Edge Signature Strat thoughts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The Edge signature Stratocaster. It's been out a while now.

I'm wonder if NAMM will bring an alternative? Maybe the silver finish? Maybe the silver with a sustainer?

Dallas had mentioned the silver finish prototypes were to try something different, as the majority of his Strats have been black.

Johnny Marr jaguars came out in two finishes. Then they put out the limited Sherwood Green. And more recently, they put out a black finish.

Am I the only one that would like one in a different finish?

I'd love the silver. But I'd think it'd be cool if he played (and Fender released) a Sherwood green model. Could be cool.

Maybe we will find out during the shows starting in May?!

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Wrong company, I know, but an Edge sig Explorer would be magnificent.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Wrong company again, but i wish Gretsch makes some kind of signature Jet for Edge.

Last edited:
Rosewood fretboard or bust for me. Also I feel like the pickups are underwhelming. That said, I'm sure it plays great!

I know there's some arrangement there... Problem though is so few can afford a custom gretsch as it is. God I want one

If I wanted an Edge Fender signature Strat I want the all black with maple neck. That's the one I've been lusting after since like forever. The one with sustainer would be nice too but I already have like 5 guitars with those things and another sustainer kit waiting to be built into number 6.

Also :drool::drool::drool::drool: on an Edge Explorer.

Doesn't Fender own Gretsch?

Well not quite, apparently. Grestch apparently spins owned by the family; however, the distribution and production part is done by Fender. They still have a deep relationship, tho

But is there anything special about Edge's jet?
The thing with his Explorer, is I think he's pretty fastidious about it sounding a certain way and having Dallas source guitars/parts to ensure it's hiw he likes it. Which really does lend itself to a custom guitar.

Also, re Edge strat, agree with the all black. Miffed it has a white pick guard

Jet he's used aren't that special. but i thought that he could make new Jet that could replace his Les Pauls or something. i just wish Edge would mess with existing guitars/specs more

The thing with his Explorer, is I think he's pretty fastidious about it sounding a certain way and having Dallas source guitars/parts to ensure it's hiw he likes it. Which really does lend itself to a custom guitar.

Also, re Edge strat, agree with the all black. Miffed it has a white pick guard

Nothing that you can't fix with a black pick guard, some covers and knobs. Although for that price it should come as optional with the guitar. Not something you have to spend extra money on. It's not much, nothing compared to the price of the guitar, but considering the price of that guitar they should throw it in for free for the completists.

Jet he's used aren't that special. but i thought that he could make new Jet that could replace his Les Pauls or something. i just wish Edge would mess with existing guitars/specs more

I'm glad that he's constant. Keeps things nice and tidy. It also means there's an actual signature guitar for us to clone. Not a guitar that constantly changes and which you could never really replicate. Like with Adam. If I were a bass player I'd be really pissed if I had dropped a ton of money on an Adam signature bass, only for him to never play them again and switch to something else instead once a tour is over.

i know it's good that he keeps his guitar pretty standard and known to us instead of like in the past, where he just used vintage guitars with pickups and all that which could've been modified in the past.

Nothing that you can't fix with a black pick guard, some covers and knobs. Although for that price it should come as optional with the guitar. Not something you have to spend extra money on. It's not much, nothing compared to the price of the guitar, but considering the price of that guitar they should throw it in for free for the completists.

This. Exactly this. I mean, Edge's black on black (or is it tortoise shell on black? must check) strat is just, well, Edge. How can you go to all this trouble to release a custom guitar and change the look of his signature strat?

EDIT: Definitely pure black guard. Don't mind me...

I don't know why but I really hate the look of black strats with a white pick guard. no idea why, and I know they're a classic and so on, but they just look crap to me :lol: i know the looks don't make the guitar but they really bother me for some dumb reason and when I saw the edge signature model I thought what a waste..
like Muad'zin said, the option of a black scratchplate would have been pretty cool. (he says with absolutely no intention/hope of buying one any time soon!!)

I reckon that the signature guitar is not a faithful replica of the original Black Strat, but what Edge sees as the most optimal Strat for him nowadays. And that seems to include the white pickguard.

Still should have come with black replacement accessories for us nutters though. :drool:

I think in the interview on Guitar World, Edge said that his sig is indeed the best Start for him at this moment rather than the recreation of the old strats he's used.

Right, Clapton signature wasn't a replication of his Blackie or anything. but...some seem to release the replica of their guitars as "signature" like Yngwie.

For what he says in the articles he will never use his old strats again... is like brian may let using his old red special... omg...

Everything You Know is Wrong

Don't know if this has been brought up in another thread already but Stratosphere Parts have been selling bits of the edge strat separately, just bought the loaded pickguard!! :hyper: think they might have sold out already but they've had quite a few pop up recently so anyone interested should definitely keep an eye out.

wu1bEP3_d.jpg

swapping the mint green for black first chance I get but I can't fucking wait to get those pickups in my strat!

Don't know if this has been brought up in another thread already but Stratosphere Parts have been selling bits of the edge strat separately, just bought the loaded pickguard!! :hyper: think they might have sold out already but they've had quite a few pop up recently so anyone interested should definitely keep an eye out.

wu1bEP3_d.jpg

swapping the mint green for black first chance I get but I can't fucking wait to get those pickups in my strat!

Nice!

By the way a word of warning to anyone ordering from outside the US, they pass the pretty hefty customs/taxes on to you without mentioning it anywhere on their site when ordering/paying :doh:

I had to find out from UPS when they showed up and asked for a payment that far outweighed the shipping price :lol: really angry with how the website keep that little detail quiet and let me find out as a surprise on the doorstep but hey lesson learned guess, and the pickups are bloody brilliant.

By the way a word of warning to anyone ordering from outside the US, they pass the pretty hefty customs/taxes on to you without mentioning it anywhere on their site when ordering/paying :doh:

I had to find out from UPS when they showed up and asked for a payment that far outweighed the shipping price :lol: really angry with how the website keep that little detail quiet and let me find out as a surprise on the doorstep but hey lesson learned guess, and the pickups are bloody brilliant.

I'm in the US, so it wouldn't bother me. I'm interested in the loaded elite pickguard with N4 pickups and S1 button. Maybe in a year or so once I've built up my plugins for recording.

I had to find out from UPS when they showed up and asked for a payment that far outweighed the shipping price [emoji38] really angry with how the website keep that little detail quiet and let me find out as a surprise on the doorstep but hey lesson learned guess, and the pickups are bloody brilliant.
Cheers for heads up.
So just confirming, this is the 3 edge strat pups with the flat magnets?

Basically everything you import from abroad, especially the US, gets slapped with hefty customs duties and taxes. Maybe a small package, not too expensive, will manage to sneak by, but overall anything over $30, and big enough to warrant inspection will get inspected. Cause big size equals big value. When there's money to be made from the little guy governments get remarkable efficient. This is made easier for them because American stores always list the value on the transport bill. That way if it gets lost there is no legal argument over its value. It is after all America. On the other hand this means customs know exactly what its worth and how much taxes and import duties to apply. This is why I usually avoid ordering stuff from the US if I don't have too. I might as well go look for a local webshop in the EU and pay a little extra, because in the end, that's what I will end up paying anyway. Plus additional hassle. I would imagine the same would apply for Australia. Of course you guys have probably less choice to shop locally.

When ordering from China, or the Far East in general you might have more luck, as Chinese stuff costs next to nothing, nor does Chinese shipping. So they don't bother with shipping insurance and as a result don't list the value on the package. Or even list a lower value to make it harder for customs to assess its true value. On the downside, Chinese shipping seems to take forever, apparently it has to travel via ox cart down the Silk Road, and when customs do decide to apply customs duties and taxes they might charge you even more, as its based on a guesstimate.

Back
Top Bottom