Edge 360 Rig pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As mentioned, you won't find any more than the few circulating from the U2 360 DVD from the Barcelona opening, when the rig was still on stage. It's been in the underworld w/ Dallas ever since and you won't find any useful pics other than if you find some documentaries about the 360 Tour, where Dallas takes camera's downstage. And even then, the shots won't be very satisfying.

thanks! Is that Edge's SG? the silver one.

It's not silver, it's Pelham Blue. It's a 1965 Gibson SG/Les Paul.

Pelham Blue finish tends to turngreen a bit over time (yellowing plus blue finish = greenish appearance). This is due to the coating on the finish, much like Edge's Alpine White Les Paul Custom's yellowed over time.

The guitar belongs to The Edge. It's the backup to the Cherry Red 1966 SG/Les Paul.

I've been told that the Pelham Blue SG was bought at Cow Town Guitars, in Las Vegas.

what do u use?

For me? It varies on the occasion. I have a variety of pedals, rack gear and Line 6 M13 that I use.

I don't have a rack setup right now. But I do have a few rack effect units. I have (2) Korg A3s, a Digitech IPS 33b Super-Harmony Maching, Electrix Filter Factory..

Now my work with Chas and Joshua Tree, he's got a Liquid Foot Midi controller, (2) GCX to loop the pedals, various rack gear, pedals + 2 amps: Vox AC30 and Emerald Green Limited Ed. Fender Blues Junior.

He's a got a good assortment of Edge-like guitars that we use. And a few from my collection fill in what he doesn't have. So we do have most everything covered in 'Guitar World'.

I have not used the 33b for Whammy. I use it for shimmer. I got my "Lemon" sound out of that.

I use the WH-1 for all Whammy use.

Whoops, shimmer, forgot about that one. :)

And I envy you for having a WH-1, it's the one thing I've reallyreallyreallyreally...REALLY wanted for years now, but I'm just not up for paying ridiculous +600USD. I really wish these things would come around again w/ the old chip, I've tested the WH-4 and it sounds rubbish.

Whoops, shimmer, forgot about that one. :)

And I envy you for having a WH-1, it's the one thing I've reallyreallyreallyreally...REALLY wanted for years now, but I'm just not up for paying ridiculous +600USD. I really wish these things would come around again w/ the old chip, I've tested the WH-4 and it sounds rubbish.

Gotta take off for our Joshua Tree shows today... I have an interesting Digitech story. Stay tuned...:wave:

Would love to hear it. :)

Digitech:

In interviews, I've heard Dallas, The Edge, Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine / Audioslave) all say that the reissue just doesn't quite sound the same as the originals.

So I contacted Digitech to find out why. What was different. Sure the new one is midi capable, which is a useful thing. But why does the newer one sound 'cleaner'.

The guy from Digitech tells me that the reason is that the WH-1 had a 16-bit chip and the currect reissue has a 24-bit. That is why they new one is cleaner.

"Why the change?": I asked.

"We can't get the 16-bit chip any longer; no one makes it", he says.

"Is it possible to make in-house? It would be cool if Digitech could offer, even if by special order and for a bit more money, the original configuration", I say.

"Why would we do that", he says.

"Well, there are tons of U2 and Rage/Audioslave fans out there that have heard both The Edge and Tom Morello state that the original sounds grittier and in that, more interesting.", I say.

His answer? "Well, this is the sound of new stuff, we aren't living in the past".

I said: "But wouldn't it be good for the company to get some of the money being made on the 2nd hand market, on old units being sold on ebay? Just thinking that if the reissue goes for $200, I am sure that many would be willing to pay $300 to $325 to get one that sounds and looks like the original. That is money in Digitechs pocket. Fans that want the pedal can special order it, so it isn't as though you'd have to keep a load of stock...

He interupts: "Look, like I said... we are the sound of new things. We don't care to remake the old one. Goodbye".

Guess he didn't like that I asked? I was very clear to him, that the reissue ins't a bad pedal. I told him that there was a lot of good about it. But that for my ear and my want, I wanted to get that slightly dirtier grit from the WH-1. I offered up why it could benefit Digitech. I offered up that I know loads of U2 fans/guitarists alone that would buy them; and if available by special order, it wouldn't put Digitech out by having to mass produce and ship to every shop. He wasn't wanting to hear any of that.

Funny thing is that they made a limited edition chrome 20th anniversary Whammy WH-1. They could have made that with the original chip. But that didn't happen.

Oh well....

Digitech:

In interviews, I've heard Dallas, The Edge, Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine / Audioslave) all say that the reissue just doesn't quite sound the same as the originals.

So I contacted Digitech to find out why. What was different. Sure the new one is midi capable, which is a useful thing. But why does the newer one sound 'cleaner'.

The guy from Digitech tells me that the reason is that the WH-1 had a 16-bit chip and the currect reissue has a 24-bit. That is why they new one is cleaner.

"Why the change?": I asked.

"We can't get the 16-bit chip any longer; no one makes it", he says.

"Is it possible to make in-house? It would be cool if Digitech could offer, even if by special order and for a bit more money, the original configuration", I say.

"Why would we do that", he says.

"Well, there are tons of U2 and Rage/Audioslave fans out there that have heard both The Edge and Tom Morello state that the original sounds grittier and in that, more interesting.", I say.

His answer? "Well, this is the sound of new stuff, we aren't living in the past".

I said: "But wouldn't it be good for the company to get some of the money being made on the 2nd hand market, on old units being sold on ebay? Just thinking that if the reissue goes for $200, I am sure that many would be willing to pay $300 to $325 to get one that sounds and looks like the original. That is money in Digitechs pocket. Fans that want the pedal can special order it, so it isn't as though you'd have to keep a load of stock...

He interupts: "Look, like I said... we are the sound of new things. We don't care to remake the old one. Goodbye".

Guess he didn't like that I asked? I was very clear to him, that the reissue ins't a bad pedal. I told him that there was a lot of good about it. But that for my ear and my want, I wanted to get that slightly dirtier grit from the WH-1. I offered up why it could benefit Digitech. I offered up that I know loads of U2 fans/guitarists alone that would buy them; and if available by special order, it wouldn't put Digitech out by having to mass produce and ship to every shop. He wasn't wanting to hear any of that.

Funny thing is that they made a limited edition chrome 20th anniversary Whammy WH-1. They could have made that with the original chip. But that didn't happen.

Oh well....

Haha, great story. Thanks. :)

Well, it is known that the Canadian company they worked w/ during the process of the WH-1 split and hence, they couldn't get the famous chip anymore. But as you say, what I don't understand is why no one goes around making these things: The ball is obviously in Digitech's court, but the reaction just seems a bit bitter because quite frankly, the majority of people would opt for the WH-1. It's not all vintage hype, that thing just sounds better.

This sort of reminds me of how Korg "embraces" its older products like the A3 or the SDD's. When you contact them it's as if they never produced those things.

Back
Top Bottom