Edge plays with pick "backwards"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boybonoman

Babyface
I've read in some guitar "hero" book that the Edge plays with his picks "backwards". He says it creates a smoother / deeper tone. Anybody else ever read this?

Also, I've watched the videos close up and see this to be true. I've tried it and discovered it to be difficult at first but fantastic with practice. The picks he uses are from Germany and have bumps on them that cause a raspy sound against the strings. If anyone has some accurate info please pass it on. Believe me, it really changes the way a guitar sounds. I play a Fender Tele Standard, which has a plucky sound normally, but with the pick like this, it brings out a whole different sound.

Any other guitarist out there with any info is welcome to pass on some info.

Thanks

Lot's of guitarist play with the pick like that. Edge uses Herdim brand picks, they have bumps on the back, and help bring out a "chimey" sound when playing.

I've been looking for Herdim picks for about 2 years and can only seem to find the ones with three different edges, not just a normal plectrum with one edge. I've seen Edge's picks up close when I was at MTV's TRL and they are quite a sight. Anyone know where I can find these?

Zoomeranger
I may have found a place where you can get them. I'll be trying myself. I've noticed that his picks are blue most of the time and these are called Herdim hard blue picks in the "teardrop" shape. Not the triangle. The two sites I've seen these at are the following:

musicfolk.com
stoneyend.com

Give it a shot and let me know what happens. If you need more info just post here.

Another good pick to use is a Pickboy Nylon 66 which has grip nodules on each face. I possess only one of these picks and cannot find any suppliers in the UK. I use the nodules on the face of the pick to strike the strings going some way towards recreating the 'Edge Tone'. It works really well when playing Where the streets have no name. I only hope I don't lose the bloody thing!

Re: Edge plays with pick "backwards"

boybonoman said:
I've read in some guitar "hero" book that the Edge plays with his picks "backwards". He says it creates a smoother / deeper tone. Anybody else ever read this?

what does it mean to play with pics "backwards"????:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom