Does anyone here play more than one instrument?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
I've been playing drums for almost 5 years now. Lately I've been considering picking up another instrument or 2. I've thought about the guitar, the piano and the harmonica. Of the 3 I know the least about the harmonica, does anyone here actually play one?

I've played the trumpet since 4th grade...the guitar for almost 3 years...and I'm learning piano since I've come to college, so about 4 or 5 months. I know you buy harmnicas in the key that you want and just wail away....I think you can also buy a chromatic harp but that must be hell to play.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

I play geetar,harmonica,piano and some Drooms!!

------------------
"Master of sexual innuendo"

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

The only instrument I'm really proficient at is piano (been playing 11 years), but I'm almost decent at guitar
wink.gif
. I can do rhythm and fingerpicking - I've yet to try an electric, though.

I can do violin and viola. I ca play piano but it takes me FOREVER to read the music and whatnot, so I'm really bad. I can play a few things on cello too. The cello was learned out of boredom when the orchestra I toured Europe with was marrooned in the Italian Alps for a day and we had NOTHING to do. good times.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

You're a victim of your parents.

Judoooooooo Chop!

I can't play any instruments. I'm just a singer.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, harmonica, and I sing. I also write music. I have taught myself how to do all of them, and I must say, I have done quite well. I have recorded a few solo songs of just me playing all of the instruments, they have turned out very well.

lyrictician

I play the piano, bells (glockenspiel), and various percussion instruments (timpani, wood blocks lol).

Dont get me started! I love to brag about what I can play. Here goes:
I play Clarinet (the only instrument I've been taught how to play), Tenor sax, ocarina, guitar, bass guitar, double bass, violin, harmonice, drums, percussion, latin percussion, trumpet, spoons, keyboard, recorder, french horn, tin whistle, but guess what? I cant sing to save my life.

DRUMS!!!! It's all about drums!!!
I play guitar(badly) and sing (OK), my husband plays bass (extremely well) and owns a PA and van, my middle son is playing very good blues guitars these days(he still prefers metal, but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em) My youngest son has a gift and won't use it.....YET. He has the most beautiful long fingers and picks up a tune on the guitar in an instant.
But what we really need is a drummer (need as in want, to fulfil my dream of a family band....hub's worst nightmare!!!:evil: )
So I have a hankering for a drum kit...BAD!!!I have nowhere to set it up and no money to buy it...minor detail:laugh:
There was a Ludwig kit, blood red, 2nd hand in the newspaper yesterday:heart: me want drums.

I think piano/keyboard would be a great instrument to learn JS. So versatile.Hub repairs instruments and equipment for the local high schools(steady work, some kids are born vandals it seems)So I usually have me a little go of whatever crosses his bench. Yamaha clavinova this week, they are nice.

Hub has played with a couple of very talented harmonica/harp players over the years.Great instrument, as long as you can find their off button and they don't overplay( harp plaers seem slightly prone to that:D)After a show, hub would be still packing up all his huge gear and risking getting a hernia,while the harmonica player would be out the door with his little case of harmonicas and off to a party in no time.
We have an annual east Coast Blues Festival near here. It is becoming a huge event. They now have a harmonica playing contest attached to it. Wild. see ya there some day JS, have fun

i play:
bass guitar (mainly coz i can't play chords!!!)
violin
tin whistle
recorder
clarinet
kindsa piano...not very good
sing
keyboard.....and the list goes on.....i really wanna play harmonica and i have a really nice one but i can't....it's supposed to be quite easy but i can't play it at all...how does that work???

Guitar is my love..I will marry my guitar

I can manage on bass
I took drum lessons for a year
I took saxaphone lessons for a long while, but I've mostly forgotten that

my dream is to learn piaon...who will teach me?

