do they keep in time....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as far as I know no, Adam is the only one of U2 who really has some timing issues, but he uses Larry for that..
Larry has used click tracks in the past, but I don't thing he still uses them.

On the In-Ear Monitor bootlegs I've heard (which are all from the 2000's) I hear a (shaker) click-track running with a 1-2-3-4 count-in before each song.
I guess this means some band member use some kind of metronome to keep in time with the others these days.
Can't say for sure though.

EDIT: Ah, I didn't see Galeongirl's reply.

99.9% of u2 songs these days are to a click or shakers as posted ...even with non backing tracks like IWF and SBS. Everything is tempo based for Edges delay. Only recent track I can think of without a click was Fast cars and that was more or less an experement on stage. Im pretty sure they all hear it as i have in ear recordings on Larry,Edge and Bono. Bono even has a voice for count ins like on One Tree Hill. He also has instruments in his in ears like Piano on Elevation . Ex he has the Whoo hoo. intro to Elevation notes on a piano so he can find the key easier as live its hard to hear the Kay Fuzztone. Interesting stuff to listen to

Mick

99.9% of u2 songs these days are to a click or shakers as posted ...even with non backing tracks like IWF and SBS. Everything is tempo based for Edges delay. Only recent track I can think of without a click was Fast cars and that was more or less an experement on stage. Im pretty sure they all hear it as i have in ear recordings on Larry,Edge and Bono. Bono even has a voice for count ins like on One Tree Hill. He also has instruments in his in ears like Piano on Elevation . Ex he has the Whoo hoo. intro to Elevation notes on a piano so he can find the key easier as live its hard to hear the Kay Fuzztone. Interesting stuff to listen to

Mick

wow it must take ALOT of organising for U2's concerts (lights, cameras and the action) ....thats why they're the best Live band in the world..I wonder if they get sick of using the in-ear monitors

if it's no problem would you be able to send me some in ear recordings please

wow it must take ALOT of organising for U2's concerts (lights, cameras and the action) ....thats why they're the best Live band in the world..I wonder if they get sick of using the in-ear monitors

if it's no problem would you be able to send me some in ear recordings please

Sick of in ear monitors? They've mentioned them in interviews and how they have been a great thing. Bono and Edge will remove one ear every nopw and then... to hear the crowd and feel the vibe, as it were.

Since Edge's delays have to be in sync I can understand their need for a click track. After all, Edge doesn't use pedals with tap tempo but rack mounts with fixed preset times. And they're quite addictive as well. Our drummer's been using one and it has really improved our playing. No more rows over beginning to fast/to slow. No more speeding up/slowing down during songs. Plus my own delays are now finally in sync as well.

I'm sure that Mick is correct. It would be virtually impossible to be as accurate as they are night after night without a click of some sort to cue off of. Not to mention that some songs do have backing tracks playing.

As far as getting tired of IEMs, No way. If you have a good set and, most important, a great mix, it's WAY better than going without. With wedge mixes, as you move around the stage, your mix changes. For example there would be no way for Edge to stay in time with the band when he walks 100 ft away from his amp out on the heart. He'd be hearing his amp sound delayed by the long distance and throw off his timing. With IEMs it's always like standing right next to it.

The monitor engineer on a show that size and type will have IEMs just like the band and he'll switch off listening to each performers mix as he adjusts things all night. When done right it sounds like a perfectly mixed CD in your head.

My newest set of IEMs take care of the need to ever pull them out. They have tiny mics embedded into the earpieces and I can hear the audience/room ambience perfectly at any volume that I want.

I'm sure that Mick is correct. It would be virtually impossible to be as accurate as they are night after night without a click of some sort to cue off of. Not to mention that some songs do have backing tracks playing.

As far as getting tired of IEMs, No way. If you have a good set and, most important, a great mix, it's WAY better than going without. With wedge mixes, as you move around the stage, your mix changes. For example there would be no way for Edge to stay in time with the band when he walks 100 ft away from his amp out on the heart. He'd be hearing his amp sound delayed by the long distance and throw off his timing. With IEMs it's always like standing right next to it.

The monitor engineer on a show that size and type will have IEMs just like the band and he'll switch off listening to each performers mix as he adjusts things all night. When done right it sounds like a perfectly mixed CD in your head.

