DigiTech Whammy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have the chance to pick up a WH-2 for around $200. Now I know it's nothing like the WH-1 (IVL chip isn't there anymore), but I've heard good enough reviews about it, especially in comparison to the most recent WH-4!

Anyone try both or maybe even all three (WH-1, 2 and 4) and can give me some feedback or if it's worth buying? Would be greatly appreciated.

I know Edge even tried some during the first popmart shows, but wasn't satisfied with the sound, so he changed back to the WH-1.

I've heard some naysayers argue "No difference". Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave) and The Edge have both said that there is a differnce in tone.

The difference being that the WH-1 has a 16-bit chip. The WH-4 has a 24-bit chip. 24 = cleaner, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Morello and Edge like the grit of the 16-bit WH-1 original.

I worked with a tribute for a while. The guitarist had a WH-4 (current reissue). His Whammy had calibration errors and we couldnt fix it. I loaned him my WH-1 for the next gig. He was quick to say HUGE difference in tone.

You can 'get by' with a WH-4 reissue. But I find that sometimes (most times) it's better to wait, save the money, and get the right tool and not merely one that is close or sort of close.

You and your bank account will have to make that choice for yourselves.

Cheers, but what about the WH-2? That's what I'm actually looking at!

Per Dallas, Edge tried a WH-2 and didn't like it. WH-1 is king.

Seems that the WH-2 is dirtier than the WH-4. So if money is the issue... But the WH-1 still sounds best to me.

Digitech Whammy Pedal. Version Two And Four. - YouTube

WH-1 vs WH-4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs5QG_B78BI&feature=related

Some of the comments insist no diffience or marginal. But the WH-1 has a grittier tone and is a bit thicker. Far more musical and pleasing.

But let your ears be the judge.

Some of the comments insist no diffience or marginal. But the WH-1 has a grittier tone and is a bit thicker. Far more musical and pleasing.

But let your ears be the judge.

Absolutely agree that the WH-2 sounds a bit dirtier (not comparable to the WH-1 though), the comments I've read about WH-2 were all also in the direction that it's like the WH-1 but a) controlling it is a b*** because of the input level and b) it doesn't sustain as well as the WH-1 and starts to wobble, whereas the WH-1 smoothened it out.

Either way, I'll probably have a shot at it. WH-4 really sounds way too smooth and clean, but that's nothing new.

On a side note:
Seriously, WHO works at these places (eg Digitech, Korg). They're ANYTHING but actual business people because they'd notice the massive demand for reissues of things like the WH-1 or Korg SDD's. Mint WH-1's go for 1000 bucks nowadays on eBay and Korg SDD3000 aren't very far behind that. That's absolutely crazy.

...oh, and a second amusing story: A guy I know (not very close) bought a NOS WH-1 in 2007 in some local shop for the laughable price of USD320!!! The thing was completely new and tight packaged. The owner told him someone ordered it back in the 90's but never picked it up, the thing's been dusting off in the corner for over 15 years.

Talk about luck. :shocked:

This might help (video below). Not sure if the Whammy II recalibrates the same way but give it a shot.

Digitech Whammy Pedal Calibration - YouTube

Got the WH-II today, ridiculous fun. It does sound pretty dirty, but as mentioned/critiqued on the net: Tracking really is an issue, it doesn't sustain enough and starts to go to all different places. Still, the sound is pretty good compared to the WH-IV.

Cheers E_O! I tried it (there isn't any info on the web really, unfortunately, I might need to write Digitech) and I have no idea what i did really except keep the bypass button a couple times and puch the pedal front and back. Nonetheless I think it got better, especially the sustain.

Generally, it cannot handle chords well, but that I knew beforehand as well. Either way, some day it'll make way for the WH-1 hopefully :)

I've had a Whammy for about a year now, incredibly fun pedal with lots of cool tricks. Unfortunately it doesn't play nice with some of my other pedals and like mirrorballman said it doesn't handle chords very well, but apart from that it's a great pedal, quite useful when playing U2 songs like EBTTRL, Gone, The Fly, etc.

"Love and Peace"? Which part?

I do not recall Edge using it for "Love and Peace".

But here are a few other uses that Edge employed the WH-1 that have not been mentioned.

Per page: 107 of the January 2001 Guitar Player article:

Edge used the WH-1 on "Peace On Earth"; set at a 5th below and a 4th above. This was a different use for Edge, as most of his previous WH-1 use was to shift up an octave or two.

In addition, Edge used on "When I Look At The World" in the middle solo and with an echo in the chorus.

It also sounds like a bit of WH-1 in "United Colours" "One Minute Warning" - deep in the mix - from the Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 album.

No... The fly is the wah. Whammy is also used in HMTMKMKM, Magnificent, sometimes, love and peace, etc

Magnificent intro is surely Whammy + Synth Wah + some distortion/fuzz. But I just cannot nail that sound, mostly because the synth wah makes that "shooting noise" far too often. You hear it in GOYB, but not in the Magnificent intro, have no idea how the Edge might do that one.

Also, is he striking a big E Chord or just the upper string?

"Bad" - Live during some of the June 1992 ZooTV Europe shows. (Rotterdam and Stockholm come to mind.
"Even Better Than The Real Thing" (Achtung Baby)
"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me" (Batman soundtrack)
"United Colours" (Passengers)
"One Minute Warning" (Passengers)
"Mofo" (Pop)
"Gone" (Pop)
"Beautiful Day" (All That You Can't Leave Behind)
"Peace On Earth" (All That You Can't Leave Behind)
"When I Look At The World" (All That You Can't Leave Behind)
"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb)
"Love and Peace or Else" (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb)
"Magnificent" (No Line On The Horizon)

What settings does Edge place on his Whammy for SYCMIOYO? I know the Ric plays a big part in the sound for that song. It sound like there's even some pitch shift from another unit (other than the Whammy). I've always thought he used a ton of effects for SYCMIOYO but I've never been so sure how he got that magical, bright sound.

What settings does Edge place on his Whammy for SYCMIOYO? I know the Ric plays a big part in the sound for that song. It sound like there's even some pitch shift from another unit (other than the Whammy). I've always thought he used a ton of effects for SYCMIOYO but I've never been so sure how he got that magical, bright sound.

Could use the whammy. Could be done with harmonizer too.

Don't forget there's also shimmer in the chorus! That's what makes it very bright and rich.

Back
Top Bottom