Edge using a Line 6 M9?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgeu2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond th
I was watching the Paris show on HBO this afternoon and I noticed what looks to be a Line 6 M9 beside a DM4 on top of the Yamaha CP70. Any idea if that is even a M9 and what it could be used on? I'm really just curious for whatever reason. I haven't really followed this tour or kept up with Edge's gear.

Hopefully the pics I attached are decent enough for everyone to see. I would upload to somewhere like photo bucket but I'm too lazy so I just attached them. :lol:

Attachments

• 2015-12-09 01.22.22.jpg
    2015-12-09 01.22.22.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 2015-12-09 01.22.40.jpg
    2015-12-09 01.22.40.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_2015-12-09-01-18-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-09-01-18-43.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 15
Not very on topic here, but I missed that weird ass avatar of yours

It's kinda hard to guess what those pedals do as long as we don't know anything about signal chain of that keyboard.

That's what I was thinking. Not sure why the DM4 though for piano. Hmm.

My guess would be he's using a Boost Comp for the piano. I've often noticed in live recordings of RBW that his piano tone is boosted of slightly overdriven. He could also be using an EQ or something similar from the M9

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I dont think he was usin dist models on the M9 having the DM4 connected. The only effect he could be using inM9 are delay, reverb, and shimmer...

I like using a dirt pedal on my piano. Makes for an interesting sound. I've got a velcro patch on my piano with a Big Muff and Small Stone clone plus an Echo Park. Of course having an M9 would be even better. There's only so much pedals you can put on a keyboard and the M9 would cover even more sounds.

As for the DM4, I wonder why that's on there as the M9 can do all of its sounds as well. As Edge doesn't use a distorted piano sound maybe he uses the Boost Comp setting? Which the M9 can do too, but then again maybe he already uses three stacked soundsettings on the M9 at once already.

Hi it's not an m9 it's the korg sdd3000 pedal next to the dm4....

yeah....kinda looks like one.

btw, I experimented with some keyboard on Garageband recently and yeah, actually keyboard with some distortion/gain is actually pretty good-sounding. I never expected this.

RE keys

I think Edge uses his effects in parallel and what we hear is a mix of wet/dry from FOH...

20151220_003909_zpszduoaotf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Actually turns out it is an M9 as you can see in this pic I took from my TV. It's a little better quality and if you can manage to zoom in you can see the little knobs found on the M9 and M13 modelers. Just posting to confirm that it is an M9.

i think m9 allow to stack delay so possibly he's using to do some mod/spacial effect (meaning adding some chorus/delay/reverb) to the signal. He's added effects to keyboard for a while (i hear tons of weirdly wobbly keyboard on Popmart).

Popmart had him using MIDI controller keyboard though. Not his old trusty piano as in the pictures above. So you know there had to be at least one MIDI controllable keyboard module down below and with MIDI you can even control multiple units. So anything was possible.

RE Popmart

Edge (Des Broadbery) had a Yamaha Dx7 a Yamaha tx81z sound module plus and Akai s1100 sampler racked up and maybe an E-mu orbit as this was used for Mofo synth bass. Effects were via a Yamaha spx 90 Korg A3 and a Korg sdd2000.

oh wait so current keyboard for Edge is basically electric piano? I assumed that that yamaha keyboard is what he's been using for last 30 years. well i was wrong.

Yamaha CP70 stage piano... It was midi'd up to the DX7 on the JT tour for songs like MLK.
It was Zoo TV onwards that it became a bit more funky. It's well known that Des Broadbery ran the Keyboards for U2 for about 12 years in underworld. There was an article in a music magazine in the 90s showing his rig during the Zoo TV tour. Edges controller keyboard would have more than likley been midi'd to the Akai s1100 during Zoo and Popmart tours...The Akai was used for Larrys click track also.... Edges sequencer pedals would have been linked to this rig during Zoo/Popmart tours. Take a listen to the Popmart rehearsals on YouTube and you will hear Jo oheirhly talking to Des and referencing the Akai. I'm pretty sure that Terry Lawless would either be using Mainstage or a Muse Receptor in his current rig...

Back
Top Bottom