Does Bono use AutoTune?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meghan

Refugee
I've heard that just about every album made these days has used AutoTune somewhere on it to fix dud notes sung by the singer, and I was wondering how often (if at all) Bono uses AutoTune.

Anybody know?

Digital pitch correction is fairly new, so more than likely anything prior to POP has none. So I doubt there's much on newer albums, if he was able to go that long without.

it's usually fairly noticable. think of hoobastank's "the reason" when the lead singer hits the really high part at the end (and the reason is YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU)

Actually, do yourself a favour and dont think of the song. :barf:

Dorian Gray said:
it's usually fairly noticable. think of hoobastank's "the reason" when the lead singer hits the really high part at the end (and the reason is YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU)

Too late :tsk:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Digital pitch correction is fairly new, so more than likely anything prior to POP has none. So I doubt there's much on newer albums, if he was able to go that long without.
Ahhh. I knew it was a fairly recent development, but I didn't think it was that new. I was thinking more like 1990-ish, but that was just a guess.

Anyway, good to know most of the albums probably don't have pitch correction. :wave:

Havent Bono said in an interview that they never mix his voice durning the recording of the songs?

If something goes wrong they just record the part that went wrong again. Just listen to the live versions from HTDAAB, he sings them better live.

A thing that always make me think if its real or not, is the long "Free" note in Native Son. I can't imagine that they use any mixing on his voice, but that note is very long. Any expert who can answer on this?

Another question can auto-tuner be used on live shows?

:huh: Why mess with vocals in a live performance?

Besides, it's silly to expect (mostly) non-trained, pop/rock singers to hit every note all the time.

Dorian Gray said:

Ive used it when my band went in the studio.

If you sing something out of tune or badly no amount of trickery will sort it. However if your doing a backing vox for eg which is supposed to be quite smooth u can edit it very delicatley by using the auto tune to smooth out saving time.

Obviously if they over use it u could end up sounding like Cher but it effectivley a way of saving time and Ironing out "Slight" descrepencies with minium effot.

Most bands/producers use these

Peterrrrr said:
Havent Bono said in an interview that they never mix his voice durning the recording of the songs?

If something goes wrong they just record the part that went wrong again. Just listen to the live versions from HTDAAB, he sings them better live.

A thing that always make me think if its real or not, is the long "Free" note in Native Son. I can't imagine that they use any mixing on his voice, but that note is very long. Any expert who can answer on this?

?

Meghan said:

Ahhh. I knew it was a fairly recent development, but I didn't think it was that new. I was thinking more like 1990-ish, but that was just a guess.

Anyway, good to know most of the albums probably don't have pitch correction. :wave:

Came out in 97...

Peterrrrr said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'never mix his voice'. There are very very few artist who've never "punched" in a vocal here or there. They don't like a verse, chorus, or even just the enunciattion of a word, they can resing just that line or that word.

Peterrrrr said:

Reverb will cover any scratch or flutter of the note, but that's about it, from what I can tell.

Peterrrrr said:

It's possible, but you would have to have a great soundboard man, but I could be wrong about this.

U2girl said:
:huh: Why mess with vocals in a live performance?

Besides, it's silly to expect (mostly) non-trained, pop/rock singers to hit every note all the time.
It's very very common for artists to re-do parts of 'live' recordings. Everyone has a different preference, but folks like Neil Young have re-recorded the chorus vocals for most live cuts on an individual album or added additional backing vocals to get a better sound.

U2 did quite a bit of studio magic on the 'live' tracks from Rattle and Hum. The biggest offender is probably the guitar from Watchtower though, not the vocals.

I'm sure artists do it, I'm just saying let it be all live if you're playing live.

I know U2 likes to "clean up" their DVDs. It's not like a messed up note will take anything away from it... :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom