Edge - white Strat - NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Picture from Electric Lady Studios shows what appears to be a 1975-1980-ish white Stratocaster.

URL=http://s883.photobucket.com/user/remgreen1/media/image_zpsebb7ad78.jpg.html]
image_zpsebb7ad78.jpg
[/URL]

Sure about that?

This guitar has the 70's / headstock, black pick-ups and what appears to be an aged Alpine white finish (similar to that of his LP Customs).

The Love Town guitar was graffiti yellow (actual name of the finish), plus the stickers he had on it, white lace sensor pickups and smaller headstock.

It seems to be a 1976-79 Stratocaster. Large headstock, yellowish white finish, black 3 layer pickguard, black knobs and black pickup covers. Looks so late 70's :) They were made with both rosewood and maple board. Because this black color change transition was slow, it could be more like 1978-79. First there were more black pickguards with white knobs and covers. Then black pickguards and black knobs and covers got more usual.

I have two 1979 Strats in that same color (yellowish white finnish, black 3 layer pickguard, black knobs and black pickup covers). Very heavy but great sounding guitars. I used to have brass saddles in one of them and the sustain was endless :) There's something very brutal (in a good way) in those guitars. Very heavy ash body, very limited body contours (hardly any contour at all) thick poly urethane finish (underneath is white, which gets nicely visible when the upper yellow gets worn in use). I just love those 70's Strats :love:

Edit: Actually, yes, it could also be 1975 or 80 but my guess is 79, because I've seen so many 1979s in that particular color.

Actually, It could be earlier than 1979 as well. I did a little research and it seems that many Strats were made in that color combination in 1977 and 78 too. But not so many in 76. Why is this important? Well, because for example 1976 Strats are very different from 1979s. Although the specs were practically the same, at least all the 1979 Strats I've played have totally different feel compared to a 1976 Strat.

That first picture is pretty clearly edited for colorization in some respect. The contrasts are hiked up a ton.

The second pic is more natural coloring and leads me to believe that it isn't an aged white, per se, but more of a yellow/blond, which I think was alot more common back then, no? Look at it's color compared to the Hummingbird beside it. I don't think that is an aged white acoustic, that's for sure. It's yellow or blond or whatever that color is called in those guitars.

I don't know definitively, of course, but it just doesn't look like it would have ever been white, imo. Then again neither does an aged LP, so.. lol!

Sure about that?

This guitar has the 70's / headstock, black pick-ups and what appears to be an aged Alpine white finish (similar to that of his LP Customs).

The Love Town guitar was graffiti yellow (actual name of the finish), plus the stickers he had on it, white lace sensor pickups and smaller headstock.

http://s211.photobucket.com/user/anstratdubh1979/media/Edge-EL-Aug-30-2013-2_zps4a10d456.jpg.html

Yes. You are right... Maybe he wants to recreate that guitar with a 70's

gvox, you are right. I don't think I've ever seen a snow white 1979. Mine too are yellow, although I call them yellowish white. But that's because they are not cream and also because Fender had an other yellow color too back then. I think it was called "monaco yellow". But the undercoats in mine are snow white. So, if someone would rub off the upper layer, they would end up being white.

But anyway, that's a cool color :) When I got my first 1979, which was pretty worn already, I really first thought that mine had naturally yellowed from white.

Back
Top Bottom