Edge listed in the Artist section of Fractal Audio Page

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I will just throw this out there for your info.

It probably wont surprise you guys, but Edge is on the artist section of the Fractal Audio webpage. He's been pretty involved with them for a while now (starting from end of 360 tour?) and he's now a big time user of Axe-Fx, like many artists nowadays.

here's the page: Fractal Audio Systems - Artists using the Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Ultra, Axe-Fx, MFC-101

i saw it as kinda weird move (haven't seen him on many company's webpage, and probably most recent one is Line 6). I guess Edge is feeling the sweetness of endorsement by now?

EDIT: Edge is not on the Line 6 page anymore, so there's that.

Last edited:
unless if your company sue the shit out of you if you leave so you're forced to stay. (i don't know about details but I feel like some prominent Ibanez endorsee never use any of non-Ibanez guitars in public ever, even if they're at some concerts where Fender strats or Gibson LPs seem to be more appropriate)

Here's what I think, Ibanez guitars are shred guitars. If that is your style changing to a Strat or a Les Paul is like being a ball room dancer and exchanging your dancing shoes back to sneakers again. You will definitely notice that. I speak from experience. Ibanez guitars have like the thinnest necks I've ever held in my hands. I prefer thin necks myself so that is a feature I appreciate (the only one in this case cause I hate Ibanez guitars). If you're used to that then taking up a Les Paul feels like playing a baseball bat. In that sense I don't think Ibanez players need much encouragement not to pick up a Les Paul or a Strat. I'd say Ibanez Fender and Gibson aren't the competition they should be worried about that their endorsees might switch over. ESP, Jackson, BC Rich, Dean, those on the other hand....

Back on the original topic, Edge becoming an endorsement whore is probably related to him no longer being a vintage gear fanatic. Now that he no longer almost exclusively uses his tried and tested decades old gear he's open to anyone who can offer him the sounds that he wants. And get a nice deal out of it as well.

I really notice that Edge doesn't have not many vintage guitars now, though. Only his blonde tele and country gent are real vintage, or his Goldtop made in 80s (is 80s guitar considered as vintage?) Lots of his acoustics are modern as well, like Collings and Fneder (that one, i hate)

Last edited:
yes. i noticed that on the backstage he had his sunburst Stratocaster... but not used on this tour. the rickenbacker i consider a vintage too...

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

oh right, i forgot that he likes older Ricks......but I really don't see differences between high-gain pups and low-gain pups from Rickenbacker.

Personally if Edge uses half a dozen different Strats live I rarely hear the difference between them. Maybe in a carefully organized studio A/B test, playing the same stuff over the same amp. But in a live situation, with various arena acoustics to consider and his army of amps and effects, they all sound the same to me. He could probably gig with only half a dozen guitars, and that would still be considered a lot by most other artists.

But I'm of the opinion Edge is like that princess who can feel a pea underneath whole stacks of mattresses. If he weren't a famous artist he'd be on TGP debating the pros and cons of wires vs. wireless, gold plated or not, special transistor mojo and all those other things TGP is famous for. :D

"Perhaps more widely than any other guitarist in history, the Edge is known for his signature sound—a combination of musical elegance, exquisite core tone, and innovative effects—especially echo."

How can anyone else be known for Edge's signature sound?? :D

But I'm of the opinion Edge is like that princess who can feel a pea underneath whole stacks of mattresses. If he weren't a famous artist he'd be on TGP debating the pros and cons of wires vs. wireless, gold plated or not, special transistor mojo and all those other things TGP is famous for. :D

I know that he may choosing guitars according to feel, and there may be some EQ-ing within the axe-fx which can make guitars sound somewhat similar

"Perhaps more widely than any other guitarist in history, the Edge is known for his signature sound—a combination of musical elegance, exquisite core tone, and innovative effects—especially echo."

How can anyone else be known for Edge's signature sound?? :D

I think Edge is a genius when it comes to finding interesting tasteful sounds that compliment U2's music. I also think that doesn't mean that some of what he is does is a bit ridiculous. Playing 20+ different guitars each night, Dallas having to restring each and everyone of those with fresh strings for each show. Like every human being he has his quirks and idiosyncrasies, some of which actually contribute to his sound, and others are just there because he can.

I know that he may choosing guitars according to feel, and there may be some EQ-ing within the axe-fx which can make guitars sound somewhat similar

If that's the case though and he can make guitars sound somewhat similar, why go to the trouble of bring and playing 20+ guitars on tour? Why not do the reverse and make a handful of guitars to sound like 20+ different guitars?

He has gone a long way. Gone are the vintage amps and guitars from biblical times. New amps, new guitars, digital modeling. But he's still in the mindset that each guitar sounds different enough to warrant bringing 20+ guitars along at tour. If he can accept that his current gear can replace ye olde Korg A3 for that Mysterious Ways sound, the next step would then be to use a smaller number of guitars for most songs. Who knows, maybe Dallas is working on it?

Well my point can be modestly valid considering that there are some artists who EQ the hell out of their guitar signals to make all guitars sound homogenous while using tons of different guitars. (I mean, Billy Gibbons).

Yeah, right, there could be some differences (i.e.. strats used for slides could have set up for higher actions by Dallas) that i didnt consider.

I also felt that he used tons of strats with different spec just to road-test his sig model spec; I even suspect that lots of strats used in IE tour may be assembled (like one day the maple-boarded neck is replaced with rosewood one) as the tour went on. I think the situation for his guitar usage on IE tour wasn't purely for the tone

Last edited:
Well my point can be modestly valid considering that there are some artists who EQ the hell out of their guitar signals to make all guitars sound homogenous while using tons of different guitars. (I mean, Billy Gibbons).

I can't quite comment on the good Billy Gibbons, I've yet to ever see a ZZ Top shop in its full. :( I do suspect some element of showmanship is involved, plus he's collects and orders shitloads of custom guitars. He might want to show off a few. I know that Matt Bellamy also cycles to a ton of guitars each show, with not always the same guitar being used for the same song. But he uses different tunings a lot and they're usually all built to the same specs in regards to weight and pickups. Plus he's the only guy who has ordered a whole series of identical guitars so he can smash them up on stage.

Yeah, right, there could be some differences (i.e.. strats used for slides could have set up for higher actions by Dallas) that i didnt consider.

I also felt that he used tons of strats with different spec just to road-test his sig model spec; I even suspect that lots of strats used in IE tour may be assembled (like one day the maple-boarded neck is replaced with rosewood one) as the tour went on. I think the situation for his guitar usage on IE tour wasn't purely for the tone

Which does prove that the tone of each individual guitar, of which he used to say 'they all really sound different' is not so critical as he used to think.

Rig of Billy Gibbons:

Even though he uses tons of custom gear, all the guitars are gonna go thru EQ so that it'll sounds like his original 59 Les Paul (I'm not gonna complain, they sounds killer.)

I don't think Edge at this stage where he thinks all strats sound different. But he switches his Music Rising LP often so i don't know what's up with that.

Back
Top Bottom