My newest set of IEMs take care of the need to ever pull them out. They have tiny mics embedded into the earpieces and I can hear the audience/room ambience perfectly at any volume that I want.

interesting...any advice on purchasing a set of IEMs? I'm a drummer in a band, and I'd like to try them out...What are the most reliable kind? Or the best IEM's for the money? Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

interesting...any advice on purchasing a set of IEMs? I'm a drummer in a band, and I'd like to try them out...What are the most reliable kind? Or the best IEM's for the money? Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

It'll be hard to "try them out" since the good ones are custom molded for your ears. But If you've worked in a recording studio wearing headphones while playing, it'll be somewhat like that.

There are a few components to consider with an IEM system.

1) The mix. How will you get a mix that you're happy with? Does the mixer have enough Aux Sends to give you your own mix? Will you have time during soundcheck to get things adjusted? (typical clubs with 3-4 bands per night are plug in and play ... making this difficult). Some bands carry a split snake and their own mixer for IEMs so that the mix is the same (or nearly so) every night (as long as they don't mess with the knobs when you pack it up).

2) The transmitter. I use a sennheiser wireless. Shure makes some decent models too. Drummers can use a hardwired system (Shure makes this too). Do NOT use a simple headphone amp. Real IEM systems have limiters built in, so that things like a sudden feedback won't damage your hearing. It only takes once to harm you.

3) The earpiece. I've used Shure ($200), Ultimate ears ($850), and currently Sensaphonics ($2k). (I think U2 uses Futuresonics) Each upgrade cost more and was worth it to me. You definatly get what you pay for. Custom molded is better and more comfortable than generic fit types. (LOTS better!!)

My Sensaphonics are a new model called 3D ambient. They have tiny mics embedded in the custom molded earpieces. These are capable of hearing the stage normally or at any lower volume that I prefer (there's a knob for that). You then mix in whatever else you want using the regular IEM beltpack. These cost around $2K and only come in a custom molded model.

We just got back today from playing a couple of shows in California (so we worked with sound guys that are not our normal ones but they were very good). At the first show, the snake had a bad send on it, so I couldn't get a separate mix. The quick solution was to just give me a regular Wedge monitor mix that I could listen to normally and then I plugged just our click track into the IEM transmitter (bypassing the mixer entirely). I blended it to taste on my beltpack and it's on with the show. This isn't as easy to do with a regular IEM earpiece since it blocks so much outside sound.

Normally I'll have a couple of extra things in my ears like a small bit more of my guitar and my own voice etc. It's possible to turn things like your own vocal mic REALLY loud without feedback. So, you need to use restraint with the volume knob to not harm your hearing. It's also possible have things there that you wouldn't want anyone else to be able to hear .... count in cues, lyric reminders etc. We don't have anything like that ... but I've considered it.

Its common for professional monitor engineers to have a couple of ambient mics set up that they can blend into the IEM mix to allow the band to hear the crowd and such things. You sometimes see these set up pointing at the audience near the front of the stage at large concerts. The 3D ambients carry these mics around on the side of my head.

I hope that's a good start for you. Any more questions I'll be happy to help.

it's also why it's not reasonable when people complain that they don't change their setlists enough. there's a lot more involved than just getting on stage and playing. too many backing tracks, etc. to prepare.

Wait can someone please tell me how in-ears work??

I know you have them in your ear to a wireless transmitter, but where does the other end of the transmitter go to (amps, mixers and what not)

Wait can someone please tell me how in-ears work??

I know you have them in your ear to a wireless transmitter, but where does the other end of the transmitter go to (amps, mixers and what not)

Actually the beltpack is a reciever. Opposite of a guitar wireless unit. The transmitter(s) is/are usually located on the side of the stage near the monitor mixer. The outputs on the mixer would go to the transmitter(s) instead of to the power amps that would drive the wedge monitors. (there aren't any monitor amps or wedge monitors anymore usually)

Even bono hears the metronome on songs he doesn't play an instrument on (for the most part)

You can have my IEMs when you pry them out of my cold, dead.. uh... ears?

We use them and swear by them. Sound guys love us because they only need to check the house. Our monitor mix is controlled by us, on stage, and it's the same thing every night. Not sure I could ever go back. Especially for the backing track songs.

Back
Top Bottom