do they keep in time.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
The Fly
 
rattleandhumgir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Larry Mullen jr's lap ;)
Posts: 180
Local Time: 12:31 PM
do they keep in time....

does anyone know if U2 use a metronome while playing live? I know they use in-ear monitors..but do they use metronomes?
__________________

rattleandhumgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 07:31 PM
as far as I know no, Adam is the only one of U2 who really has some timing issues, but he uses Larry for that..
Larry has used click tracks in the past, but I don't thing he still uses them.
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
The_Edge89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweden Northwest of Dancing ZooTV
Posts: 4,069
Local Time: 06:31 PM
On the In-Ear Monitor bootlegs I've heard (which are all from the 2000's) I hear a (shaker) click-track running with a 1-2-3-4 count-in before each song.
I guess this means some band member use some kind of metronome to keep in time with the others these days.
Can't say for sure though.

EDIT: Ah, I didn't see Galeongirl's reply.
The_Edge89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 360
Local Time: 05:31 PM
99.9% of u2 songs these days are to a click or shakers as posted ...even with non backing tracks like IWF and SBS. Everything is tempo based for Edges delay. Only recent track I can think of without a click was Fast cars and that was more or less an experement on stage. Im pretty sure they all hear it as i have in ear recordings on Larry,Edge and Bono. Bono even has a voice for count ins like on One Tree Hill. He also has instruments in his in ears like Piano on Elevation . Ex he has the Whoo hoo. intro to Elevation notes on a piano so he can find the key easier as live its hard to hear the Kay Fuzztone. Interesting stuff to listen to

Mick
mick3b1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
The Fly
 
rattleandhumgir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Larry Mullen jr's lap ;)
Posts: 180
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3b1g View Post
99.9% of u2 songs these days are to a click or shakers as posted ...even with non backing tracks like IWF and SBS. Everything is tempo based for Edges delay. Only recent track I can think of without a click was Fast cars and that was more or less an experement on stage. Im pretty sure they all hear it as i have in ear recordings on Larry,Edge and Bono. Bono even has a voice for count ins like on One Tree Hill. He also has instruments in his in ears like Piano on Elevation . Ex he has the Whoo hoo. intro to Elevation notes on a piano so he can find the key easier as live its hard to hear the Kay Fuzztone. Interesting stuff to listen to

Mick

wow it must take ALOT of organising for U2's concerts (lights, cameras and the action) ....thats why they're the best Live band in the world..I wonder if they get sick of using the in-ear monitors



if it's no problem would you be able to send me some in ear recordings please
rattleandhumgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleandhumgir View Post
wow it must take ALOT of organising for U2's concerts (lights, cameras and the action) ....thats why they're the best Live band in the world..I wonder if they get sick of using the in-ear monitors



if it's no problem would you be able to send me some in ear recordings please

Sick of in ear monitors? They've mentioned them in interviews and how they have been a great thing. Bono and Edge will remove one ear every nopw and then... to hear the crowd and feel the vibe, as it were.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Refugee
 
Muad'zin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Posts: 1,381
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Since Edge's delays have to be in sync I can understand their need for a click track. After all, Edge doesn't use pedals with tap tempo but rack mounts with fixed preset times. And they're quite addictive as well. Our drummer's been using one and it has really improved our playing. No more rows over beginning to fast/to slow. No more speeding up/slowing down during songs. Plus my own delays are now finally in sync as well.
Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
discothequeLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,095
Local Time: 10:31 AM
the best part about using click tracks is being able to use backing tracks.
discothequeLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
Local Time: 05:31 PM
I'm sure that Mick is correct. It would be virtually impossible to be as accurate as they are night after night without a click of some sort to cue off of. Not to mention that some songs do have backing tracks playing.

As far as getting tired of IEMs, No way. If you have a good set and, most important, a great mix, it's WAY better than going without. With wedge mixes, as you move around the stage, your mix changes. For example there would be no way for Edge to stay in time with the band when he walks 100 ft away from his amp out on the heart. He'd be hearing his amp sound delayed by the long distance and throw off his timing. With IEMs it's always like standing right next to it.

The monitor engineer on a show that size and type will have IEMs just like the band and he'll switch off listening to each performers mix as he adjusts things all night. When done right it sounds like a perfectly mixed CD in your head.

My newest set of IEMs take care of the need to ever pull them out. They have tiny mics embedded into the earpieces and I can hear the audience/room ambience perfectly at any volume that I want.
Tgravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgravlin View Post
I'm sure that Mick is correct. It would be virtually impossible to be as accurate as they are night after night without a click of some sort to cue off of. Not to mention that some songs do have backing tracks playing.

As far as getting tired of IEMs, No way. If you have a good set and, most important, a great mix, it's WAY better than going without. With wedge mixes, as you move around the stage, your mix changes. For example there would be no way for Edge to stay in time with the band when he walks 100 ft away from his amp out on the heart. He'd be hearing his amp sound delayed by the long distance and throw off his timing. With IEMs it's always like standing right next to it.

The monitor engineer on a show that size and type will have IEMs just like the band and he'll switch off listening to each performers mix as he adjusts things all night. When done right it sounds like a perfectly mixed CD in your head.