That Ludwig is still in the newspaper for sale, can't afford it

but I talked about it with the family We decided we would all save and buy a much cheaper basic kit as a family Christmas present (that and TTT, wonderful, but no time for fainting today:D )

as per usual father and son #2, thought right, she's committed to spending $$$, so it will happen and as per usual, they made a decision without me...soooooooooooo
What am I getting a share in? I have no idea. I don't think it sounds near as much fun as a drum kit, maybe I should learn harmonica too....lol, lotsa wind, well not really, not anymore....hmm may be a great idea, lung exercise, may be on to something there.
anyway we get Venue Music catalogues throught the post( damn things) full of temptation. The Zoom PS-02 Digital recorders are half price at the moment, so apparently that is what we are getting...hmmmm, I like my acoustic instruments...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Funny when the drum kit decision was made, it was the younger one who was most likely to get into it, so it was going into his room. I said he doesn't need cupboards and drawers anyway, he rarely puts his clothes away. Mount Washing Tonne in the corner:tsk:

yes learn an instrument....ohhh I'd like to tell you some didgeridoo news...innovative....later. :wave:

Re: That Ludwig is still in the newspaper for sale, can't afford it

cass said:
but I talked about it with the family We decided we would all save and buy a much cheaper basic kit as a family Christmas present (that and TTT, wonderful, but no time for fainting today:D )

as per usual father and son #2, thought right, she's committed to spending $$$, so it will happen and as per usual, they made a decision without me...soooooooooooo
What am I getting a share in? I have no idea. I don't think it sounds near as much fun as a drum kit, maybe I should learn harmonica too....lol, lotsa wind, well not really, not anymore....hmm may be a great idea, lung exercise, may be on to something there.
anyway we get Venue Music catalogues throught the post( damn things) full of temptation. The Zoom PS-02 Digital recorders are half price at the moment, so apparently that is what we are getting...hmmmm, I like my acoustic instruments...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Funny when the drum kit decision was made, it was the younger one who was most likely to get into it, so it was going into his room. I said he doesn't need cupboards and drawers anyway, he rarely puts his clothes away. Mount Washing Tonne in the corner:tsk:

yes learn an instrument....ohhh I'd like to tell you some didgeridoo news...innovative....later. :wave:

Ludwig is cool, but try Gretsch too.

I play piano, keys, program computers and samplers, rap sometimes and did a little of saxophone. I am the bongo man, too. ;)

Basstrap said:
my dream is to learn piaon...who will teach me?

If you teach me how to play a strat or a tele fluently. I just can?t seem to manage to control the strings with my acoustic and it takes a lot of time, and there is no rhythm because I always have to search for the position with each and every finger.

Last edited:
The Ludwig is still for sale...it's still $1400,and in view of the fact my car died yesterday, it's even further out of my range.( I now know what the bang and clatter was, not an angel hitting the ground, but a timing chain grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
But....someone at the soccer presentation on Sunday said their son bought a new kit and if they can find his old one(been left at numerous parties, nothing flash AT ALL) we can borrow it.

Son #2 had his Year 11 music performance exam yesterday. He played the Stevie Ray Vaughn version of Little Wing:heart: (my blue-eyed boy:angel: ) When he got home the PS_02 had arrived through the mail...it is tiny.
But he was awake before dawn this morning and I could tell by the grin he was wearing, from ear to ear, that he is happy with it. It's his birthday soon, he's earned it.
Now I just have to learn to drive the thing...and not drop it!!

EAT DRUMS!!! I was listening to ATYCLB the other day, trying to hear what people Don't like about it. Perplexing...one thing was reaffirmed for me though....Larry Mullen Jr is a shithot drummer, I SO:heart: :heart: :heart: his feel...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

bit of mouth to mouth AND the daily news!!!

New big idea.
The Ludwig was in the newspaper for weeks but it finally disappeared. No one is into the "we need a drummer idea" anyway.
New goodies in today's for sale to make me wonder...
Jordan Les Paul style,ash black with gold trim:tongue: Peavey transtube amp, pedals , case , leads $950.
I want it all and I want it NOW.
it ain't much I'm asking?(sorry Freddie)

and just below the geetar, Bellings walnut piano. My mother's piano is walnut, I love that wood. Whereas above it is an exercise bike for $25...not quite as much fun, but more realistic.
"tell'em they're dreamin' son.."

