Edge w/red finish Fender Kingman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Played that one during the Sweetest thing in Amsterdam. Quite a quirky guitar to see.

This guit. seems to be a staple for Sweetest Thing. So odd to see Edge with guitars with stickers. Well except for that "support local musicians" thing

I actually don't like how Kingman sounds like in U2 concert (i feel like Kingman appeared couple of times, right?) 'cause it sounds so plinky.

Well, if Edge is trying to reduce amt. of vintage guitar brought to tour, then i guess using Taylor and Fender kingsman instead of vintage Gibson makes sense, i guess. Plus he can give those away eventually just because he can.

He has the Gibsons on tour. There's a picture in his hotel room with SJ200, i think he likes the guitar but he has to play the fender's one because their contract with them.

He has the Gibsons on tour. There's a picture in his hotel room with SJ200, i think he likes the guitar but he has to play the fender's one because their contract with them.

what I meant is that Edge could be trying to reduce amount of vintages actually used on stage. I feel like for recording and stuff, sure, use anything.

But as I said, I kinda hate how those Fender sounds. plinky and thin. anyway I think he might have a contract but loose one. it's not like he's forced to use Fender-related brand all the time. He's using LP and Explorer and all that.

(as I said , i kinda expected him to go totally Fender, but).

Last edited:
There are things like acoustic guitars??? :huh:

Error! Error! Does not compute!

there are things like electric acoustic guitar?

Better, i can just put it thru Axe-Fx and fuzz pedals and all that , totally make it electric.

(side note, didn't Martin make weird acoustic-electric hybrid which had acoustic body but electric pups? like one Kurt Cobain used in unplugged session?)

I don't think that it has anything to do with reducing vintage guitars.

Keep in mind that the Gibson J200's Edge had been playing the past 2 tours were not vintage. They were all from 2004/2005

As a member of the Fender Board of Directors. He's helping to sell their 'wares'.

Did he used Pete Townsend model for the Gibson Acoustic in 360 tour and such?

Townshend and non-Townshend. All from 2004/2005 Townshend plus I think one of the non-Townshend were from 2008/2009.

Before that (Elevation and Popmart) it was Taylor.

He's got a late 50's J200. But that doesn't go on the road.

So while he has had a habit of using vintage electric guitars... that hasn't quite been the case with acoustic guitars over the years.

I want to see the Les Paul Jr. that was in... was it the Joey Ramone video or some promo...

I thought for sure that would make the tour. But then again, video's don't dictate the actual guitar used.

Examples? He had Bono's Country Club for Magnificent. Bono's Chet Atkins for Night And Day, the white Telecaster for Walk On, Les Paul for "...Boots".

as much as people complain about static setlist, I actually complain about static guitar choices. I mean, come on, mix it up, man! I've heard that Joe Perry doesn't have fixed guitars for certain songs unless songs have non-standard tunings.

^^ To be fair I feel like he's used 10 different Strats this tour haha

I want to see the Les Paul Jr. that was in... was it the Joey Ramone video or some promo...

I thought for sure that would make the tour. But then again, video's don't dictate the actual guitar used.

Examples? He had Bono's Country Club for Magnificent. Bono's Chet Atkins for Night And Day, the white Telecaster for Walk On, Les Paul for "...Boots".

One that comes to mind is Pride, I don't even know what guitar he was using in that video. Was it a White Falcon?

Last edited:
One that comes to mind is Pride, I don't even know what guitar he was using in that video. Was it a White Falcon?

I remember he had white falcon in that video. i know, it's weird.

I've seen Edge used white (possibly silver like one he used AIDS day) one in Spanish Eye performance at Barcelona. Yeah, Edge is surely using lots of strats. I.....kinda doubt that they're that much different in terms of terms.

No Les Paul Jr like he played at the Apple Event. No Duo Jet like he played on Jimmy Fallon (rooftop)

I have been on the hunt for a Les Paul Jr for a while...

No Les Paul Jr like he played at the Apple Event. No Duo Jet like he played on Jimmy Fallon (rooftop)

I have been on the hunt for a Les Paul Jr for a while...

I've wanted Power Jet (in either normal black or Firebird red) but kinda realized that they'll be too much like my cheap strat so tone could be kinda redundant.

I know those P90s sounds so sweet. If those Jr.s were still sold for beginners, I'll buy those without even thinking about it

I've wanted Power Jet (in either normal black or Firebird red) but kinda realized that they'll be too much like my cheap strat so tone could be kinda redundant.

I know those P90s sounds so sweet. If those Jr.s were still sold for beginners, I'll buy those without even thinking about it

A Power Jet with TVJ's would NOT sound like a strat. Even my cheapy Gretschbusters don't sound anything like my (nice) strat.

Last edited:
Ok what I wanted to say was it'll be another jangly end of sounds that I'm gonna have. i should probably choose power jet or something with more output.

I don't have any pics but if you watch last batch of IE tour footages, Edge uses another Kingman in sunburst finish instead of red one. Like OL in Paris.

Sorry Edge, but for me acoustic guitars with Strat type headstocks just look stupid! :D

Notice Edge was using Collings acoustics on the TV shows for the SOI album which are pretty high end guitars... about double the price of this Fender. I'll be interest to hear a top quality recording of the guitar before I judge it :hmm:

Sorry Edge, but for me acoustic guitars with Strat type headstocks just look stupid! :D

Notice Edge was using Collings acoustics on the TV shows for the SOI album which are pretty high end guitars... about double the price of this Fender. I'll be interest to hear a top quality recording of the guitar before I judge it :hmm:

Yeah I wonder why he didn't go for Collings. it is true that Edge is affiliated with Fender one way or another, but still.

Fender acoustic use was all business. Don't read too much into it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I try not to, but it's interesting that they probably have to work hard to make that thing sound good (i've seen Edge really adjusting something that is probably taped-up internal pups or microphone when Bono talking about OL in Paris)

Back
Top Bottom