Edge the simple guitarist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge may not be Jimmy page(i love zeplin) but he has his own style. the best example is the song called BAD. id like edge to play some acoustic on the next record(hands that build america is acoustic but its all strumming) some fast finger pluckings would sound good.discotheque is a kick ass edge song.

The Edge is my favorite guitarist...

The Edge is my favorite guitarist and if not for the Edge I would not have fallen in love with the guitar... with that said, I don't think he's that good technically. Defintely creative though and respected for his tone. He might have improved over time (c'mon, he's played professionally for over 20+ years), his "skills" still pale in terms of today's virtuosos or even the Brit guitar giants. He's even touted a philosophy that emphasizes not practicing (in an interview a while back). That kind of philosophy can't be conducive to improved skill... LOL.

But that makes the Edge, the Edge for better or for worse...

Here's some interesting stuff that Billy Corgan wrote concerning guitar playing and it has snippet about the Edge....

Guitar playing, in and of itself, does not mean a whole heck of a lot. But guitar playing with in the context of great music and great songs is a big deal. If you look at the guitarists who are most noted for their playing ability, you will find that their reputations are inextricably tied to the great songs they have written, or at least reinterpreted in their own unique ways. We appreciate the guitar-playing skills of Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and others within the context of their songs. The downfall of the Yngwie Malmsteen school of guitar playing, which focuses almost solely on technical proficiency, has occurred because ultimately, no one really gives two shits about guitar playing in and of itself, except maybe other guitar players. These days, there are three-chord punk bands enjoying huge popularity, and no one can tell me that their style of playing--which doesn't even involve guitar solos--is somehow less influential than guitar playing based on virtuosity. When you get right down to it, the guitar playing of Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong has a lot in common with that of a Seventies guitar hero like Ted Nugent. Both have been very influential because their styles are very accessible... To me, the best rock riff writer now is Diamond Darrell of Pantera. At the other end of the sonic spectrum is the Edge from U2, who plays completely stylized parts which propel the songs.

I'm really getting into a Eric Johnson.... He is defintely an awesome virtusoso...

I want to add that if the Edge wasn't technically limited, we would never have gotten great U2 songs. Conventional guitar rock songs would have come out instead. The Edge took his limitations and really did something great with it... for instance, "Where the Streets Have No Name," or "With or Without You."

Flying FuManchu said:
I'm really getting into a Eric Johnson.... He is defintely an awesome virtusoso...

I want to add that if the Edge wasn't technically limited, we would never have gotten great U2 songs. Conventional guitar rock songs would have come out instead. The Edge took his limitations and really did something great with it... for instance, "Where the Streets Have No Name," or "With or Without You."

yeah, which is why i like his guitar playing in the first place, and why i have a problem getting into something like eric johnson's playing. i can listen to some of it, but not for a long period of time.

i like cliffs of dover a lot, but i can't deal with hearing it more than once every couple months.

Back
Top Bottom