Easiest song to learn on guitar for beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floweravalanche

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Where the streets have no name, In God's Country,
I'm just learning guitar on my own, and I was wondering if anyone new the easiest U2 song to learn for a beginner?

I sometimes have a hard time playing cause my hands are a bet small to play guitar

If you know of any songs that would be easy for me to learn let me know :) or if just have tips.

I Heard that With or With out you was pretty good for beginners? I believe in a video I found recently Edge said " this is one of the easiest U2 songs to play". But I'm not sure, I'm just learning. I only know a couple chords right now, C, D, Em, G, and I believe Am.

I'll look at Sunday Blood Sunday.

I have an electric acoustic right now, I have to get better before I jump to an regular electric.

It so different jumping from Violin to guitar. lol

uh WOWY is VERY hard to do effect wise. It's the easiest song in the world on bass though.

Vertigo is really easy too.

Running to Stand Still. Three chords in the entire song: D, G, and A. All just strummed.

Verses
D G

End of Verses (A la la la de day part)
A G

Hi Floweravalanche,

do I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. its main riff its very simple you just have to stretch out your fingers a bit thats all.

e--------------------------4---
b----------5--5---5--5---------
g-------2-------2-------2-----

Then do that around 4 times and it comes the song, if you go up one fret it will sound different, if you slide it four frets down in that position it will sound like rattle and hum.

ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS ARCHIVE | 300,000+ Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs! is a good source.

I play I still haven't found different than Earl,

Main guitar riff
E--------------------------------------------------9--------------------------|
B------10-10-10-----10-10-10-----10-10-10-----10-10-10------------------------|
G----7------7-----7------7-----7------7-----7---------------------------------|
D--0------------0------------0------------0-----------------------------------|
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A lot mentioned are really easy
Vertigo, New Years Day, I Will Follow, etc... The first U2 song I learned was I Will Follow. Also The Fly is pretty simple. A lot of U2's songs are pretty simple. Not ALL of them though but a lot. I'm working on Magnificent. Doesn't seem too hard though.

All I Want is You is by far one of the easiest to play if you are just learning to have a soing along. If you want to full replicate effects and play solos etc, id say its a medium-rare.

By extension, The First Time is very simple.

With the chords you have listed, add an F and you can play a huge number of songs, Staring at the Sun etc.

If you have small hands, I would think you'd be better playing some earlier U2, more power chords and lead riffs rather than barre chords etc.

The first song I ever tried to play was 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. Probably a little big for beginners, but is good practice for Edge riffing etc.

Also, if you want to play early U2, get in some good practice at pulling off harmonics

Running to Stand Still. Three chords in the entire song: D, G, and A. All just strummed.

Verses
D G

End of Verses (A la la la de day part)
A G

Are the chords in JT/Lovetown/Vertigo piano version the same as Zoo TV guitar version ?

Well the begining isnt to bad, the chorus sounds easy but I cant seem to figure out what chords they are. If I can do you can trust me

Now kick me in the bum here but I'm not to familer with a lot of U2's early stuff as I didn't come in until I believe When beautiful day came out, and I knew a couple songs like I will follow, Sunday bloody sunday, and where the streets have no name cause they were played on the radio other then that I didn't have a clue and still kind of don't:reject:

A good simple early song of theirs that makes you feel like a shredding guitarist if you have a digital delay is A Day Without Me.

Very easy song, but has a nice kick.

You should check out the first 3 albums. Most of the guitar work is riff based, and easier to begin learning than songs of AB of JT era.

Are the chords in JT/Lovetown/Vertigo piano version the same as Zoo TV guitar version ?

Well, Edge is playing a riff the whole time, but the chord structure would be the same. Everything would be tuned a half step down. I think Adam's bass line is the same.

The intro to False Prophet is pretty easy,a bit of a rare song...

I'd say the easiest U2 songs to learn if you play tabs is In God's Country,and Stand Up Comedy.

I Heard that With or With out you was pretty good for beginners? I believe in a video I found recently Edge said " this is one of the easiest U2 songs to play". But I'm not sure, I'm just learning. I only know a couple chords right now, C, D, Em, G, and I believe Am.

acoustically and just on a rhythm basis, WOWY is fairly simple.
D, A, Bm, G

Another somewhat easy one is All I Want is You.
A, D for the verses
F#m, D for the prechorus, "all the promises you make from the cradle to the grave.."
A, D for the chorus, "when all I want is you"
A, D

really, if you break down a lot of U2 songs and take away the effects and just go to an acoustic rhythm, they're fairly simple, even a song like Where The Streets Have No Name, which is mostly D, Bm and G. What makes it so difficult is that Edge is not your basic rhythm guitarist. he uses a lot of staccato and tends to play within the chords note for note string for string instead of playing the usual coffee house rhythm..not to mention the heavy delays. what you'll find with his use of delay is that he plays to the delay. he doesn't just use delay to color what he's already written sans effect.
you should learn, in first position, as many of the chords as you can - you're within striking distance of the most commonly used chords in U2 songs -- you need to add A, Am, Bm, D, Dm, F and you'll have much covered.
once you get those down on the first position you'll be able to get down further the neck and play with the voicings Edge uses. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom