Difference POG2 / Micro POG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2-Experience

Babyface
Hey guys,

after trying for months to emulate the verse sound of Magnificent
with the HD500 I'm at the point to buy a POG.
The result with HD500 is ok but I'm too picky to be satisfied with it.
To me it's impossible to archive the right sound.

Ok, there is a Micro POG which is only half the price of the POG2.
The POG2 has by far more options but the question is what do I need for THE sound. I would use it for Magnificent and later for Boots too.

Has anyone tried one of them? or both?

Thanks
Alex

PS: We have a new website. Maybe visit us there?
The Ultimate U2 Show - U2 Experience from Germany....

POG and POG 2 have more versatility than the MicroPog.

Your best bet is to try both in a store and judge with your own ears.

This!

Finding a POG might not be as easy though nowadays as they're "officially" out of stock since 2008 (POG2 is the new thing obviously). Nonetheless I was able to buy a new one in June, so depends on what store you go to...

POG vs POG 2 you'll read lots of arguments online. To sum up:

POG --> larger (I find it a little louder/nastier because of the bigger chassis + also because of the different voltage), has seperate detunes
POG 2--> smaller + has presets and MIDI if I'm not mistaken.

Just to name a few. Either way --> A great buy!

It sounds more like the question is about the POG vs the MICRO-POG? I don't think that the MICRO-POG is going to sound like the POG or POG 2. Micro Pog has less parameters to program.

• POG is no longer made. You can find them second hand.
  • POG 2. I hear it's great. Seems as versatile as the POG. Not sure if it sounds exactly like the POG
  • MICRO-POG. Doesn't have multiple parameters so it isn't as versatile. Only has Dry - Suboctave and Octave up. Those are the parameters of the first (3) sliders on the POG. But the Micro Pog DOESN'T have: + 1 Octave Detuned, + 2 Octaves Detunes or + 2 Octaves paramaters.

POG
17480-electro-harmonix-pog-large.jpg

POG 2
POG2.jpg

MICROPOG
lg_micro_pog.jpg

This!

Finding a POG might not be as easy though nowadays as they're "officially" out of stock since 2008 (POG2 is the new thing obviously). Nonetheless I was able to buy a new one in June, so depends on what store you go to...

POG --> larger (I find it a little louder/nastier because of the bigger chassis + also because of the different voltage), has seperate detunes

This!

No midi in POG2. I've owned both a POG and a POG2 and was horribly disappointed with how the POG sucked tone and the POG2 sounded insanely digital.

Thanks guys,

Good to get some informations on first hand.
So the micro pog is Not the way to go?
I'll have a look at the pog or pog 2 then.
Difficult to try one as no music store around 100 km has one.
I'll keep you updated once I have news.

Alex

I own a number of pedals; Boss and otherwise. But my main pedalboard is a few Death By Audio pedals, Sobbat, Emma Discumbobulator, POG and M13.

I haven't noticed any loss of tone due to the POG or anything else for that matter.

Anything that isn't true bypass, or runs your signal through AD/DA conversion, is going to eat your tone away. Especially if you use a long pedal chain without a buffer, such as a boost pedal that is always on, at the beginning. Try playing clean with just your guitar into your amp using one cable, then try playing clean with your guitar into your amp putting your guitar through your pedal chain. There is a difference. A big portion of that would be the POG and any non-true-bypass pedals (such as anything by Boss, Ibanez, Digitech, Line 6, etc.).

I feel the "true bypass" debate at points is very overrated. I'm sure anyone who plays guitar will hear the diff and having the POG myself, yes I do hear a tone difference when I plug in Guitar-->Amp or Guitar-->POG-->Amp...but from here, the story splits: To me, the diff is really not worth even bothering about, true bypass or not it's not like it's butchering the tone. Same goes with Boss pedals (which I love, by the way).

Of course if you run 10 pedals you'll have some tone sucking, no doubt! But if we're talking 2-3 pedals max., true bypass or not really doesn't make a difference to me.

...and there is tone sucking like POG and TOOOOONE SUCKING like the DMM!!! :) So it really depends what gear it is. The '78 Big Muff I have is also one of those massive tone butchers. So as said: Depends. The POG IMO isn't that bad.

