Edge's 1975 Les Paul Custom...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Here's the interesting thing... there were TWO Les Paul Customs. One had black knobs and one had gold. The one with gold was auctioned.

Could they have popped gold knobs on the one that had black? Maybe but I've compared my pictures that I took last year, when it was on display at guitar center, with tour pictures so it DOES appear that they one with gold knobs to begin with -the 1975 - was the one that was auctioned.

Here's the rub. That travelling guitar display was at the Hollywood store this weekend. The two guitars of Clapton's and Stevie Rah Vaughn's Strat were there but NOT Edge's Les Paul.

Picasa Web Albums - U2Miracle.com - Fotos de U2 e...

Perhaps EDGE bid on and won his own guitar. Perhaps he loaned it to Guitar Center for the travelling guitar show last year. Perhaps he has it back now? Perhaps THAT is the white LP in the background of the photo that was posted of Edge playing the MR Les Paul? Perhaps.

It is not so much that he had two... it 'appear' that he either bought the auctioned guitar or he swapped out the black knobs on the 1973 LP Custom and put gold kn obs on it... Or perhaps purchased another with gold knobs of a similar 1975 era.

Oh, ok. I thought he had two at at least one time. I was very worried if he wasn't going to bring out the cream custom this tour because he had sold it. So all the disappointment is gone now.:)

Oh, ok. I thought he had two at at least one time. I was very worried if he wasn't going to bring out the cream custom this tour because he had sold it. So all the disappointment is gone now.:)

Edge did have two white Les Paul Customs but of different vintage and there was the difference in the colour and style of knobs as previously mentioned.

Just wondering if he won his own guitar in auction and then allowed Guitar Center to tour it with others that they bought in the past... thus explaing WHY it was not with the two Clapton guitars and the SRV guitar at the display in Hollywood this past weekend and why it SEEMS to be back on stage with The Edge.

Time will tell...

I thought that was common knowledge? The Edge has 2 of every guitar.

The Alpine White LP's that have aged to a yellow have Letter Box size numbers on the neck. A gold bg with a black text of 1 and 2 etc...

I thought that was common knowledge? The Edge has 2 of every guitar.

The Alpine White LP's that have aged to a yellow have Letter Box size numbers on the neck. A gold bg with a black text of 1 and 2 etc...

The one auctioned had a 2. That one was the 1975 with the gold knobs.

That said, I remember seeing a pic showing the back of the one with black knobs and that one also had a 2.

Picture below are of the auctioned guitar:
5-31-2008-12.jpg

5-31-2008-14.jpg

5-31-2008-16.jpg

6-1-2008-10.jpg

6-1-2008-17.jpg

6-1-2008-16.jpg

The one auctioned had a 2. That one was the 1975 with the gold knobs.

That said, I remember seeing a pic showing the back of the one with black knobs and that one also had a 2.

Picture below are of the auctioned guitar:
5-31-2008-12.jpg

5-31-2008-14.jpg

5-31-2008-16.jpg

6-1-2008-10.jpg

6-1-2008-17.jpg

6-1-2008-16.jpg

Now I bet that is a great playing guitar as well. Anyway, so you said he has two. They are cosmetically different though, right? Sorry, I'm a bit confused right now.:lol:

Yes The Edge has x2 of every guitar he owns. The black knobs are Top Hats? Why that is labelled as #2 again I have NFI? Maybe a knob change to keep the vintage top hats? I have seen #1 though somewhere on the net before.

The one above is definitely the better one though, it just says "The Edge was Here".

And I love those gold pick-up surrounds, wish I could get a set.

The one he's using on this tour definitely has the 2 on the back, I've seen it in a couple videos, I think Unknown Caller.

The one he's using on this tour definitely has the 2 on the back, I've seen it in a couple videos, I think Unknown Caller.

I noticed that too.... but I've been comparing pictures... the one he played last night does 'seem' to have some different nicks in it then the one that Guitar Center had displayed... I will have to check some more photos

99.9% sure. It elsewhere on the net also. His already modified the pick-up covers etc, why not the pick-ups them selves? Theres a close up somewhere on the net and it has the trademark DiMarzio design.

But again there is more then one LP custom.

Edit: I may be wrong though heres a close up on the MR donation LP custom.

These are the pick-up surrounds.

I was aware of the gold pickup rings on both LP Customs.

Did you see the pictures I posted from last year when the guitar was at Guitar Center? I was there, nose up against the glass of that case.

On the p'ups, there was a T. Them there is T-Tops. Which were the stock Gibson humbucker pickup at the time.

99.9% sure. It elsewhere on the net also. His already modified the pick-up covers etc, why not the pick-ups them selves? Theres a close up somewhere on the net and it has the trademark DiMarzio design.

But again there is more then one LP custom.

Edit: I may be wrong though heres a close up on the MR donation LP custom.

These are the pick-up surrounds.

Dimarzios were put in what I believe was a '75 LP custom. Isn't those pictures the 1972? At any rate, he was using a LP custom with dimarzio for some of the elevation tour after his other LP custom (The 1972 I think) had a broken neck. Here's a pic, note the black knobs and no pickup rings:

I think this site says something about it: Achtung Sound - A Tribute to The Edge

Dimarzios were put in what I believe was a '75 LP custom. Isn't those pictures the 1972? At any rate, he was using a LP custom with dimarzio for some of the elevation tour after his other LP custom (The 1972 I think) had a broken neck. Here's a pic, note the black knobs and no pickup rings:

I think this site says something about it: Achtung Sound - A Tribute to The Edge

The one that was auctioned was a 1975. I took picturs of and read the T on the pickups... which confirms to me that they are indeed stock T-tops (standard issue humbucker from Gibson at that time) and not Dimarzio's.

The one with black knobs... Possible it's a 1972 - but I've always heard 1973.

As for the one with the black knobs being bought because the one with gold knobs had a broken neck, I've never heard that story before. And I didn't see any evidence of the neck ever being broken from all of the pictures that I took when the guitar was on display at Guitar Center last year.

6-1-2008-03.jpg

6-1-2008-15.jpg

6-1-2008-15.jpg

6-1-2008-16.jpg

6-1-2008-26.jpg

6-1-2008-04.jpg

6-1-2008-02.jpg

5-31-2008-04.jpg

As for the site that you noted, it seems to have some erroneous information. It also seems that some of it was copied directly from two other sites I've seen - word for word.

Hmm....perhaps the LP Edge is using in the picture I posted is an entirely different LP...it does lack the gold pickup rings..:hmm:

Hmm....perhaps the LP Edge is using in the picture I posted is an entirely different LP...it does lack the gold pickup rings..:hmm:

I don't think that anyone has said that they are one in the same. (The picture below and the auctioned LP Custom)

custom753.jpg

The one pictured above is the from 1972 or 1973. The auctioned LP Custom was a 1975.

What Edge's is playing on this tour looks alot like the auctioned 1975. But I do think after more views of pictures from Barcelona, that the LP Custom he's using now is a replacement and not the auctioned guitar. The one he's using now seems more 'yellowed' and it seems to have some different chips in the finish than the auctioned guitar. But I would like to see more pictures from the new tour to try to be more certain.

Ah, I see now :hmm: Do you think though that the 1972 or 1973 LP without the pickup rings could have DiMarzios in it though?

After a bit more investigating. .. The verdict is in. It is the same 1975 Les Paul Custom.

I found a picture from Dublin. You can see a big mark on the underneath side of the guitar near the input jack. The same mark is on the pictures I took at Guitar Center.

GC Picture:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/...Exhibit/The Edge - LP Custom/5-31-2008-15.jpg

Dublin pic: While the pic itself may be a bit blurry you can still see the gouge in the bottom near the jack. Same gouge. Same thickness. Same angle.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/... Guitar Exhibit/The Edge - LP Custom/44-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom