Drumming lessons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dizzy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've always wanted to learn how to play the drums...long before the Larry era . :D Anyway, so far, I've only come across one instructor (here in the DC/MD/VA) and he charges $35/hour, plus the commute is really far. Does anyone have an idea as to how much lessons should cost? Is $35/hr. normal or should I go look for someone else? I really wanna start banging on those drums. :eeklaugh:

I've been playing for 5 years now, and I'm still taking lessons (going to one tomorrow actually). You're never too good or too bad to take a lesson. Everyone needs to start somewhere and some of the world's most successful drummers still take lessons.

I take lessons from a great drummer for $15/Hour, it's a good deal for music lessons period from what I know and especially from such a great drummer as my teacher. Now whether or not $35 is too much I can't say, if it's worth it to you and he's a good teacher then go for it. If the price/time/commute is a bit steep for you, then don't worry. There is an endless amount of what you can learn on your own, you may not develop as fast but you can still learn much of the basics by yourself like I did. I didn't take a lesson until I had already been playing for 2-3 years. Shoot, I could even give you some tips or lessons online and show you some websites that have helpful info about drumming. Just tell me a bit about what your experience with drums are and if you're playing yet/if you have any equipment etc. I can help you along with some of the basics, but I need to know more about that in order to help you out better.

But good luck with everything and I can tell you that I've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours on drumming, and it's been woth every dollar and hour. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.

:)

Hey Johnny, thanks a lot for the advice. :) I actually don't have experience in playing the drums...at all. While the $35/hr deal is a bit expensive, I could try it for a few lessons, while searching for another instructor with a cheaper rate.

Anyway, the interesting thing is that the last few lines you said was exactly what this instructor said too. ;) All the $$$ he spent were worth it.

Back
Top Bottom