E-Guitar Fender Squier Tele vs. Fender Tele (Mexico)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mirrorballman

Refugee
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast and ..... ?
I'm about to purchase a Tele, but am having some doubts about what to get. A vintage 70's Tele won't work :) Although, if I find "THE guitar" I would be willing to pay good money...

...but for now, I'm thinking about the cheaper options. I'd like to ask what you think, generally, is the better guitar:

Fender Squier Tele
or
Fender Tele (Mexico)

price diff isn't very big between the two. now I don't have any experience in this yet, and I know things like this usually are "personal taste"...still wanted to get a 2nd opinion on it.

or afterall,does anyone think to put some more money on it and just buy a new fender tele?

i got the 1972 squier tele reissue and found it to sound more like the real 72 than the american made one. Great guitar and bang for your buck. The action needs lowering, the plug in is crap... and you might consider changing the pots, but overall, the guitar is great.

yeah, i got the squier 72 custom also, and it does need a little work (i tried tigtening the truss rod and shaving down the bridge to lower the action). i got it with the p90s, and it sounds great and even with the high action the neck plays well. i always found the necks on the Fender Teles to be wayy to chunky for my liking.

Consider an 80s Tokai Tele from eBay. About as expensive as a MIM but sounds, looks and plays like a vintage Fender. Easily the best bang for your buck IMO.

might be a weird question but is there a reason why fender acoustic guitars are so cheap (rather to other famous acoustic guitar brands)??? does fender "suck" in producing acoustic guitars or whats the deal?

by the way when i say "cheap", i mean relatively cheap (compared to what gibsons, line6, etc cost...)

Last edited:
discothequeLP said:
i always found the necks on the Fender Teles to be wayy to chunky for my liking. [/B]

I play a Fender Custom´62 Telecaster (Japan) and I really love the neck.
You should check out the 60´s Tele reissues, they have way slimmer necks than the 50´s reissues! :)

i ve been playing with a tele for a while custom, mexican...ive played vertigo live...and i must tell u it sonudede almost like on the verytigo tour...excelent choice....check still the state of the neck and micks....that will lead you in knowing how long it may last

Just say NO to Squier Tele's (Squier Strats, etc) UNLESS they are a 1980's model from Japan.

The Made In Mexico stuff is far superior. And if you can find a CIJ (Crafted in Japan - Fenders term not mine) that is even better.

I recently got a CIJ Tele Custom (like the one in the Vertigo video), used but great condition for $520.00

Back
Top Bottom