, and sweetened with Boss SCC 700, Ibanez V 4000 and Yamaha SPX 90 multi-effects units, and an Ibanez DM1000 digital delay. For mobility Adam and Edge use Nady wireless systems.

Larry Mullen's Yamaha drum kit includes a 24-inch bass drum, 14-inch rack tom, 2 floor toms and a 14-inch piccolo snare. Add two Latin Percussion timbales, Rude and Paiste cymbals, and Pro-mark 5A sticks, and you have it.

I remember he had MXR Pitch Transposers during the 80s. is that the only rack mount units he had in JT era aside from SDD's and TC2290s?

You're forgetting the AMS harmonizer delay that he used for shimmer.

Also, I remember reading about Edge discussing this tour and he is saying that they are considering playing some B sides from JT/Rattle and Hum period. so.....who knows, they might really keep the theme of reliving late 80s U2 when it comes to setlist.

Hmm, to me that reads like Sweetest Thing at least will be in it. Potentially Silver & Gold. Possibly Spanish Eyes when they hit Spain. Other then that I don't expect much else. It would be nice to have some Rattle & Hum stuff as well. They still play Desire and AIWIY, so hopefully All Along the Watchtower again? The Lovetown version kicked ass. God Part II? Hawkmoon? Love Rescue Me? :drool:

They really could do a full 80's only main set, and then do some modern stuff for the encores.

About Dweezil, he has myriads of pedals aside from Axe-Fx. somehow,

Well, so does Edge usually. Even with the Axe.

too much effect is not enough for so many people. I'm not blaming, guitar effects are great.

With the exception of a few good fuzzes and the odd crazy Line6 noise you can really do almost everything with the Axe. Will it sound exactly like some the more exotic effects? Probably not, but then again, only those who are way too anal about the tone will notice. Dweezil and Edge probably fall into that category.

So now thanks to Edge_Orchestra we have some more names for Edge's rig.
- TC 2290
- Korg SDD3000
- AMS DMX 15-80S Digital Delay
- Yamaha SPX90 Reverberator, more of a multi-FX though, we had one in the FOH for a while at my previous job at a youth center.
- Yamaha REV7 Digital Reverbetor
- Photon MIDI Converter, does not appear to be a MIDI controller, but more a guitar synth, including with a MIDI pickup that you had to install on your guitar.

[youtube]bd9TTZeFaE8[/youtube]

[youtube]2gs-l_I_X7E[/youtube]

[youtube]jH3ZzjXHpYA[/youtube]

[youtube]E8n2jT2QbAM[/youtube]

All rack units probably controlled by the TC0144. All pedals probably controlled by the Boss SCC 700

[youtube]iotIHygsUio[/youtube]

No vids seem to exist for the TC0144

Keyboards and samplers

- Yamaha CP 70B (still seems to be his main piano)
- Yamaha QX1
- Yamaha QX7
- Yamaha DX7
- E-Max Sampling Keyboard

[youtube]LUxmewOGD6M[/youtube]

[youtube]6RUdXDr7Zos[/youtube]

[youtube]gnCv-pbZtmA[/youtube]

[youtube]nmp9yqhsjqg[/youtube]

[youtube]L-32bF_PNQ4[/youtube]

It's interesting to see that in basically four years time Edge went from a guy with a simple setup in 1983, a guitar into a Dynacomp into a Memory Man into his amp, into a massive gear slut in 1987. :D

I wonder if that was just the influence of Eno and Lanois, or something that was bound to happen as guitarists everywhere were building 19" racks higher then the Empire State Building.

well Brian Eno used yamaha DX7 pretty extensively in the 80s (just like any other pop producers/musicians did), so Edge using them doesn't surprise me; probably Eno made these sounds off of DX7 in the studio and Edge (or someone else) triggered sequences off of these sequencers during shows. very reasonable.

SO....most of Edge's rack gear in the 80s were for reverb/spacial effects and delay aside from pitch transposer? interesting. and 2 (or 3, if you include AMS delay/reverb for shimmer) for reverb? Or Edge used SPX90 for other things so i shouldn't assume that it was for reverb. (did Edge use reverse reverb within that SPX90? i remember that Kevin Shields loved that effect).

about the topic about the power of Axe-Fx, can that unit do all kinds of weird synth-sounding effects off of these weird pedals like Digitech Space Station? just wondering.

We don't really know what and how Edge used for which songs in those days. I assume that if there's currently some woosh from some modulation thingy in a JT song he probably got that sound from something back then as well. But how.....? I'm not even sure Edge even remembers. There are a lot of factors in this:
- It really is a long time ago. So was the War era, but his setup was so much simpler that its easier to figure out. In the end its Edge. This guy is anal about tone and if he thinks he has to include a rare rack unit in his setup just for a slight bit of analog sustain in one song he will do it.
- The 80's and 80's gear are not getting a lot of love from most musicians, it's the decade musicians seem to love to hate. It's like we know more of 60's fuzz faces then some 80's rack gear.
- It's hard to research these old tones. The internet and internet discussion groups are a great source to pool new information. Someone talks to Dallas, some guys film a tour of the Underworld, a lucky pic. And then there are the really good tribute Edges willing to talk shop. The more that gets talked about, the more our knowledge pool increases. This goes about everything in general. The more knowledge gets shared, the faster science advances. Only in movies are mad scientists more successful on their own. In the 80's and early 90's this didn't happen as there was no internet. Everybody was more on their own. As a result less knowledge was gathered and preserved off those days.
- Most tribute Edges seem on average more interested in the here and now and less in the past. In the sense that come a new album/tour all attention goes on playing the new songs and new renditions of the old songs. Are they still playing the Elevation, Vertigo and 360 renditions of the greatest hits or have they switched to the I+E versions? I'm assuming on average the latter.

As for the Axe FX, it does have weird synths and filter effect blocks. it can do an ungodly amount of things as you can combine, route, re-route and split your signal in so many ways it's not funny. Maybe you cannot create a certain sound with a single effect block as easily as with a pedal, you can combine enough effect blocks and tweak them to get the sound you want. If you have the patience for it. Which can be a pretty big if even for a lot of Axe users. If not it pays to check the Fractal forums.

sure 80s gear is unpopular, probably because 1) we all love analog (even synth enthusiasts are insane for analog synths) and 2) some of these digital gear are crap compared to digital gear we now have. Sure, Yamaha DX7 was pretty amazing in 80s standard (i think it was one of the first commercially available digital synths) but they only had 32 un-tweakable presets (unless you buy additional things like memory cards) which often sounded very corny. nowadays, even soft synths can do more than what DX7 can do. Of course people are not very into the gear in the 80s. similarly, i don't think people aren't that fond of digital pedals from the 90s. like Whammy 2 and XP series of pedals from Digitech. However, I see people showing some love for old digital rack preamps like Mesa Triaxis. i know that's not the huge following but that's something.

:wave:
So I know he started with the Memory Man. By JT he has the Korgs and the 2290s. My confusion has always been, during the JT era, which of those delays were used for what?
I often see it written that the Korgs are the key to his delay sound but I thought it was the 2290 with its modulation that was more central to JT...
Anyone know?

Your'e from New Zealand?!! wow, that is where Yoko Ono *thinks* she will go when the //next// Nuclear war hits...yikes! that must be a Very Beautiful place to spend a week or two to visit...never even been to Australia...but I met Anthony in Dublin in 1997,, :crack:and picked up the Auzzie ac'cent...ha! And, I wrote a *thesis* about travelling around a bouts// to Ayers rock and from Sidney (Bono, stop stealing boats in the harbor

) and not any cool Japanese waitresses when U2 tours there as well..w/ a honorary degree in LAW from Penn...ha ha ha, that's so much better than any old degree from Haavaard...right?

:applaud: way to go Down Under!

:sexywink: friends w/ Julian, ya know, mate!

:sad:

Anyone know?

He had the Korg SDD3000 by Red Rocks (1983)

:wave:

Your'e from New Zealand?!! wow, that is where Yoko Ono *thinks* she will go when the //next// Nuclear war hits...yikes! that must be a Very Beautiful place to spend a week or two to visit...never even been to Australia...but I met Anthony in Dublin in 1997,, :crack:and picked up the Auzzie ac'cent...ha! And, I wrote a *thesis* about travelling around a bouts// to Ayers rock and from Sidney (Bono, stop stealing boats in the harbor

) and not any cool Japanese waitresses when U2 tours there as well..w/ a honorary degree in LAW from Penn...ha ha ha, that's so much better than any old degree from Haavaard...right?

:applaud: way to go Down Under!

:sexywink: friends w/ Julian, ya know, mate!

:sad:
I enjoyed that. Thankyou ?

Re JT delay...

I've got the tc 2290 on my flashback x4. It sounds pretty bloody close to that quintessential JT delay sound to me.
I run it through a cranked Fender blues deville 212, which has a nice crunchy tone to it.
I've never used a korg but does it sound more JT than the 2290 (all other things, pick, guitar, amp, technique, being equal) ?

Considering all the variables you listed you're probably lucky to get any tone right even if you had the exact same gear.

