Did edge really play the Music Rising Epiphone Les Paul at the Cannes gig?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rudybay

The Fly
how could he duplicate the black strat-WTSHNN sound with a 500 USD epi les paul??? his rig's prolly equipped for such moments...

oh and the telecaster sound also, during vertigo...

he used that guitar at the japanese TV show were they played window in the skies, and playback was used due to japanese decibel-level laws...

any insights?

of course it won't be carbon copy exactly like a strat on streets and a tele on vertigo, but it can be done in a pinch....a big part of the "sound" is in the effects and tone on the amp, right tribute edgeys? (i know the pickups and the wood of the neck etc are hugely important....but a few tweaks of the effects/tone/amp/whateveer and Edge could make it work I think...well i guess he did! :wink: )

eta: the joke being, of course, that i only wear a guitar - no clue about those sounds lol

Last edited:
Ive watched that clip quite a few times already, and there is no question in my mind that both edge is playing, and bono singing too. My only question is "is Adam playing?" When you listen to the intro to streets, clearly you hear the bass line, but when the camera shows adam, he doesnt appear to have a hand NEAR any of his bass strings. LOL

anyways, we all know they can all play, so frankly it doesnt really matter one way or the other.

cheers.

Yea there is nothing stopping him or anyone from playing streets on any guitar. I think it did sound a little different. For example there is no whammy bar on the Gibson, so couldnt have used it on the "the city's a flood..." part he does live.

he does the shake for the "city's a flood..."

and yeah, if you listen closely you can help hearing the clasic humbucker sound on streets, but the sound is almost dead-on black strat, my cheap Digitech RP-50 has got single coil and humbucker emulator effects...

there is tho a backing track on vertigo, the second guitar almost at the end of the song, its a riff that can be heard very very clear on native son, nice riff by the way, it sounded like it was a bit louder than edge's MR epi

I think that extra sound people are saying they heard was just what his name on the keyboad on the back. As for the bass intro on Streets, Adam never plays that on his bass. That is also a synthesizer noise for sure. Basically my point is that all of that performance was 100% live. I actually think that was kinda cool they had a real live person you could see playing keyboard.

Its somewhat hard to see, but if you look for it, on the left side of Edge, you can sometimes see another guy playing his explorer ;)

mandrake said:
I think that extra sound people are saying they heard was just what his name on the keyboad on the back. As for the bass intro on Streets, Adam never plays that on his bass. That is also a synthesizer noise for sure. Basically my point is that all of that performance was 100% live. I actually think that was kinda cool they had a real live person you could see playing keyboard.

Yes, the midi bass line is a synth, but Adam DID used to play it on the moog pedals. Watch R&H

Now, as for the "keyboard player", I posted this in the other thread..

I'm pretty darn sure a track is being used

watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYhwqA3dFXs

at about 1:20, the guy everyone thinks is Terry, and who some have said was "playing the synth". clearly steps away from whatever it was he was manning, and the midi bass synth is still going thru chord changes...therefore, he's not playing it

My initial thought was that he was running the mixing board....in the other videos I've watched he's doing 'mixing like' motions and I don't see his hands moving to the timing of the keys at all...he's also doing the same thing during Vertigo, and there's no reason for him to do that other than that he's running the monitor mix.. I'm stickin with that theory until I see proof otherwise :up:

EDIT: WATCH THIS VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmlb3ivtqU

enlarge your screen, go to 4:30...from there onward...that is a mixing board, hands down, not a synth, and he's not doing anything while the midi is playing, other than adjusting slider levels.

Last edited:
My opinion and its only an opinion is Your hearing little Edge. Vertigo is playback in my opinion with maybe a faint live Edge in the background. The guy behind them is Sam I think not Terry. Streets to me...well I want to say its live but logic tells me its not 100%. I think its playback and Edge strums over it. I simply cant beleive you can get a quack sound like that and if he had a special wiring or pedal...that just doesnt make sense to me as he could have simply used a strat and call it a day. I dont think anyone agrees with me but again its just an opinion.

As for the other guitars,They were supposed to play more...One ect but got cut short because they were late and Bono was hurting..(voice)

M

mick3b1g said:
I dont think anyone agrees with me but again its just an opinion.

M

Actually mick, after taking some of that into consideration, I think youre right on. I think im leaning towards your train of thought here. Makes sense to me, and even more so after watching it AGAIN. lol

and i cant pm you for some reason. wanted to pick your brain on some stuff. if you feel like it, shoot me an email. eddie_steklasa@hotmail.com

Mick you are right, the other guy over in the other thread's comment made me go back and listen again...the Edge is album Vertigo...meh...

But Streets...isn't there a part of the video that shows Edge's pick hand up close...during the intro....man now I have to watch it again

gah my secret is getting out...I'm really an Edge freak...he's what got me into U2...and to think that Streets was faked... :sad:

Its hard to tell.My opinion is he is playing no doubt on both songs and you probably can hear a bit of live Edge but for the most part your hearing backing or pre recorded sounds. Some say Edge can get a quack sound out of his Epi Music rising guitar....I dont buy it. If he really wanted to go for a quack sound (like he does) he would just have picked up a strat. Hem is the Edge so it wouldnt have been a big deal. To try and make one guitar sound like another to me is ridiculous. I may be wrong here and again its just my opinion. I know Vertigo isnt real so why should Streets. I think you can hear him but is in the background mostly.

I really hope Im wrong though

Mick

Only the extra part at the end of Vertigo is not Edge. You can hear it while Edge is playing something else and to me it sounds very much like a midi file to be honest. ^^

I disagree. I agree that that part isnt Edge but I also believe most of the rest isnt either. Listen to the very intro with the muting. Pretty amazing he can get that to sound just like the studio version...

It's not strange per se, just incredibly unlikely to a negative power of a million lol

Considering that "live" Cannes Vertigo sounds nothing like any of the 60-80 Vertigo bootlegs I have and not even like the official Chicago DVD, I'm with Mick here....plus I think he just *might know what he's talkin bout :wink:

I agree. Its one of those internet questions that really cant be answered, These kind of questions should be left alone.

Mick

gabrielvox said:

Considering that "live" Cannes Vertigo sounds nothing like any of the 60-80 Vertigo bootlegs I have and not even like the official Chicago DVD

"Elevation" also changed drastically to be more studio-like on the Vertigo tour compared to the Elevation tour - no 90 second intro. We'll have to see how it's performed on the next tour. For other songs, Edge has changed guitars. NYD comes to mind as one - see the Red Rocks NYD with the Strat, which sounds very close to later NYDs with the Les Paul.

Not to beat a dead horse but some things to really notice here are Edge used the music rising LP for both Vertigo and Streets. He kept that guitar on the neck pup throughout the 2 songs. We know Vertigo has at least 4 preset changes throughout and Streets at least 2. He not once hit any pedal in Vertigo during any of the preset changes but there was a change done for him during the Citys a Flood part in Streets. Also to my ears it sounds a bit dirty when the band kicks in during Streets which leads me to beleive both songs are pretty much backing with a faint live Edge playing in the background. Again I may be wrong but thought Id point out this stuff as its interesting. Check out some of the pics floating around. Last response from me on the subject...promise :)

Mick

Edge switched the pickup to the bridge position for Streets, and Dallas bent down and pressed a pedal effect with his hand (visible in the other video) before Streets and during the tremolo part (behind the amp). He also made an amp EQ adjustment before Streets, and at the end of Streets the first thing Dallas did after getting the guitar was to turn the amp volume down.

ntalwar said:

"Elevation" also changed drastically to be more studio-like on the Vertigo tour compared to the Elevation tour - no 90 second intro. We'll have to see how it's performed on the next tour. For other songs, Edge has changed guitars. NYD comes to mind as one - see the Red Rocks NYD with the Strat, which sounds very close to later NYDs with the Les Paul.

I don't know how you could conceivably think that Vertigo "Elevation" is remotely closer to to the studio version than Elevation "Elevation". The arrangement is further away from it, drastically yes, but in the other direction!

As for NYD, I can hear a distinct difference between Strat vs LP NYD!!

I already said that theres another person playing his explorer, but no one seemed to notice ;) I dont think he would have faked it, because I know it is possible to get a strat tone out of a LP. As for Vertigo, for all we know, he could have recorded the song with a LP. ;) Beautiful Day was recorded with an LP, yet he uses an Explorer for it live ;)

Back
Top Bottom