My newest set of IEMs take care of the need to ever pull them out. They have tiny mics embedded into the earpieces and I can hear the audience/room ambience perfectly at any volume that I want.
interesting...any advice on purchasing a set of IEMs? I'm a drummer in a band, and I'd like to try them out...What are the most reliable kind? Or the best IEM's for the money? Any help is appreciated, thanks
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
interesting...any advice on purchasing a set of IEMs? I'm a drummer in a band, and I'd like to try them out...What are the most reliable kind? Or the best IEM's for the money? Any help is appreciated, thanks
It'll be hard to "try them out" since the good ones are custom molded for your ears. But If you've worked in a recording studio wearing headphones while playing, it'll be somewhat like that.

There are a few components to consider with an IEM system.

1) The mix. How will you get a mix that you're happy with? Does the mixer have enough Aux Sends to give you your own mix? Will you have time during soundcheck to get things adjusted? (typical clubs with 3-4 bands per night are plug in and play ... making this difficult). Some bands carry a split snake and their own mixer for IEMs so that the mix is the same (or nearly so) every night (as long as they don't mess with the knobs when you pack it up).

2) The transmitter. I use a sennheiser wireless. Shure makes some decent models too. Drummers can use a hardwired system (Shure makes this too). Do NOT use a simple headphone amp. Real IEM systems have limiters built in, so that things like a sudden feedback won't damage your hearing. It only takes once to harm you.

3) The earpiece. I've used Shure ($200), Ultimate ears ($850), and currently Sensaphonics ($2k). (I think U2 uses Futuresonics) Each upgrade cost more and was worth it to me. You definatly get what you pay for. Custom molded is better and more comfortable than generic fit types. (LOTS better!!)

My Sensaphonics are a new model called 3D ambient. They have tiny mics embedded in the custom molded earpieces. These are capable of hearing the stage normally or at any lower volume that I prefer (there's a knob for that). You then mix in whatever else you want using the regular IEM beltpack. These cost around $2K and only come in a custom molded model.

We just got back today from playing a couple of shows in California (so we worked with sound guys that are not our normal ones but they were very good). At the first show, the snake had a bad send on it, so I couldn't get a separate mix. The quick solution was to just give me a regular Wedge monitor mix that I could listen to normally and then I plugged just our click track into the IEM transmitter (bypassing the mixer entirely). I blended it to taste on my beltpack and it's on with the show. This isn't as easy to do with a regular IEM earpiece since it blocks so much outside sound.

Normally I'll have a couple of extra things in my ears like a small bit more of my guitar and my own voice etc. It's possible to turn things like your own vocal mic REALLY loud without feedback. So, you need to use restraint with the volume knob to not harm your hearing. It's also possible have things there that you wouldn't want anyone else to be able to hear .... count in cues, lyric reminders etc. We don't have anything like that ... but I've considered it.

Its common for professional monitor engineers to have a couple of ambient mics set up that they can blend into the IEM mix to allow the band to hear the crowd and such things. You sometimes see these set up pointing at the audience near the front of the stage at large concerts. The 3D ambients carry these mics around on the side of my head.

I hope that's a good start for you. Any more questions I'll be happy to help.
Tgravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleandhumgir View Post
wow it must take ALOT of organising for U2's concerts (lights, cameras and the action) ....thats why they're the best Live band in the world..I wonder if they get sick of using the in-ear monitors
it's also why it's not reasonable when people complain that they don't change their setlists enough. there's a lot more involved than just getting on stage and playing. too many backing tracks, etc. to prepare.
__________________
Utoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
tpsreports2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Let's hug it out, bitch.
Posts: 4,351
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Wait can someone please tell me how in-ears work??

I know you have them in your ear to a wireless transmitter, but where does the other end of the transmitter go to (amps, mixers and what not)
tpsreports2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsreports2424 View Post
Wait can someone please tell me how in-ears work??

I know you have them in your ear to a wireless transmitter, but where does the other end of the transmitter go to (amps, mixers and what not)
Actually the beltpack is a reciever. Opposite of a guitar wireless unit. The transmitter(s) is/are usually located on the side of the stage near the monitor mixer. The outputs on the mixer would go to the transmitter(s) instead of to the power amps that would drive the wedge monitors. (there aren't any monitor amps or wedge monitors anymore usually)
Tgravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
tpsreports2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Let's hug it out, bitch.
Posts: 4,351
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleandhumgir View Post
....thats why they're the best Live band in the world.
I am not dissing U2 because they are one of my favorite bands, but you are sadly mistaken
tpsreports2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 9,866
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Even bono hears the metronome on songs he doesn't play an instrument on (for the most part)
popacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
Acrobat
 
skott100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: san francisco
Posts: 334
Local Time: 10:31 AM
You can have my IEMs when you pry them out of my cold, dead.. uh... ears?

We use them and swear by them. Sound guys love us because they only need to check the house. Our monitor mix is controlled by us, on stage, and it's the same thing every night. Not sure I could ever go back. Especially for the backing track songs.
__________________

skott100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×