There are two kinds of cover musicians. The ones who have to have the exact same gear and settings, and the ones who accept that they can't nail it down 100% so don't bother and instead focus on the feel of the song. An/or delivering a kick ass show. As long as you deliver just that one is not better then the other.

In the end that's all that matters. If you perform a kickass show people will compliment you on your performance and tone no matter if you had the 100% correct gear or not. Most people in the audience can't hear the difference anyway.

U2 Joshua Tree tour gear (If I remember correctly, the original source was either the tour book or the Rattle and Hum book):

ONSTAGE EQUIPMENT

Guitars:
Gibson Explorer
Gibson Les Paul (custom)
Fender Stratocaster (black)
Fender Stratocaster (sunburst)
Fender Telecaster (graphite)
Ibanex Modulus (graphite)
Danvel-Nelson Telecaster
Gibson 335
Squire Stratocaster
Squire Infinite Guitar
Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Telecaster Bass
Ibanez Musician Bass
Gibson Thunderbird Bass
Zon Legacy Bass
Yamaha FG 365 II Acoustic
Yamaha L20 A Acoustic
Gibson J160E Acoustic
Ibanez M-3421 V Acoustic

Strings:
Superwound
Rotosound
James Howe Industries

Amps:
Vox AC30 (2)
Mesa Boogie
Roland JC120
BGW 750C Power Amp
BGW 250D Power Amp
Park Amplifier
Fender Deluxe Reverb (combo)
Yamaha P2201 Power Amp
Yamaha P2050 Power Amp

Speaker Cabinets:
Harbinger 516 (4)

Drums:
Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Kit:
Yamaha Bass Drum BD824T
Yamaha 14": Piccolo Snare SD493
Yamaha Tom Tom TT814T
Yamaha Floor Tom FT916C (2)
Yamaha Floor Tom FT 918C
Ludwig 13" Piccolo Snare
Latin Percussion Tito Puente Timbales

Cymbals/Percussion:
Paiste 2002 14" Sound Edge Hi Hats
Paiste 3000 18" 'Rude' Crash/Ride (2)
Paiste 2002 18" Heavy Crash
Paiste 2002 18" Medium
Latin Percussion Cowbell
Latin Percussion Woodblock
Rhythm Tech Half Moon Tambourine (2)

Sticks:
Promark 5A ZX series

Furniture:
Yamaha Drum Stool (2)

Keyboards:
Yamaha CP70 Midi Piano
Yamaha DX7-1 (2)
Yamaha DX7-2-FDR2
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha RX11
Roland SBX 10
Oberheim OB8

Effects:
Yamaha SPX 90 (3)
Korg SDE 3000 (2)
Boss OD2 (2)
Memory Man Echo
Ibanez DM 1000
Ibanez VE 400
Brooks Infinite Sustain
Boss SCC 700
Boss SCC 700 C
ADA Digital Delay
Yamaha REV 7
Korg SDE 2000

Electronics:
Yamaha QX5 Sequencer (2)
Yamaha QX1 Sequencer
Yamaha QX7 Sequencer
Sycologic M16 Midi Patcher
TC Electronics TC 2290
AMS 1580S
Nady Transmitter/Receivers
Sony Transmitter/Receivers
Boss TU 12 Tuners
E Bow (2)
Infinite Guitar
Midi Patcher 360
Yamaha MCS2 Midi Controller

Pedals:
Moog Taurus Bass Pedals
Boss DD2
Boss FV 200
Boss DST
Korg DFS S/2
Vox Wah
Cry Baby Wah
Bass Turbo Overdrive
Ibanez C5 505
MXR Dyna Compressor
Poly Chorus
Boss DDS
Boss TOD 2
Boss FL1

Reeds:
Horner Blues Harp

Vocals:
Shure SM58 Microphone
Shure SM10 Microphone
Vega Samson Radio Microphone
GML 300 Headset Microphone

U2 Joshua Tree tour gear (If I remember correctly, the original source was either the tour book or the Rattle and Hum book):

ONSTAGE EQUIPMENT

Guitars:
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Gibson Les Paul (custom)
  • Fender Stratocaster (black)
  • Fender Stratocaster (sunburst)
  • Fender Telecaster (Used for The Unforgettable Fire)
  • Ibanez Modulus
  • Danvel-Nelson Telecaster
  • Gibson 335
  • Squire Stratocaster
  • Squire Infinite Guitar
  • Fender Jazz Bass
  • Fender Precision Bass
  • Fender Telecaster Bass
  • Ibanez Musician Bass
  • Gibson Thunderbird Bass
  • Zon Legacy Bass
  • Yamaha FG 365 II Acoustic
  • Yamaha L20 A Acoustic
  • Gibson J160E Acoustic
  • Ibanez M-3421 V Acoustic

Strings:
  • Superwound
  • Rotosound
  • James Howe Industries

Amps:
  • Vox AC30 (2)
  • Mesa Boogie
  • Roland JC120
  • BGW 750C Power Amp
  • BGW 250D Power Amp
  • Park Amplifier
  • Fender Deluxe Reverb (combo)
  • Yamaha P2201 Power Amp
  • Yamaha P2050 Power Amp

Speaker Cabinets:
  • Harbinger 516 (4)

Drums:
Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Kit:
  • Yamaha Bass Drum BD824T
  • Yamaha 14": Piccolo Snare SD493
  • Yamaha Tom Tom TT814T
  • Yamaha Floor Tom FT916C (2)
  • Yamaha Floor Tom FT 918C
  • Ludwig 13" Piccolo Snare
  • Latin Percussion Tito Puente Timbales

Cymbals/Percussion:
  • Paiste 2002 14" Sound Edge Hi Hats
  • Paiste 3000 18" 'Rude' Crash/Ride (2)
  • Paiste 2002 18" Heavy Crash
  • Paiste 2002 18" Medium
  • Latin Percussion Cowbell
  • Latin Percussion Woodblock
  • Rhythm Tech Half Moon Tambourine (2)

Sticks:
  • Promark 5A ZX series

Furniture:
  • Yamaha Drum Stool (2)

Keyboards:
  • Yamaha CP70 Midi Piano
  • Yamaha DX7-1 (2)
  • Yamaha DX7-2-FDR2
  • Yamaha RX5
  • Yamaha RX11
  • Roland SBX 10
  • Oberheim OB8

Effects:
  • Yamaha SPX 90 (3)
  • Korg SDE 3000 (2)
  • Boss OD2 (2)
  • Memory Man Echo
  • Ibanez DM 1000
  • Ibanez VE 400
  • Brooks Infinite Sustain
  • Boss SCC 700
  • Boss SCC 700 C
  • ADA Digital Delay
  • Yamaha REV 7
  • Korg SDE 2000

Electronics:
  • Yamaha QX5 Sequencer (2)
  • Yamaha QX1 Sequencer
  • Yamaha QX7 Sequencer
  • Sycologic M16 Midi Patcher
  • TC Electronics TC 2290
  • AMS 1580S
  • Nady Transmitter/Receivers
  • Sony Transmitter/Receivers
  • Boss TU 12 Tuners
  • E Bow (2)
  • Infinite Guitar
  • Midi Patcher 360
  • Yamaha MCS2 Midi Controller

Pedals:
  • Moog Taurus Bass Pedals
  • Boss DD2
  • Boss FV 200
  • Boss DST
  • Korg DFS S/2
  • Vox Wah
  • Cry Baby Wah
  • Bass Turbo Overdrive
  • Ibanez C5 505
  • MXR Dyna Compressor
  • Poly Chorus
  • Boss DDS
  • Boss TOD 2
  • Boss FL1

Reeds:
  • Horner Blues Harp

Vocals:
  • Shure SM58 Microphone
  • Shure SM10 Microphone
  • Vega Samson Radio Microphone
  • GML 300 Headset Microphone

I remember buying the Rattle And Hum book in a charity shop a few years ago and just laughing in disbelief that the list was even included. Really cool little extra and amazing that they listed every last piece of gear the band used. I'd love if they did that for every tour, god knows how long the list is these days.

Emax OMI universe of sound samples/patches used

Bad Kalimba
With or without you Carillions
Streets Vox Organ patch 5 plus Solina strings

Edge also went from his usual 70’s Strats plus the 60’s tobacco to using the Danvel Nelson S-type.

That was as he felt Strats had weak bridge pickups. He’d tried the various replacement we’ve read about (Duncan 1/4 pound...)

This is the all black Strat-like guitar seen on Streets in Rattle and Hum.

By Love Town, he went to the Clapton Strats with Gold Lace Sensors.

Clapton’s even got used on some songs normally played on Gibson’s like I Will Follow and Desire.

I’ve heard that ultimately they didn’t like the tone of the Clapton’s. Other than Zoo-era shows being used on The Fly and Desire... they’ve not been used again.

Pewter Clapton with the painting is the Love Town skeleton/snake is in the R&R HOF. Edge gifted the red one to Dallas. Uncertain of the whereabouts of the yellow one.

IMG_1830.JPG

He may not have liked the Claptons much after, but he obviously did like them a lot during Lovetown. And from what I hear on the bootlegs they sounded just fine.

Back
Top Bottom