Just have to say(you know me:|) Son#2 really wants to be in a band, he plays ALL the time, self-taught with Guitar Player magazine tab and CD's mainly . Oh I hope he doesn't read this, but he must know in himself. He hasn't got good timing, he struggles. His younger brother has just started to get into the guitar a lot more and he rips..he's starting to seem like a natural. That's a bit sad really for the other one.
He has other talents though. A big tallowood tree fell down in a storm here recently. We have cut a slab from it to see how it behaves as it dries( it is warping a bit). If it proves to be Ok, he is going to make a flying vee. He and his dad have been eyeing this piece of red cedar I have had for years hoping to make a table one day. I think it is too soft for a guitar, but hey think it would be OK. I may give it to him. He has to design make a piece of furniture for his HSC. They won't let him make a guitar, they said it is not difficult enough.
sorry cass rave
just dreamin' out loud...i can hardly afford strings, and I only play in fits and bursts:wave:

I just thought of something really funny.....no , behave.

so you are suggesting

I take up the harmonica?

That is One hell of an idea!!:yes:
The young man that won the East Coast Bluesfest harp blowing competition, has joined Airborne Blues Virus a local band He rips... he's inspirational, he teaches.
He wears his collection of harps in a specailly made belt around his hips...bit like a cowboy. "JuzzY" Justine Smith...I hope you hear of him one day....or maybe even me!!j/k
Keep your ears out for the Black Velvet Band....:lol:

PS: I am not buying any instruments, just dreaming

Although I inspired a woman recently and have been inquiring about celtic harps. I have found a teacher for her young daughter and harps start at about $400. ouch!! beautiful and worth it though.

We've been together
a very long time you see,
music
music
and me
loveth it
my cup runneth over,
i hope yours does too
:wave:

the voice is my favourite instrument anyway...and FREE
...but it leaves you baby if you don't care for it.

Typos bloodyTYPOS
"his hips"......... not "hi ships" I HAD to correct that one :sad:

Last edited:
just to conclude this great ramblin opus

I have discovered my capo...I got new strings, dug out the capo hub gave me for my 40th b'day. it's like having a new instrument.
What I realised yesterday is my 2 youngest sons are both sharing my steel stringed guitar( they have electric and nylon classical) what we need is a simple cheap 2nd steel string. Much more realistic and affordable. My youngest son will be 14 next week. I would love to give him a guitar. he was picking the melody of "fields of God" yesterday. he has so much potential. I'm happy with a drum machine.
Just wanted to complete the tale...

theres' a guitar here in the window
I'd like to play before its sold
Nothing flashy, mint condition
great shape for one so old..

all these axes have their stories
of the gigs that they have seen
when this one played the first time
I was seventeen....

I got my first gui-tar when I was 14
Now I'm pushing :censored: :wink: and still wearing jeansI've learned 4 Kasey songs this week...and don't the boys love it!! :yuck: :barf: :lmao:
peace musiclovers, on earth

i play guitar. i wouldn't say i'm good at it. been playing for nearly 4 years constantly, but on and off for about 3 years before that as well. so, for about 4 years.

i try to sing and usually fail miserably (i was in school choir in high school and we had to do these final exams where we'd have to come up and perform something in a group or solo, and i didn't have any friends in choir, so i got stuck solo, and i brought my guitar for accompaniment and made sure i drowned out my voice well enough so that only someone within a 10 foot radius--the teacher, so i could get a grade--could hear me).

i don't play trumpet any more, but i did for about 2 years (5th and 6th grade).

i don't know whether i can say piano or not. i took lessons for a couple years when i was about 8, 9, 10 somehting like that...i have a mental block against reading music. so now i just kind of play bits and pieces of stuff that i'm listening to, or try to read oversimplified versions of stuff. like those "adult beginner" books, we've got a few of those that live in the piano bench. last summer i became obsessed with playing a basic version of scott joplin's "the entertainer" as well as some other things...it was fun. but i had a better time sitting around with headphones on and figuring out how to play the piano part of "october" than messing with the sheet music.

i want to learn how to play the bagpipes...i know that'll never happen, but i would LOVE to learn...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom