Dumble distortion — is there any value to this? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 02:18 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Dumble distortion — is there any value to this?

I know i should have account about gear somewhere but i feels like i trust you guys more....and finally I'm posting relevant to gear.

So i recently see tons of pedals that claim to reproduce "Dumble tone." I know Edge never uses that kind of amp that's as expensive as an average house but Edge uses tons of Fender amps especially in distorted passages. Dumble tends to be very American sounding so I feel like there might be some value in terms of Edge related use. what do you guys think??

the example is recent pedal from Way Huge: Dunlop Manufacturing :: Electronics :: :: Overrated Special® Overdrive

Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 08:43 AM
If it sounds good to you, if it sounds good on your gear, then roll with it. I don't think its a sound in Edge's arsenal, but I also think nailing the exact tone right down to the letter is not as important as most people think. The timing of delays are obviously crucial, and some sounds are more important then others (Mysterious Ways obviously) but as long as the rendition of a song is right, if the singer sounds like Bono and the band manages to capture the feel of a U2 song then I don't think it matters one damn bit if you used a Dumble style overdrive or your average run of the mill Tubescreamer.

Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:02 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I just thought that it's kinda convenient for practicing-at-the-home guy like me to have gain-y sound just in case I feel like I want to play one. This boutique amp business is very insane, though. I never fully understand the point, as Larry Carlton just sounds as good with cranked Tweed as he does in cranked Dumble.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Well I'll tell you this much about boutique amps: my Carr amps sound way closer to the Fender sound I hear in my head than modern production Fender amps, and are more reliable than old amps (and don't smell like mildew and musty cigarettes). They also run quieter and have some modern features like half power and quarter power.

That being said, I've tried and owned many Vox variants and the best I've played is a 2003 Vox AC30 Top Boost amp made in the UK with Celestion Greenbacks. Much better than the Vox variant boutiques I've tried. The variants were way more harsh and brittle in the top end and had a lot more bass that flubbed out if you hit the input of the amp hard.

Can't comment on Marshall or Dumble stuff as I've never owned the real thing or clones of either.

Oh and I dislike Mesa based on my one truly bad experience with a Mesa amp (which I've heard is somewhat Dumble-esque?).
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

As far as I remember, Dumble tends to get very Fender-esque? I mean considering that Carlos Santana uses both Mesa and Dumble/its clone so makes sense that they sounds like over-driven Fender amps.

I know that lots of people who used Dumble are mostly Fender users like Larry Carlton or SRV.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I just thought that it's kinda convenient for practicing-at-the-home guy like me to have gain-y sound just in case I feel like I want to play one.
If you're an at home practicing guy methinks you're far better served investing into a good modeling multi-FX then laying down hundreds of $$$$ on a single pedal for a sound that has little to no connection to the Edge. Unless of course you know what sound is in your head and how you want to bring it out. And that sound of course is a dumble sound.

Quote:
This boutique amp business is very insane, though. I never fully understand the point, as Larry Carlton just sounds as good with cranked Tweed as he does in cranked Dumble.
Do not underestimate psychological phenomenons like confirmation bias. If you're convinced X will sound superior to Y chances are you will perceive it as such. Which is why any A/B test that isn't a blind test, where the listener doesn't know which is which beforehand, is basically useless.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I create this thread assuming that Overrated Special (funny name) from Way Huge was relatively cheap but realized that it's limited edition and not all that different from Green Rhino (pedal that I can totally buy).
Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

have you used any "boutique" amps, Muad'zin? I thought they were quite popular for last 2 or 3 years
Old 02-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
have you used any "boutique" amps, Muad'zin? I thought they were quite popular for last 2 or 3 years
2 or 3? Try 20 or 30. Ever since Matchless, Dr. Z and the Trainwreck
Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'zin View Post
Do not underestimate psychological phenomenons like confirmation bias. If you're convinced X will sound superior to Y chances are you will perceive it as such. Which is why any A/B test that isn't a blind test, where the listener doesn't know which is which beforehand, is basically useless.
For me it has less to do with sound. It has more to do with the reliability and ease of fixing handwired vs. PCB, better cab materials (solid vs. MDF), and the features (power scaling, effects loops, etc.). Also boutique amps are more aesthetically pleasing since they can be customized in the amp cabinet cover material to your specific liking. After having horrible luck with PCB amps, I'll never own one again.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

oooh right totally forgot about that. i should have said "resurgent" or something along those lines.

do Friedman amps count as boutique or is it just "one of those damn marshall mods"?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
oooh right totally forgot about that. i should have said "resurgent" or something along those lines.

do Friedman amps count as boutique or is it just "one of those damn marshall mods"?
If you've ever been to thegearpage, you'll know boutique amps aren't resurgent. They were just as popular 10 years ago as they are now.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 AM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
None at all. I've always used regular Fender amps and lately my quest has been to eliminate amps from my live rig altogether. I just hate hauling heavy amps along. Plus its really satisfying to put your pedal board on the ground and just plug directly into the mixing desk. Yeah, I'm pretty sure using solid state technology with cab sims does not equal the sound of a real tube amp being miked up, but I'm not really interested in chasing the perfect tone. I never really was. I'm more interested in sounds. In my opinion chasing tone detracts from writing interesting songs, whereas interesting sounds at least helps in writing interesting songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
If you've ever been to thegearpage, you'll know boutique amps aren't resurgent. They were just as popular 10 years ago as they are now.
If you value your sanity, Mack, don't go there. It's a silly place. Seriously though, don't go there, it's one of those forums that will easily consume most of your time.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'zin View Post

If you value your sanity, Mack, don't go there. It's a silly place. Seriously though, don't go there, it's one of those forums that will easily consume most of your time.
i considered joining that kind of forum (gearsluts and gear page) but I'm too lazy doing so.

kinda different topic, but the pedal I originally posted (Overrated Special) wasn't apparently not Dumble-in-a-box type of thing but it's just tweaked Green Rhino. well this whole conversation seems pointless now. it's apparently made with input of Joe Bonamassa, kinda opposite of Edge in terms of gear and play style. kinda makes sense that it has name of boutique amp as he's that kind of guy.

by the way, I love how progressive you are about the gear, Muad'zin. opposite of people in the comment section of Rig Rundown who are bitching about the existence of Axe-Fx/Kemper in most artists' gear.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I think the thing that keeps me from AxeFx and Kemper is that these things I could spend thousands of dollars on would be outdated in a year.