DM4 screamer versus the real thing - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:40 PM
DM4 screamer versus the real thing

So, this question goes out to all the audiophiles out there. Is there a big difference between an original vintage Ibanez Tube Screamer (I mean a good Japanese version with the good chip) with that of the Screamer model on the DM4? Just curious on why Edge appears to prefer the pedal over the DM4's model. I have not bought one (yet) or ever used one. Additionally, I've been told that I'm best sticking with the DM4 model over one of the Taiwan TS9 reissues.

Ibanez Tube Screamer History (this probably answers my question but thought I'd tap the Edge-a-like folks for your experiences).

ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewen View Post
So, this question goes out to all the audiophiles out there. Is there a big difference between an original vintage Ibanez Tube Screamer (I mean a good Japanese version with the good chip) with that of the Screamer model on the DM4? Just curious on why Edge appears to prefer the pedal over the DM4's model. I have not bought one (yet) or ever used one. Additionally, I've been told that I'm best sticking with the DM4 model over one of the Taiwan TS9 reissues.

Ibanez Tube Screamer History (this probably answers my question but thought I'd tap the Edge-a-like folks for your experiences).

The Edge has a Line 6 DM4 and the custom-built (for The Edge only) DM4 Pro rack version.

Per the Music Radar online article from October 2009, the Ibanez TS-9 isn't in The Edge's setup.

U2 Exclusive: The Edge's stage setup revealed | MusicRadar.com

The Ibanez TS-9 is a great pedal. Many other overdrive pedals try to emulate 'that' warm "Tubescreamer" sound. The Visual Sound Route 66 (lovely overdrive, by the way) touts their pedal as sounding like a Tubescreamer. For the most part it does and as mention, lovely pedal.

All of that said... the DM4 retails for $250.00 For double that you can get a Line 6 M13 and have TONS more effects. (EQs, Compressors, Delays, Overdrives, Modulation effects... OD's [including TS9] etc). And equally, for $500.00, you can get the Line 6 HD500 that has all that the M13 does PLUS amp models and a built in expression pedal.

So it might be worth getting a M13 and better, a HD500.

All of that said: Which is better the TS9 or DM4? Play them side by side and judge for yourself. The original is usually better. But the digital modelling stuff (like made by Line 6) has come a long way since 2000.

Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
The Edge has a Line 6 DM4 and the custom-built (for The Edge only) DM4 Pro rack version.

Per the Music Radar online article from October 2009, the Ibanez TS-9 isn't in The Edge's setup.

U2 Exclusive: The Edge's stage setup revealed | MusicRadar.com

The Ibanez TS-9 is a great pedal. Many other overdrive pedals try to emulate 'that' warm "Tubescreamer" sound. The Visual Sound Route 66 (lovely overdrive, by the way) touts their pedal as sounding like a Tubescreamer. For the most part it does and as mention, lovely pedal.

All of that said... the DM4 retails for $250.00 For double that you can get a Line 6 M13 and have TONS more effects. (EQs, Compressors, Delays, Overdrives, Modulation effects... OD's [including TS9] etc). And equally, for $500.00, you can get the Line 6 HD500 that has all that the M13 does PLUS amp models and a built in expression pedal.

So it might be worth getting a M13 and better, a HD500.

All of that said: Which is better the TS9 or DM4? Play them side by side and judge for yourself. The original is usually better. But the digital modelling stuff (like made by Line 6) has come a long way since 2000.
Thanks for your opinion, I had believed that he was still using the TS9 for some of the early songs and Beautiful Day. Perhaps not and dropped it from the rig in preference for the DM4.

I already have a DM4 and it's on my rack, custom modified so that I can select its presets from my MIDI foot controller (oh yes - great mod that one ). Personally, I'm fine with the screamer model on it and was just wondering why Edge may have been using a TS9 pedal...but perhaps you are right and isn't anymore.

As for playing them side to side, it's difficult to do that without buying one hence asking for anyone's opinions on sound differences. I'm not referring to the new reissues, I'm talking about the vintage one and they're not cheap.
ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion, I had believed that he was still using the TS9 for some of the early songs and Beautiful Day. Perhaps not and dropped it from the rig in preference for the DM4.

I already have a DM4 and it's on my rack, custom modified so that I can select its presets from my MIDI foot controller (oh yes - great mod that one ). Personally, I'm fine with the screamer model on it and was just wondering why Edge may have been using a TS9 pedal...but perhaps you are right and isn't anymore.

As for playing them side to side, it's difficult to do that without buying one hence asking for anyone's opinions on sound differences. I'm not referring to the new reissues, I'm talking about the vintage one and they're not cheap.
You are correct, in that the TS-9 was the main OD for Elevation and Vertigo tours.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Fan & Taper

Local Time: 07:40 PM
I bought a Keeley Modified TS-9DX from a co-worker, who upgraded to a vintage TS9 that was also modified by Keeley...I love it, but at $279 (keeley price for my model) it's a bit much for a distortion/overdrive.

More info here...

Robert Keeley Electronics: TS9DX FLEXI-4X2
Chrisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:

Hey. Have you got a Rackmount DM4¿ Did you that¿
Rockhound252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound252 View Post
Hey. Have you got a Rackmount DM4¿ Did you that¿

I think Ewen means ON his rack (Like Edge has one on top), not IN his rack (as in a rackmountversion).
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
War Child

i repeat what he said:

I already have a DM4 and it's on my rack, custom modified so that I can select its presets from my MIDI foot controller
Rockhound252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Babyface

All these boutique pedals are so overpriced... And don't believe all that mojo bla bla about old vintage japanese TS, certain IC's etc. It's basically bullshit. But it's a fact that a real analog TS-9 will sound and -more important- react different than a digital modeling pedal. I don't say "better", only different. My ears say that many of the overdrive sounds during the 360 tour where based on a real analog TS-9. But you needn't spend some hundred bucks for a Keeley or a vintage Ibanez. Get a good clone, it will sound identical, as the circuit IS identical. uk-electronic.de makes a very good version, but tell Uwe that you want a TS-9, not the TS-808 (only two resistor values are different...). Also a very good choice: Digitech Hardwire, or even cheaper: Bad Monkey. The Edge uses some pedals that aren't visible on stage. For example, there's always his old Big Muff on top of his rack, but I know first hand that he has some modern hand-made clones of this pedal, with slightly different parts values. (I know the guy who built some of these pedals, amongst them a modern version of the Univox Superfuzz...). I built an exact clone of Edges Big Muff, powered at 12V, as he does it. And this pedal really sings, it's different from any stock Big Muff I've ever heard. This brought me to the idea to clone some more of the pedals, that Edge has used. I'm just working on a double OD with TS-9 and SD-1 (to replace my TS808 clone...), and a FA-1 booster. And an old Guyatone Distortion that Edge might have used in the early 80ies. All of this isn't needed at all to get good sounds that are "close enough", but it's really fun to have all that stuff that one of my first guitar heroes has - and to know that the clones might be a tad better, because most of the parts are higher quality and they are selected by hand...

roseblood11 is offline   Reply With Quote