easiest to cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Desire hands down but also because you don't really need to play with an effect and you're just switching off chords. Here are some others that are easy....

Ultra Violet is pretty easy
SBS
Discotheque

the Ultraviolet riff is ultra-easy, i always use it when testing out different effects :drool:

'All I Want is You' is also very easy.

i'd disagree about Ultraviolet. the riffs Edge plays live are a little more complicated than on the album, plus there's his falsetto which could be hard to pull off. easiest overall, i'd say I Will Follow

I say anything from their first 3 albums. All you need is an overdrive/distortion, a simple delay pedal and a Vox AC30 or something that can simulate an AC-30.

Yes what Edge did back then takes probably a bit more effort to learn as some of his new stuff but once you got it you can nail it easy because of the easy effects setup.
Yes a lot of new song are dead easy, but you need perfect hearing to obtain he right sound. No need for preprogrammed rack delays timed to the milli-second. Or guitar processors and effects that have been discontinued since Mozes crossed the Red Sea.

Vertigo or All Because of You. Great songs, but also very straight forward rock songs. Maybe Zoo Station if you have a flanger effect.

Can I change my answer to just Desire:wink:

I mean all you have to do is three chords through the whole song...:shrug:

My band is going to start by trying Out of Control, The Electric Co., Streets, UTEOTW, and The Fly.

tpsglick2424 said:
Yeah, streets is also a very easy song...

The Fly is easy?

I never tried it:reject:

I don't care, it would be awesome to perform since I'm the lead singer, and I have the vocal tone down cold. Our guitarist is pretty good, I have faith.

craigp said:
the thing with the fly is ya gotta have the right tone, typical with most of edges guitar work really, easy to play, hard to get the right sound

My guy has a good amp with a lot of effects, and he intends to be pedals. What do you need for The Fly and Streets?

You could use the Pod XT Pro rack for 95% of edge's effects..Even the fly..

The ones that have a wah pedal in them are not in the Pod..So maybe even 98%...

But it's like $400

Yeah, I don't think we could go that expensive yet. Right now we're trying to figure out how to get enough money to buy me a guitar, two mics for me and the guitarist, two mic stands, and our drummer a crash/ride cymbal. Funds are limited.

phillyfan26 said:

My guy has a good amp with a lot of effects, and he intends to be pedals. What do you need for The Fly and Streets?

I don't know for The Fly, you probably need a Korg A3. For Streets a good stereo delay is critical. With modulation delay if possible. Ideally a Korg SDD-3000 or a TC-2290. Preferably both. With two Vox AC-30 amps so you get optimal use of the stereo effect.

tpsglick2424 said:
You could use the Pod XT Pro rack for 95% of edge's effects..Even the fly..

The ones that have a wah pedal in them are not in the Pod..So maybe even 98%...

But it's like $400

I don't know for The Fly, you probably need a Korg A3. For Streets a good stereo delay is critical. With modulation delay if possible. Ideally a Korg SDD-3000 or a TC-2290. Preferably both. With two Vox AC-30 amps so you get optimal use of the stereo effect.

The Pod saves you thousands of dollars for the same kind of sounds you would get on other machines..

We're going for the cheapest possible, so we may go for sounds that are not quite perfect.

His amp is a Fender, I think, not sure exactly what model.

Yeah, we're not. I want to get it somewhere close, but it's not that important.

We're going to do some earlier stuff, which doesn't require as much effects, right?

(Out of Control, Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, I Will Follow)

tpsglick2424 said:

The Pod saves you thousands of dollars for the same kind of sounds you would get on other machines..

I've used a Pod. They're good for homerecording, I find them sadly lacking in a live setup though. It's just not the same. I couldn't find a satisfactory Streets tone in their online line 6 edit library. They all just seems to fumble with the delay setting at random. Also the Pod doesn't have digital modulation delay.

So I prefer to

i always thought cover songs are supposed to be a little different from the real thing -- these guys aren't a cover band

I concur. I play in a Radiohead coverband and I always try to give it my own spin. But some songs you can't do different from the real thing. Streets IS that bright chiming cascading waterfall of delayed guitartones. It defines the song. Anything less will not work. Which is why it would be smarter to cover something else that gives you more freedom.

I think the most common mistake beginning bands make is that they try to cover their favorite tunes regardless as to whether they are ready for it yet. Some songs just require more technical skill, the right equipment or just plain insight to make it work right.

Even early U2 songs were also just simple straightforward songs with lots of emphasis on drive and energy. Only with the Unforgettable Fire were they able to master new approaches and did Edge's simple pedalboard start to grow into the twin towered monstrosity that he has today.

We're going to do some earlier stuff, which doesn't require as much effects, right?

A simple distortion/overdrive pedal, a simpel analogue delay set to 225 bps for almost every song and an amp.

Originally posted by Muad'zin

"But some songs you can't do different from the real thing. Streets IS that bright chiming cascading waterfall of delayed guitartones. It defines the song. Anything less will not work. Which is why it would be smarter to cover something else that gives you more freedom. "

I completely disagree. Think Johnny Cash's "Hurt", or even Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah", which was then covered by Rufus Wainwright... You're putting rules on making music, which is exactly what rock and roll is NOT about. Poignant covers are sometimes the most drastically altered, filled with the covering artists' passion, soul, charisma, personality, and musical strengths. Star Sailor actually did an acoustic/stripped cover of "Streets" (strumming was in Half Time) - try finding it somewhere online, and listen... it actually worked.

PS... trying to figure out how to properly quote! sorry!

Great Gatsby said:

I completely disagree. Think Johnny Cash's "Hurt", or even Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah", which was then covered by Rufus Wainwright... You're putting rules on making music, which is exactly what rock and roll is NOT about. Poignant covers are sometimes the most drastically altered, filled with the covering artists' passion, soul, charisma, personality, and musical strengths. Star Sailor actually did an acoustic/stripped cover of "Streets" (strumming was in Half Time) - try finding it somewhere online, and listen... it actually worked.

PS... trying to figure out how to properly quote! sorry!

Most U2 songs that have been covered and reworked by other artists IMHO just don't cut it. Could be my own taste, its possible. I liked that guy doing WOWY by himself and a looping device though.

Personally I still think to really take a U2 song, or any song basically and turn and twist it around until it becomes yours takes maturity and experience. 99% of all bands lack this henceforth they will always be compared and judged by the original. In which case a perfect copy of Streets is better then a badly covered version. It's just a to well known song with a pretty high bar to reach.

Back
Top Bottom