Discotheque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovetone Big Cheese is the nasty fuzz sound and an integral part of the sound. Don't expect to find one below 400USD (if you're lucky!).

The rest is the typical delays (especially during the middle eight + shimmer), so probably the TC's2290 live (Korg SDD's maybe studio) and for shimmer, as always, the AMS.

That's a good few thousand dollars I just summed up. :)

Any other way to get something similar? :)

There are Big Cheese clones, called Chunky Cheese (somewhere around 100-150USD), which are quite good! If you have the DM4 by any chance, you might as well try one of the octave fuzz settings and turn the treble on max and bass very low, so you get that buzzy sound that the Lovetone can produce. In the end, you'll need a fuzz and tweaking to get close to the Big Cheese sound.

Delays: Obviously, any delay with modulation will do. I guess the first effect any U2/Edge fan has, is a delay pedal, so I'm not gonna bother you w/ recommendations there. :)

Shimmer: The Line6 Verbzilla is one of the popular cheap options for shimmer (Behringer RV600 is even cheaper), but as everywhere you get what you pay for. There are some good rack and stompbox reverbs w/ shimmer, obviously depends on what your budget is.
A shimmer stompbox that's very good is the Strymon blueSky Reverberator: Costs nearly twice as the Verbzilla, but sounds much smoother. Check out the vid:
YouTube - Strymon blueSky Reverberator - Plate Shimmer Demo

Back
Top Bottom