Edge's effects setup/changeovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pistol Pete

Babyface
How does edge control all his effects.

I noticed from the live shows that he has his "twin tower" rack cabinet with a lot of rack units such as the korg sdd-3000 and then he has pedals on the top such as boss od-1 and lovetones etc.

Are all the different sounds programmed and then controlled from floor pedals?

Also how many amps does he use on the stage?

I imagine the amps are miked.

I only have a basic knowledge of all this stuff so would appreciate if someone would clarify a few of these questions.

Thanks.

the amps are mic'ed as far as i know yes. any band playing a venue bigger than a small pub/club/whatever will mic up the amps.

I don't know too much about the rack effects though I'm afraid. I would have thought it's controlled by foot pedals though, yeah.

Amp: There are 7 on stage. The 5 next to his rack and two behind the rack. If you count the POD Pro runnin to the house as an amp, then that is 8.

His set up is controlled by a Skrydstrup system. With it, Edge can control all his midi rack devices, TC 2290's, PDO Pro's, A3's etc.

He can also remotly turn on and off all of his pedal effects, TS9, Sobbat, Sex Drive, Big Muff, etc.

He can also select amps and turn his AMS or Eventide unts for shimmer.

The only effect he cannot control are the SDD3000 which are not midi controlled.

At the front of the stage he has his Whammy pedal, Wha, Rab Fuzz (For Elevation) and tuner.

Finally from the initial question, he is not using the OD1 on this tour. Not sure what he is using for UEOTW, poss a preset from his custom Line 6 Distortion modeler.

^ Edge has like 3 TC 2290s, 3 A3s, a couple PODs, etc . . but how many controllers does the Skrydstrup have? i'm guessing that with the multiple rack devices, each bank on the Skrydstrup only controlls the ones that it needs. is that right?

4 TC2290, 2A3's, 2 POD Pro's.

As for the controller, it all depends on how many loops you need, ie how many things you want to control.

The Control footboard has buttons where Edge can turn off or on any effect he has...all of them. There are also buttons that call up presets for the song. A patch for Pride will call up one of the SDD3000's with the right delay time, a TC2290 with the corrct 2nd delay time, the FET pedal and his main anthem AC30.

Is that what you are asking?

^ yeah, thats it :yes: i didn't think that the midi contoller had 4 buttons for the 4 TCs all at one time, 2 buttons for the A3s all at one time, etc. . .

Cheers guys,

I must say that it's unbelievable the amount of gear he uses. He must have the most complex set up of all time? Would there be any well known guitar players who would even come close to this?

edges setup is the most complex used by any guitarist. few use beyond the stomp pedals so his setup is quite amazing, and the fact he never goes for something wrong

when my band played the Whisky (a music club down here in Los Angeles) for the first time last month, i had this complex pedal board set up, and the most any other guitarist had was 1 stompbox :lol: .

TheEdge U2JT said:
Amp: There are 7 on stage. The 5 next to his rack and two behind the rack. If you count the POD Pro runnin to the house as an amp, then that is 8.

His set up is controlled by a Skrydstrup system. With it, Edge can control all his midi rack devices, TC 2290's, PDO Pro's, A3's etc.

He can also remotly turn on and off all of his pedal effects, TS9, Sobbat, Sex Drive, Big Muff, etc.

He can also select amps and turn his AMS or Eventide unts for shimmer.

The only effect he cannot control are the SDD3000 which are not midi controlled.

At the front of the stage he has his Whammy pedal, Wha, Rab Fuzz (For Elevation) and tuner.

Finally from the initial question, he is not using the OD1 on this tour. Not sure what he is using for UEOTW, poss a preset from his custom Line 6 Distortion modeler.

Doesn't he use a volume pedal as well?

Ok, First you connect all of your effects (pedals and racks) to a machine called a looping system, then you connect the looping system to a machine that is usually put on the floor and used by your foot in this case the manafacture is skrydstrup. You press a button by using your footand it will play that effect....:wink:

Back
Top Bottom