Then again, reading your comments over the past year, it is obvious that you have an ear for that and are very aware of any signal loss in the chain...and fair enough, to each his own. :)

I feel the "true bypass" debate at points is very overrated. I'm sure anyone who plays guitar will hear the diff and having the POG myself, yes I do hear a tone difference when I plug in Guitar-->Amp or Guitar-->POG-->Amp...but from here, the story splits: To me, the diff is really not worth even bothering about, true bypass or not it's not like it's butchering the tone. Same goes with Boss pedals (which I love, by the way).

Of course if you run 10 pedals you'll have some tone sucking, no doubt! But if we're talking 2-3 pedals max., true bypass or not really doesn't make a difference to me.

...and there is tone sucking like POG and TOOOOONE SUCKING like the DMM!!! :) So it really depends what gear it is. The '78 Big Muff I have is also one of those massive tone butchers. So as said: Depends. The POG IMO isn't that bad.

Then again, reading your comments over the past year, it is obvious that you have an ear for that and are very aware of any signal loss in the chain...and fair enough, to each his own. :)

I think one thing I never really mention is that tone sucking with regard to signal chains is amplified when long chains are used (even true bypass, though non-true bypass is more worse), even with shielded cables, if there are fluorescent lights anywhere nearby (hello stages!). A lot of times in our practice spaces, we can live with the tiny bit of tone sucking in that idea condition; but then live we wonder what the hell happened and why doesn't it sound good.

That is why I try to stick with true bypass AND put everything in its own true bypass loop so it's out of the signal chain when not on and in use.

If I had compression, overdrive, the POG, reverb, and delay all off in a chain in front of the amp in a place with fluorescent lights, the difference between that chain and that chain without the POG was staggering. The difference between the chain (which was all true bypass, by the way) minus the POG and straight into the amp was still there, but much less noticeable.

Back to the original question, "Difference POG2 / Micro POG"...

Back to the original question, "Difference POG2 / Micro POG"...

POG 2 (or an original POG like The Edge uses) is the more versatile pedal.

As is the norm in such things, trust your own ears. Try them side by side at your local guitar shop and let your ears and bank account be the judge.

Here comes an update.
Well, of course the best would be trying them side by side but no music store
around 100 km has one of them. That's why I asked for experiences forehand.

But now I had the POG2 at home for some days I had an extensive test session.
It sounds good and you can get a lot of cool sounds out of it. A very good shimmer btw.
But I couldn't get the right sound for Magnificent.
No matter what I did (and I tried a lot...days...). It sounded ok but nothing
like the sound in Magnificent. A guy on YT (sherm or so) has nailed it pretty good
with a POG2 an M13. So it must be me.:doh: I had it in front of the amp, in the FX loop of the HD500. I added delay and tried a comp and this and that...
Now way to get it that clear. Strange...
Unfortunaly I had to give the POG back as this guy I lend it from needed it.
So the journey will go on...

Alex

If you get ahold of another POG, let me know... I will send you the setting that Edge uses.

Here comes an update.
Well, of course the best would be trying them side by side but no music store
around 100 km has one of them. That's why I asked for experiences forehand.

But now I had the POG2 at home for some days I had an extensive test session.
It sounds good and you can get a lot of cool sounds out of it. A very good shimmer btw.
But I couldn't get the right sound for Magnificent.
No matter what I did (and I tried a lot...days...). It sounded ok but nothing
like the sound in Magnificent. A guy on YT (sherm or so) has nailed it pretty good
with a POG2 an M13. So it must be me.:doh: I had it in front of the amp, in the FX loop of the HD500. I added delay and tried a comp and this and that...
Now way to get it that clear. Strange...
Unfortunaly I had to give the POG back as this guy I lend it from needed it.
So the journey will go on...

Alex

Hey edge_orchestra,

please let me know the settings.
By next week I can get it back. Just this weekend he needed it.
It's a bit complicated as he always has to send it to me.

Anyway, Edge uses a POG (old version) and the POG2 has more options
more sliders etc.. I thought this would be the reason for the different sound?
I can try to adapt the settings to the POG2 then...

Thanks
Alex

Back
Top Bottom